Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Great updates and pics here. Do you know the price to replace the headliner with alcantara ? My A / B / C pillars are in good shape.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Great updates and pics here. Do you know the price to replace the headliner with alcantara ? My A / B / C pillars are in good shape.
    Good discussion on it over here

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplian View Post
    Great update as always, George! Love seeing how the shop is developing and that have a great issue of having a lot of work/projects on hand!
    Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    +1 love reading your updates. Also, damn that top-down view of the esses at COTA is mesmerizing
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Great updates, I always love following along. Thanks for documenting and sharing.
    Thanks guy!

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Alfredo, I will send you an email with his contact info.

Re: Alcantara vs OE. I'm conflicted here. I had alcantara (but honestly most of the aftermarket coverings are not alcantara brand but a suede) in my wagon and I really liked it. One thing to note here though is the alcantara/suede is thicker (even in non foam backed) and that makes it much trickier to cover the A-Pillars correctly and allow the screw cover to fit securely.

We've spec'd OE for a ZHP project and for another slicktop touring project and for those cars I think it was the right choice. I don't think I would mix alcantara headliner and cloth pillars.
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Def great updates!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Time for another update.

A new customer brought in a car he just bought and wanted to address some concerns with the goal of bringing it up to his expectations on how a nicely sorted M3 should be. This is a real Imola slicktop ZHP that has been swapped with a S54 and had the body modifications to match it. We looked the car over and we made a list of things to take care of and then we started looking closer, it became a situation of "while we are in there" and that kind of snowballed into a huge refresh of the car. *As I was going through all of my pics, I realized I did not do a great job of documenting the before AND afters of this job.

First step the exterior trim. Both of the drip rail mouldings were loose and once pulled off to replace we found they had been real shoddily installed. The clips were broken and so they just double side taped the trim back on. We cleaned everything up and installed new clips and trim. The cowl end trim was missing so we installed that and installed missing clips in for corresponding trim panels. Then we installed and replaced various other trim clips that were missing and/or broken.

Next, interior trim. The console was pretty rough, but the armrest had been recovered with a Napa leather like material. Napa black armrests are NLA from BMW so we had to source a Montana black leather armrest and the switch the leather from the old to the new. At the same time we replaced all of the console pieces.

Then the seats had been very nicely recovered in MTexture, but the seat belts and buckles were old and tired and really clashed with the seats. New buckles and belts were installed for the front.

The front seats are heated and the heated wiring was routed incorrectly and showing in a way that really detracted front the seats so that was all corrected as well.

And now the big issue. The front seats originally came from a coupe and the seat belts mount to the chassis on the coupe and on the seat rail for the sedan. The sedan rails were not retrofitted to the coupe seats and then the seatbelts were just hastily fastened to the mounting hardware. We replaced the rails with the proper sedan rails to ensure the belts were safely mounted.

The car had some drivability issues where it would intermittently stall and the cruise control didn't work. First, the clutch switch was not even wired let alone properly to the DME and secondly the clutch switch was the wrong one. M3s use a different switch (orange) than all the other E46s (black). New switch and correctly wiring the switch got the cruise working and fixed the stalling issue.

More wiring, neither the oil pressure or charge indicators were working in the car. The wiring was routed for the oil psi light and the alternator indicator was turned on with coding. Then the LED indicators for the rear doors were added to the cluster so the cluster now functions fully.

The E-box fan was damaged and while under the dash a new one was installed.

Moving under the car we found the RACP had some popped spot welds so we pulled the rear subframe to address those. The car already had RACP plates installed we checked them out and it looked about as good as we could determine without cutting it apart. But the front spacer plates were only rtv'd to the chassis so we removed them and properly welded to the chassis.

With the back end apart we went ahead and refreshed everything. New subframe bushings, adjustable lower control arms and all remaining bushings and ball joints were replaced including ball joints in the RTAB location. We then replaced both outer CV shaft boots and had diffsonline rebuild the diff. Lastly we wrapped it up with a Bilstein PSS10 coilover kit.

Moving to the front suspension we didn't stop there and replaced everything in the front as well, new control arms, bushings, steering rack and tie rods along with the wheel bearings. Bilstein PSS10 kit up front with TMS camber plates. We had a terrible time we the camber plates as they were out of stock and kept getting delayed. Luckily we found a used set and refreshed them to complete the install.

The brake lines were dry rot cracked and with everything apart we found a couple caliepr piston dust boots were faulty. We took the opportunity to rebuild the calipers, replace the lines and hit them with some black paint.

After that was all sorted we took care of a couple items with the engine. Euro headers and cats we installed along with the proper euro header transmission/O2 wiring harness (pictured above).

The AC compressor was noisy so it was replaced while we were in there. P/S pulley was cracked and alternator pulleys were tired.

A new one on me, I have never seen this plug leak nor did I even know it was removable. Giving it a 1/4 turn got it secured and stopped the leak.

Lastly we replaced the oil cooler and lines with a good condition used part.

And on the alignment rack with my set of SSRs so the ARC-8s don't get scratched.

This car is now a blast to drive, it really is nice combination of pep with a composed suspension inside an eye catching package.
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Well done. I remember that car from BaT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/s5...i-zhp-6-speed/
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

This car turned out really nice, here are a couple more pics of the underside.

How come there is no rear v brace?

Crazy though it still needed work and that some corners were cut.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    How come there is no rear v brace?

Crazy though it still needed work and that some corners were cut.
    The mounts for the V-Brace to the chassis don't exist on the non-M3 cars. We don't add them to our conversions but the next one we might look into it, it's just not simple option at the moment.

"Just a couple of things" - Nice work!

Also, I get a weird fizzy sensation like James May every time I see M-Tech covered seats in an E46

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast