I am considering selling my ZHP sedan in the coming weeks/months, and I'm struggling on how to price and sell it. The basic information on the car is that it's a 2004 Jet Black ZHP sedan, alcantara, silver cube, ~175k miles. A bit of history and context: I decided to downsize from a 335i in the summer of 2014 and wanted a ZHP sedan as something of a DD/project. At the time I knew that the price for a decent ZHP was ~$13k, which meant either finding a really clean example at that price, or picking up a car that needed some work and making up the difference in parts. I looked at several examples of each, and ultimately ended up with the latter. I picked this car up in August of 2014 @ 124k miles , as it's fifth owner, and knew upon purchase that this very much fell into the project camp.

Immediately upon purchase I detailed the car, ordered a re-wrapped wheel, re-covered the pillars, changed out all fluids, and began just generally getting the car back to decent shape. I spent the next two years taking really great care of the car, got it caught up on maintenance, performed all repairs (with upgraded parts where possible), and some minor modifications. At some point I legitimately got a bit disheartened, and realized that no matter how much I sunk into it, I had purchased a pretty rough example, and just did not have enough passion to keep going at the rate I was. From there on I largely just drove the vehicle and kept on top of maintenance, but never got it that last 10-20% of the way to truly clean.

At the beginning of the year I purchased another car, and while I initially planned on keeping the BMW around as a pleasure vehicle, I've ultimately realized that I almost never drive it. I'm considering selling the car, as I don't drive it enough, and am getting the itch to pick up an e92 M3 or a Cayman as a weekender. I really don't have any sense for the market on ZHPs these days, and hate to just toss it on Craigslist to get trashed.

The good:
  • Extensive maintenance history (partial list below)
  • Dynavin N6 w/ all accessories
  • Upgraded ZKW projectors - hella EvoX-R & Morimoto XB35
  • B&M short throw shifter
  • Rogue underdrive pulleys (purchased primarily for increased steering weight)
  • Bavsound speaker upgrade (even have an extra set of rear speakers) & pre-wire for sub
  • New center console including new cup holders, hazard switch, alcantara shift boot, alcantara e-brake boot, leather armrest cover - haven't even installed yet

Maintenance items that come to mind (could dig up most receipts):
  • vanos rebuild (besian systems parts) & valve cover gasket
  • most suspension parts & bushings replaced incl upgraded rear diff bushing, reinforced shock towers, upgraded rear trailing arm bushings to bearings
  • full cooling system including Stewart pump
  • Upgraded pads & rotors all around, rebuilt calipers, upgraded guide bushings, replaced ABS sensors
  • Guibo
  • Shifter rebuild including delrin carrier bushings (car has B&M short throw)
  • New steering pump
  • Spark plugs
  • Steering column coupler
  • Starter
  • Professionally repaired door lock module
  • Brand new battery (replaced 08/2020)

The bad:
  • Front bumper is a bit rough - plenty of rash, a bit of a sag. I can likely fix the sag, just never did as I always meant to put a new bumper on
  • Tear on driver's side seat bolster
  • Front passenger window needs re-tinted - more recent issue, again, I'd personally just get them all re-done
  • One accident at the rear damaged the bumper slightly, and created a 1" dent at the trunk
  • 1" door ding over driver's side rear tire
  • sagging headliner
  • pillars need re-covered
  • needs a new steering angle sensor or brake pressure switch (I believe it's the former)

As you can see the issues are largely cosmetic; but as a sum of their parts it makes the car pretty rough around the edges. I have no idea if it makes the most sense to sell this as is (or what a reasonable asking price is), or if I should throw $1000-1500 into replacing the bumper, having the seat, pillars, and headliner re-upholstered, having the windows re-tinted, and replacing the steering angle sensor in order to sell it in cosmetically better condition. I have more money than time in regards to this stuff these days, but I'm in no particular rush, and can likely find some weekends to get it cleaned up over the next few months. I just really don't know what the approximate value would be in either scenario.

Sorry for the novel, and sorry if this is the wrong place. I am just hoping somebody can point me in the right direction. If anybody here has any interest in a semi-well cared for and fairly mechanically sound ZHP please feel free to shoot me a message; I would be very open to any offers that put it in a good home.