Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    You can, but they're in the $400 range. Only you and BP are OCD enough to spend that kind of $ on something that can be "good enough" with a few inches of electrical tape lol
    There's a much better option: leave the rails on. It looks better with them on anyway.
    There is no way in hell I'd spend $400 on a set of moldings.

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    It’s about completing the car... following thru to completion and not leaving it half assed...
    I'm with Charlie on this. In the event that something possessed me to remove the rails, I'd find the right coverings. Tape is not a reliable way to prevent water ingress.

But as I said before............. #railgang
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Congrats on the new acquisition. I love that combo, the natural brown especially.

Daylight runs out so quickly nowadays, making part swaps a bit frustrating. Today I was only able to accomplish two quick things...

First I swapped the gauge faces between the tourings. The Orient one had the older style with the redline starting at 6000 RPM and the other one had the one with the higher 6500 RPM. I like the updated style better, so I swapped 'em...

Older style:

Newer style:

I also thought about swapping the IHKA (HVAC controls) to the newer style one, but the updated one in the grey-green touring has several scratches on its face so I elected not to swap them. There is a good size difference between the two, with the updated one allowing more space behind it in case I want to tuck wires back there for something. I will have to find one in better condition before I change it out. For now I'll continue using my perfect conditioned older style unit.

Comparison between the two:

Older style (keeping this one):

Newer style:

Next, I swapped the tires front to back in order to troubleshoot the steering wheel shaking around 50-60 mph. That sort of thing usually ends up being the wheels or tires due to balancing or bad tires. In this case, it seems that is what's going on. The shaking isn't nearly as bad now, though I still feel a little bit of it in the steering wheel. I don't plan on keeping these wheels anyway, so this is not a big deal.
    Last edited by az3579; 04-10-2021 at 02:28 PM.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    The Orient one had the older style with the redline starting at 6000 RPM and the other one had the one with the higher 6500 RPM.
    Curious... just because you like the newer style gauge faces, your red line is still at 6k. Are you doing this just for looks?

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    Curious... just because you like the newer style gauge faces, your red line is still at 6k. Are you doing this just for looks?

The car's mechanical/DME redline is still 6500 RPM. 2nd gear shifts to third at 6500 RPM. The newer style gauge face just reflects the correct redline whereas the old one does not.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    The car's mechanical/DME redline is still 6500 RPM. 2nd gear shifts to third at 6500 RPM. The newer style gauge face just reflects the correct redline whereas the old one does not.

Very nice!!

Hey Botond, I am just catching up on your threads. Congratulations on new purchase!
    Blue over brown interior is a very cool combination!
    I hope to see this beauty in person soon

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RUS_ZHP View Post
    Congratulations on new purchase!
    Blue over brown interior is a very cool combination!
    Indeed. You know I'm a sucker for unique color combos. Gotta have my contrast.

More updates from this lazy afternoon. I didn't get going until early afternoon and was calling it quits by 17:30. I was going to take the hazard switch from Rusty to put in Wobz, but the connector was so lodged in there I called it off in fear of breaking something. Wasted time.

I did manage to put in some LED bulbs for the reverse lights and turn signals though. I couldn't do brake lights yet because I have yet to figure out how to get the LEDs to be at a normal brightness when the brakes aren't applied. I may play around with PWM settings.

Whoever worked on this car prior to me was a buffoon. I found various simple things broken and one seriously half-assed fix. This is the carpeted panel that you must remove to access the trunk light bulbs:

I was so afraid to try to unclip the third (last) clip that I didn't bother in fear of breaking it, not knowing how it unclips. Instead, I bowed down either side to get to the bulbs.

Here's another example of stupidity. The right rear door trim fell off while my colleagues were in the car (embarrassing). I found out that instead of replacing the door inserts the trim clips into, the idiot tried to glue it back in. Of course the glue failed and I had to scrape/dig these stupid inserts out. I didn't bother cleaning it up because the time invested wasn't worth the reward. The trim sits in there fine with new inserts.

I don't know what that schmutz was on the door panel but I wiped that off and transferred the non-marred trim (mine marred from falling on the pavement when the glue gave up).

I noticed a lot of the trim was dull and not shiny. All it took was a quick clean and polish with a microfiber to make it look decent.

Before:

After:

I kind of like this wood trim; not sure why so many people dislike it. It looks quite classy to me. If I can get my hands on Anthracite Birch trim though, I will!

I coded Xenons (option code 522) to complete the Xenon retrofit... onto the LCM that was causing problems in my ZHP. It's the 3.6 LCM that was reflashed to 4.0, which was doing weird shit in the ZHP. I decided to code it for the touring and reset to factory defaults and voila, all works well! I now have 5-blink and rear daytime running light capability.

Last edited by az3579; 04-10-2021 at 02:38 PM.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Beautiful! Nicely done. Great color color combo and I agree, that wood trim is mmmmmhhhhh, soooo nice. The shinny reflection of the trees on the road is an extra bonus and does give you 1-2 more HP I think.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Congrats, BP. Sounds like you are having fun with this Touring.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast