Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Update on the silicone spray maintenance on the window guides:
    The windows still move smoothly with no noises since I lubricated the guides almost 5 months ago. I will be doing this every 6 months going forward to be on the safe side now that I know this process works.

Updates on other stuff:
    I finally finished my interior trim wrapping project by matching the steering wheel trim to the rest of the interior trim. It used to be carbon fiber, which didn't match anything else, but all is well now:

I've since picked up some parts to hopefully erase some of this car's past. At some point prior to my ownership, it was broken into as there is clear evidence of this. Pry marks on the B pillars and an aftermarket driver's front window leave clues as to what happened.

To remedy this, I picked up a genuine side window with a BMW logo on it (though it still doesn't match the brand with the rest of the car, but whatever...) and a used seal to match since mine has holes in it. This one isn't great either but at least it doesn't have holes. The dealer can take their $350 window guides and shove it. I also picked up B pillar trim.

I had some thoughts about switching to a dry air filter as I'm getting tired of oiling the GruppeM's K&N filter as well as dealing with a shortened MAF lifespan. So, while I had the GruppeM out for maintenance (cleaning and oiling), I purchased an aFe Pro Dry S air filter for the stock airbox, hoping it would at least provide some more noise than the stock one. Unfortunately I am disappointed with the sound (might make a video soon). It doesn't have near the level of growl that a cone filter has. But, at least I have something to use while the GruppeM is being cleaned. The GruppeM will likely go back in the ZHP and stay there once I get the motor swapped, and will probably switch to a cone dry filter for the touring in the future.

The old filter was diiiiiirty...

New aFe installed:

I also had to replace the MAF. I know there are people who are hesitant to buy the OEM product (Siemens/VDO) versus the Genuine BMW one, but they're looking exactly the same from where I'm sitting, and functions perfectly. Save yourself the $100+!
    This is the one I purchased: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...or-13627566983

Old vs. new, old on top:

Old:

New:

While perusing euro options for a friend, I came across something I didn't know existed.
    Apparently euro spec tourings have clear third brake lights instead of red ones. Since I already have clear lights all around, it makes perfect sense to swap it out to match. So, I ordered one from Estonia, furthering my quest to make this car more euro spec.

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Apparently I had the aFe intake sitting in a box that I forgot about. This one came off the Titanic touring when I was swapping parts between the Orient and the Grey-Green tourings. Because it's a 325i intake, I couldn't use this anymore once I did the B30 swap, so in a box it went and I forgot about it until now.

The gears started turning in my head. People say you can't use a 325 intake on a 330, but I bet with the proper reducer coupling to adapt the fat intake pipe for the aFe to the 330's MAF, I could get it to work. I ordered this silicone 3.75" to 3.5" reducer from Amazon and will find out when it arrives.

While I wait, I cleaned the filter. I was pleased to find that this is actually the cone version of the filter I have in the stock box, which is also an aFe Pro Dry S. I'm happy for this because 1) I know this intake growls as I've had it installed before and I love the sound, and 2) I don't have to oil it. I had no idea until I saw the end cap. So now this is clean and ready for that coupler...

PXL_20220222_025952772 by botond.pal, on Flickr

PXL_20220222_030921053 by botond.pal, on Flickr
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Nice Botond. Looks like you engine will be getting a bit more air supply. Also, there should be some level of induction noise increase

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RUS_ZHP View Post
    Nice Botond. Looks like you engine will be getting a bit more air supply. Also, there should be some level of induction noise increase

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Ultimately, the sound is all I care about. I'll probably lose a little power, but with a stock 325 exhaust, you do what you can to get more sound because it is simply too quiet.

I did get the coupler in the mail today. It's a very tight squeeze, but after some manhandling, I got it on there. I doubt hose clamps will even be needed, at least until it breaks in for a while. But, it does fit... *in the voice of Jim Carey* like a glooooove!

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

On the 325i, you can just install the sound generator for more sound:

Part numbers: 13547510315, 13747510317, 13747510318
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    On the 325i, you can just install the sound generator for more sound:

Part numbers: 13547510315, 13747510317, 13747510318
    Weird... first I've heard of this. I really wanted to hate it but I actually kind of like it.
    It's all moot as my touring is a 330 now and from a cursory glance at the Google Machine, this is something that only fits the 325 intake. I couldn't find much info in the way of getting it to work on a 330 intake. Thanks for the info though, I learned something new today.

As for the aFe intake, I had to do some trimming on the silicone reducer as it's way too long (3" length). I trimmed it down to 2" total length; 0.5" from both ends. It now fits, but I now realize that I may have to swap my headlights out for a ZKW set.

The AL set has the ballast on the back of the headlight and the intake makes contact with the connector. It's all fine because I planned on swapping to ZKW housings anyway down the road as the housings themselves are superior to the AL ones for the following reasons:
    * They use proper metal clips for bulb retention instead of that stupid twist lock crap that limits what kind of bulbs you can use. With this setup, I can use LED bulbs in the high beam housing for LED instant-on flash-to-pass capability. I can also install the Morimoto 2Stroke LEDs in the low beam housing if I felt so inclined, though I will stick to Xenon for now as they are still better than LED bulbs in a projector housing.
    * The ballasts are on the bottom, allowing more "room for activities".
    * The city light holes are already open and don't need to be drilled. This is a mod I wanted to do to the touring as well (ZHP already has it).

I think the plan will be to swap in the ZHP's headlights, as they are already retrofitted with FX-Rs, and then retrofit LED projectors into another ZKW set for the ZHP for when it finally gets back on the road. I have a couple of spare sets of lights so I already have the base, just need to pick a set of projectors and retrofit them.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617