Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

New AC compressor belt shredded lower radiator hose--why?

Hello all,

Compressor recently went out, bought a replacement reconditioned one, plus new tensioners, ac drive belt, and main belt. My mechanic replaced everything. Driving it home, the ac belt sawed through my bottom radiator hose and came off the pulley. I have to leave town in 2 days and won't have time to get it back to my mechanic, so I'm replacing the lower radiator hose myself tomorrow. The ac belt mfg part # is 11287512762. Any ideas why this could have happened? The hose does not appear to be out of place at all. I am stumped as to how the belt and hose were in contact.

Quote Originally Posted by usinjin View Post
    Hello all,

Compressor recently went out, bought a replacement reconditioned one, plus new tensioners, ac drive belt, and main belt. My mechanic replaced everything. Driving it home, the ac belt sawed through my bottom radiator hose and came off the pulley. I have to leave town in 2 days and won't have time to get it back to my mechanic, so I'm replacing the lower radiator hose myself tomorrow. The ac belt mfg part # is 11287512762. Any ideas why this could have happened? The hose does not appear to be out of place at all. I am stumped as to how the belt and hose were in contact.
    You mean this hose right? Only way I could see that happening is is the belt was installed around the wrong pulley, but that seems really hard to mess up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeNick View Post
    You mean this hose right? Only way I could see that happening is is the belt was installed around the wrong pulley, but that seems really hard to mess up.

I actually think I figured it out. I'm a little disappointed that my mechanic didn't catch this. At his suggestion, I bought a compressor for an e46 330i sedan--not bothering to check the part numbers. So probably just my fault. Compressor pulley is 5 grooves--everything else is 4. When the belt gave up and flew off it slapped the radiator hose rudely in the face and shredded itself in the throws of agony.

I actually think I figured it out. I'm a little disappointed that my mechanic didn't catch this. At his suggestion, I bought a compressor for an e46 330i sedan--not bothering to check the part numbers. So probably just my fault. Compressor pulley is 5 grooves--everything else is 4. When the belt gave up and flew off it slapped the radiator hose rudely in the face and shredded itself in the throws of agony.
    He should definitely catch it if hes installing the wrong part

He should definitely catch it if hes installing the wrong part

I feel like it isn't possible, but is there any way the old pulley can simply be swapped over?

I feel like it isn't possible, but is there any way the old pulley can simply be swapped over?
    Based on the real OEM diagram the pulley and compressor are one unit, so I'm thinking no unless you do some modifications.

Based on the real OEM diagram the pulley and compressor are one unit, so I'm thinking no unless you do some modifications.

Interesting. Perhaps it's integrated with the clutch? Time to bite the bullet and buy the proper compressor it seems.

Interesting. Perhaps it's integrated with the clutch? Time to bite the bullet and buy the proper compressor it seems.
    I saw someone selling one on e46f for a fair price. Believe it was in the "misc E46 parts" section of the classifieds. Might want to confirm the pulley though!

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I saw someone selling one on e46f for a fair price. Believe it was in the "misc E46 parts" section of the classifieds. Might want to confirm the pulley though!
    Is it the 325 that’s being parted out? I think it’s the 5-grooved pulley from what I can tell

Is it the 325 that’s being parted out? I think it’s the 5-grooved pulley from what I can tell
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...0&share_type=t