Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Front Lower Control Arms

How do I know when my front lower control arms go bad?
    I have a brand new set of Lemförder Control Arms. I had my left side control arm removed. I had every intention of installing it.... but I found no indication the ball joints were bad. I tried a pry bar on the other side, and same result. I can't convince myself the control arms are bad.

Is there a way to tell?

My front wheels do move a bit whenever I torque my bolts on. Is that a tell?

[edit]

Here's a video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmnQDh8A6eE
    I feel fairly confident my bushings are ok, as they are recently replaced.

If there's a front to rear movement of the front tires/wheels when you brake, the bushings need replacing (these usually go first). If you can squeeze the ball joint with water pump pliers at 12 & 6 & get any movement then the ball joint is bad.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

The bushings are good, but I've concluded I'm just going to do it.
    They're the orignal parts with 160k miles. Even if they're good now, if they go bad in 20k miles I have to shit $200 for another alignment.

I'm legit impressed with the BMW parts. I wish Lemförder made window regulators.

Quote Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken View Post
    They're the original parts with 160k miles. Even if they're good now, if they go bad in 20k miles I have to shit $200 for another alignment.
    I'm legit impressed with the BMW parts. I wish Lemförder made window regulators.
    They're shot/have been shot. Install the pair & get the alignment once. Hope it goes easily for you!
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

I have had bad luck finding a place that does good alignments for the ZHP. Wasted money at Firestone and the dealer. Finally found a shop that would do a true assessment and alignment.

Bmw did such a poor job it was undrivable on the highway.
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

And installed. 3 hours of intense work. New control arm bushings as well. Hopefully they'll seat properly once the car is lowered.

So I've got new struts (OEM Sachs), sway bar links, tie rods, control arms, and control arm bushings, in addition to the differential mount bushings I did.

Time for a mega alignment. I had a lot of luck last time at the dealer. They did an incredible job.