Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Question for the Alpine ILX-W650 owners, or this may also apply to other Android Auto-capable head units. If my Android phone is plugged into the unit when I start my car, Android Auto does not start up. In fact, Android Auto doesn't even appear on the main screen. To get Android Auto to work, I have to wait for the ilx-w650 to boot up, then plug my phone in to get Android Auto. I would like to plug my phone in before I start the car and have Android Auto work. Is this possible? Do other Android Auto units operate the same way?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
    Question for the Alpine ILX-W650 owners, or this may also apply to other Android Auto-capable head units. If my Android phone is plugged into the unit when I start my car, Android Auto does not start up. In fact, Android Auto doesn't even appear on the main screen. To get Android Auto to work, I have to wait for the ilx-w650 to boot up, then plug my phone in to get Android Auto. I would like to plug my phone in before I start the car and have Android Auto work. Is this possible? Do other Android Auto units operate the same way?

Thanks.
    I have no experience with Android Auto but I don't think CarPlay behaves like this. I plug in once I get into the car. Then start it. Generally the Alpine switches over to CarPlay within 30 sec. Sometimes it doesn't. I simply unplug and plug it back in. I've caulked this up to the cable. But have not investigated it as I only occasionally drive this car. It works as intended 90-95% of the time.

On a separate note, I have been looking to add Wireless CarPlay. There seem to be to reliable Wifi to USB CarPlay adapters no available.

Hey all, I'm brand new to the mafia. Just curious if there are any updates about the best head unit options that don't require HVAC mods. I'm thinking one of the Sony units might be the way to go, but if there are any new market entries since this thread was started it would be nice to know! The enfig kit looks tempting (https://enfigcarstereo.com/SONY_XAV_...6_PACKAGE.html), have any of you bought and installed the kit? Watching the install video seems to show at 32:30 that it looks a bit "floppy"? When he pushes on the frame beneath the head unit, it looks like it not all that sturdy. I'm not on a super tight budget, so I'd be okay spending a little more to get as close to OEM appearance and quality as possible with the kit.
    Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by J3ss3 View Post
    Hey all, I'm brand new to the mafia. Just curious if there are any updates about the best head unit options that don't require HVAC mods. I'm thinking one of the Sony units might be the way to go, but if there are any new market entries since this thread was started it would be nice to know! The enfig kit looks tempting (https://enfigcarstereo.com/SONY_XAV_...6_PACKAGE.html), have any of you bought and installed the kit? Watching the install video seems to show at 32:30 that it looks a bit "floppy"? When he pushes on the frame beneath the head unit, it looks like it not all that sturdy. I'm not on a super tight budget, so I'd be okay spending a little more to get as close to OEM appearance and quality as possible with the kit.
    Thanks in advance!
    The folks at enfig seem to know their stuff. When I researched they were one of the only places talking about units that didn't require you to cut up the car. The parts I chose resulted in a solid install. It is not flimsy. But I'm not sure what dash kit enfig is suggesting. Sorry I don't have time to check. The Sony XAV-V5000 should fit. The key element is you want a shallow depth. If the radio's depth is less than the Sony XAV-AX1000 or the Alpine iL-W650, you will be fine. Good luck.

I'm looking to add an adaptor to make mine wireless.

I have an xtrons 9inch headunit with an apple CarPlay dongle. IMO: it’s the best bang for the buck out there. The CarPlay unit works flawlessly
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Quote Originally Posted by J3ss3 View Post
    Thanks in advance!
    Didn't see video. Do you have factory nav? If so, Avin, Eonon, etc are OEM like replacements.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Didn't see video. Do you have factory nav? If so, Avin, Eonon, etc are OEM like replacements.
    Nope, just the business CD, so I'd have to do the full process to move the climate controls, install the new plastic bits to house the double din, etc to make room. Thanks.

Are they out of the Sony units? I only see Pioneer as the option on that kit.

Hi,
    So my shop (www.sound-in-motion.com) just did this install for a friend's 2004 325xi. We used most of the Enfig kit.

I don't like that Enfig dash kit at all. There are better ones out there. The Janus is the best, but I haven't seen it available for some time. I used this one: Scosche BW2377DDB
    https://www.scosche.com/bw2377ddb

...which is on backorder, so I'd go with this one on Amazon if I were doing this now:
    https://www.amazon.com/Double-Radio-...ustomerReviews

It's much cleaner than the angled one from Enfig:
    Name:  DDIN1.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  24.7 KB

I also used this SONY XAV-AX1000 CarPlay receiver, because I wanted a physical volume knob and USB port on the front of the radio:
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV...AV-AX1000.html

Plenty of reverse cameras to choose from, but we like this one:
    https://rydeenmobile.com/product/cm-...backup-camera/

BTW, you know the SONY will fit without cutting when comparing it to the side view of the OEM Nav system:

OEM Nav:
    Name:  OEMNAV.PNG
Views: 631
Size:  876.2 KB

SONY side view:
    Name:  SONU.PNG
Views: 577
Size:  145.0 KB

Final installed pics:
    Name:  CarPlay.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  765.3 KB
    Name:  camera.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  1,002.3 KB
    Name:  Carplay2.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  743.1 KB
    Name:  HOME.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  750.5 KB
    Name:  Reverse.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  752.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    Are they out of the Sony units? I only see Pioneer as the option on that kit.
    I emailed Christian at Enfig, he said Sony's on a national backorder. He also said the Pioneer is superior. Anyone have any experience with the Pioneer DMH-W4600NEX. The head unit adds $300 to the install it, so it's ~$700 total package. I see @sna77 doesn't like the Enfig kit (which looked iffy to me in Christian's install video). Might need to do a bit more research before I pull the trigger on this.

Is the mafia's general consensus to avoid the Avin avant 4? I saw some e46 dude's youtube video praising it pretty highly.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast