Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Helping at the shop today. He's done a bunch of work already, but the parts I did was install a new slave cylinder, the bushing with the "bitch clip" at the back of the trans, and will do the guibo shortly.

It's pretty clean in there...

Just waiting...

And... We got the engine and transmission in!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I was going to suggest cleaning out the Ac evaporator and drain while the trans was out. I wish I had done it, getting a little mildew smell with my AC.

2004 BMW 330CI ZHP, Silver Grey Metallic, Dinan: Stage 2 Software, High Flow Intake,
    Free Flow Exhaust, Front Strut Bar, Stage 2 Suspension System, Staggered Hartge Replica Wheels,
    M3 Mirrors (Side and Interior), M3 Seats

330 touring, really cool project! I hope you were planning on replacing those front brake lines though, with the calipers just hanging like that
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by PdZHP View Post
    I was going to suggest cleaning out the Ac evaporator and drain while the trans was out. I wish I had done it, getting a little mildew smell with my AC.
    It wasn't even mentioned to me. Oh well, it's too late now. I didn't have any issues with my AC, thankfully!
    Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    330 touring, really cool project! I hope you were planning on replacing those front brake lines though, with the calipers just hanging like that
    Those brake hoses are actually in good shape, so we will not be replacing them at this time. That'll get done when I do the 330 front brakes, at which point I'll do calipers, pads, rotors and hoses. If the rear is as easy as previously mentioned, then I do the rears too.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

This is so awesome!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Great progress! I'm itching to build a wagon now...

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Do it!

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro

So, the "completion" of this project has come to fruition. The car was finished Thursday evening, just in time for our road trip to Georgia to go pick up Charlie's interior from Shawn. It really came down to the wire on this one. The car was supposed to have been done a while ago, but we kept running into issues, such as missing parts that needed to be ordered and bad driveshafts. Yes, I said driveshaft in plural form.

The driveshaft I had purchased ahead of time turned out to be bad. I didn't know what to look for when purchasing, and it was found that the U-joint was bad. It moved in one direction but not the other. So, that night I had made a late-night run to New Jersey to pick up a used driveshaft, which is the one currently installed.... which is also bad. This one allows the vehicle to be driven, but for some reason vibrates a bit between 55-75 mph. We don't know why; the joints feel good on it. The only issue was the CV joint needed to be repacked, which we did. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to have resolved the issue. I simply don't have good luck with driveshafts; a bad automatic driveshaft is what initiated my decision to 6-speed swap the car in the first place, which then snowballed into a motor swap. Sheesh... So, I'll be in search of a GOOD driveshaft, which is kind of hard to find.

Another issue we ran into was that despite doing everything correctly with the correct wiring and coding being done, the car ran like hot garbage when we started it up. It would idle, albeit a little rough, but once the throttle was blipped, it would bounce all over the place and stall. We chased our tails on this one for a good day or so, even reflashing the DME a couple of times, but that did nothing. We later found out that the Idle Control Valve that came with the motor was completely seized. We swapped it out with my old one and all problems were gone.

Anyway, the car was wrapped up and am quite happy with the results, other than the driveshaft. This motor doesn't leak at all; nothing from the valve cover, oil filter housing gasket, or anywhere. We did refresh a bunch of things while the motor was out, such as the thermostat, water pump, upper radiator hose, expansion tank, oil pan gasket, and tack-welded the oil pump nut. This motor is supposedly lower mileage (113k) and it feels it. Compression feels fantastic (didn't measure) and pulls like a mofo. It also feels great having fresh new transmission shift bushings and a proper gearbox to row gears in!

I did forget to take completed pics because I've had exactly zero time to even put my custom coding back before hitting the road, but I will leave y'all with this one glorious picture for now with a fresh new shift knob where it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    This is so awesome!
    More awesome than I had anticipated. Completely changed the car's character, even when I'm not pushing it around!

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    I'm biting my nails...
    This week surely has been a nail-biter. It was supposed to be done a while ago but a few things fought us; bad driveshafts, ordering parts, and issues with how it ran after we first fired up the new motor. Thankfully almost everything is sorted now, with the exception of the driveshaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Kudos to you BP! You had me at "pulls like a mofo"
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast