Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Installed new Struts, and now the front sits higher

Sachs 290 949 and 290 950

And now the front sits higher. The car doesn't seem to have quite the aggression it had.
    This was done in conjunction with new sway bar links, front control arms + bushings, and tie rod ends.

The car also doesn't feel as "sporty", but that could be my imagination.

I cross referenced the part with the struts I took off, BMW OEM (also Sachs) 2282459 and 2282460.

Did I do something wrong? Will the car lower with time? The only other thing I can think is that that I added a strut mount protection thing, but that's like 1-2mm, and shouldn't be that much.
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/51717036781/

Name:  IMG_5179.JPG
Views: 403
Size:  475.1 KB

Give some time for the suspension to settle in...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

In prev research I did, Sachs 290949 and 290950 are correct for the ZHP. Rob, I thought the suspension needs to settle only when you replace the springs ?
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

I messed up one side of my wife's car after I pulled the struts. It wasn't seated all the way down into the lower mounting point. Check and make sure the little alignment pins slid all the way down into the slot.

Also if you just got it aligned then the front camber would be way off if the strut wasn't fully seated.

Assuming the new shocks are the same as the old, the difference you feel may have to do with alignment changes from the job. Shocks don't settle.

Quote Originally Posted by nsk040 View Post
    Assuming the new shocks are the same as the old, the difference you feel may have to do with alignment changes from the job. Shocks don't settle.
    This is my thought as well. I'm pretty confident the springs are seated correctly. I've also driven it hard since then. Maybe the steering knuckle isn't seated all the way down, but I'm pretty confident I pushed that up pretty well.

I didn’t read that right, thought you got shocks and springs. ..
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

I would say the strut reinforcement plates added about 3ish mm in my experience on both of my non-M E46s.

Did you make sure the struts' guide pins were fully seated into their holes?

Quote Originally Posted by nsk040 View Post
    There is at least some initial settling from the car being in the air, etc. mine set way high until I took it out for a drive and things got back to normal.

Well, this happened:
    Name:  IMG_5182.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  722.2 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast