Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Thread: Alternator

Alternator

So on the way home today, sitting in traffic, I get a red battery light. Car ran fine for the next ~20min until I got home.

When I get home I ran the BMW scan program. DME error for 27D [10202] BSD Generator. Ran the dash voltage display, ~12.2 engine off, 13.7 engine on no load, 12.4 with full load. When I let the engine cool off, I can start it and not get the red battery light.

Thinking that the alternator is going bad, and the heat is just making it worse. Your thoughts?

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2004 330i ZHP ESS TS2 supercharged
    Silver Grey/Black leather, Xenons, factory Nav, 19" VMR V710 & 18" ZHP wheels for summer, Turner Motorsports rear sub-frame kit

Certainly seems like a failed alternator at face value. But before you replace it, download a free Bentley manual and check all of your grounds. Obviously check connections at the battery and alternator as well. You'd poop your pants if you learned how many people have thrown $1000 at a shop for an alternator just to discover the problem was a poorly seated terminal connection.
    - '03 ZHP Schwartz Sedan/6MT: Bistein/H&R, PFC Z-Rated, Square 235's, Supa-Silky-Soft Coby Treatment (194K)
    - '04 M3 Alpine White Coupe/6MT: Track Prepped, Loved, *Sold and Missed (114K)
    - '04 ZHP Alpine White Coupe/6MT: Koni/H&R, PFC08's, *Totaled By a Wild Subaru On The Highway (152K)
    - '84 Mercedes Benz 300D/4AT: Bilstein Komforts + Michelin Rubber = Uber Komfort! (Who Knows)
    - '11 Honda Civic Si Sedan/6MT: The other half's VTEC machine/ the car that needs no work. EVER. (122k)

Was the alternator.

Got a discounted Bosch rebuilt alternator from ECS Tuning for only $90!!! Only because of a cracked plastic cover. Just cleaned up my old one and swapped it over and voila!

Read some reviews of disappointment of Bosch rebuilds around. Compared this one side-by-side with my original Bosch and the finish work on the rebuild actually looks better (soldering, coatings, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2004 330i ZHP ESS TS2 supercharged
    Silver Grey/Black leather, Xenons, factory Nav, 19" VMR V710 & 18" ZHP wheels for summer, Turner Motorsports rear sub-frame kit