Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

The Orient Steed: Yet Another Touring Story

Botond is using my garage to do some much needed detailing to the roof panel of his touring. Compared to how it was before he detailed it, it is much better but will require professional attention to sort it out.

This is a man on a mission look

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by cakM3; 09-22-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Nerds-

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Very Cool, BP!

Long read but, well worth it. Good luck with making it worthy again.

Sent from my iPhone Xs using Tapatalk

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Nice BP! That Orient-Natural Brown color combo is beautiful. Everyone's getting into these tourings and I'm very envious.

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Beautiful! Nicely done. Great color color combo and I agree, that wood trim is mmmmmhhhhh, soooo nice. The shinny reflection of the trees on the road is an extra bonus and does give you 1-2 more HP I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Congrats, BP. Sounds like you are having fun with this Touring.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ZHPGUY View Post
    Very Cool, BP!

Long read but, well worth it. Good luck with making it worthy again.

Sent from my iPhone Xs using Tapatalk
    Thanks dudes! I keep telling myself I don't really enjoy doing all this and just wish the car was the way I wanted it, but for some reason I haven't really minded doing all these things. Maybe I'm getting less lazy... Who knows!
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Nice BP! That Orient-Natural Brown color combo is beautiful. Everyone's getting into these tourings and I'm very envious.
    You know, I was thinking about you specifically when I bought this one. I know you've wanted a touring for a while and you having an Orient ZHP would've made it a great pair. I think you know what you must do!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

More goodies.............

I installed a Dension Gateway BT Lite unit a couple of weeks ago. I was expecting it to be pretty close to the Dension Gateway Pro BT I have in the E39 touring. Unfortunately, it doesn't even come close. The Pro BT has configurable settings accessible via the menu on the head unit, while the BT Lite does not. Also, the BT Lite doesn't display text when Bluetooth music is playing, even though it advertises that BMWs and Toyotas can indeed display the text. I'll have to contact Dension support about this. Their support is fantastic so I'm hoping they can provide some resolution to this issue, as well as the fact that the Bluetooth volume is much lower than AM/FM so I always have to adjust the volume between switching modes. We'll see what support says about that. I had a similar issue with volume with the Pro BT that they were able to give instructions for resolution.

It's a nifty little unit, which does Aux, USB, and Bluetooth. The Bluetooth quality is pretty good, but I am very disappointed with the USB functionality. USB only works with up to 4 playlists, with no ability to browse by album. The Pro BT allows browsing by album and does everything exactly the way I want, but the BT Lite is a lot more restricted. I'm having some buyer's remorse with this particular product, and that pains me to say because I've loved every Dension product I've owned up until this particular unit. I really wish they made the Pro BT for the E46 non-nav cars...

I will give a huge shout out to Enfig Car Stereo. I originally purchased my iPod integration kit from them for my ZHP back in 2010 IIRC, and their support was phenomenal. I purchased the BT Lite from them as well, and it came pre-modified with the added wire required to eliminate engine interference noise from the audio, so all I had to do was plug and play! Thanks Enfig!

The added wire...

On another note, the dreaded final stage resistor issue reared its ugly head. After having just replaced it in The Vault, I dreaded doing this job due to the awkward positions one must contort into in order to access the final stage resistor. But, in fear of eventually having the same (or worse) issues as the E39, I manned up and just did it. I purchased the Rein unit from FCP and got it swapped out.

There is quite a difference between the OE unit and the updated part number. The new one is much smaller and has plastic, whereas the original was all metal and quite a bit larger.

Oh look, more OE goodness crossed out with a Sharpie.

The original part for reference:

While up at Charlie's Garage ™ this past weekend, I decided to swap out my headlight bulbs. The bulbs in there were OE Philips bulbs, P/N 85122. The ones I put I put in are Philips X-Treme Vision 5k bulbs, P/N 85122 XV2. The light output is a tiny bit whiter, which I like, and these were just a hair brighter from being almost new. Sorry, no output pics since it's practically impossible to pick up the differences with a phone camera.

I re-obtained the Style 68 wheels that came with Charlie's ZHP from my friend, who is not using them. The set had 3 nearly new Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires on them and 1 that needed replacement. Unfortunately they're staggered (wheels and tires), but I will wear them out first before squaring up my (2) sets of Style 68 wheels. The other set of 68's will be the winter tires, and will be mounting the nearly new Blizzak WS-80 tires I have for the E39. The car looks sooooo much better with 68's...

To top it all off, and to prepare the car for winter use, I dropped it off at the detailer's to try to get the paint corrected as much as he could without having to wet-sand the clearcoat. Overall it's a good 85-90% as it sits now, and for $300, I'm not complaining at all. He got almost all of the scratches out of the doors and fenders, which were pretty bad. He didn't put too much effort into the hood per my instructions since I'll be replacing that at some point in the future anyway.

I don't have a whole lot of pics as it was getting dark when I took this one shot. I'll get some more pics tomorrow if it's not raining, but it's forecasted for the next 4 days so that might have to wait.

Last edited by az3579; 04-09-2021 at 07:44 PM.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Great updates as usual.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Great updates as usual.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    +1

Quick question: What FSR symptoms were you getting?

Those $300 were worth the results.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast