Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Great Drives - Washington D.C. Area

  1. #1

    Great Drives - Washington D.C. Area

    I am trying to start this thread as a source for great drives and destinations around the Washington, D.C. area. There are fairly generic website sources for this but the lists I've found usually have the typical tourist attractions like the Washington Monument and Monticello near Charlottesville (which happens to be a very nice drive). But I'm interested in finding the hidden gems. For example, no matter what direction you are coming from, the Rocky Point Creamery in Tuscarora Maryland is at the end of some winding scenic roads through farmland -- and they offer great ice cream once you are there. A family favorite. Going to be great this fall when the leaves turn.

    If anyone has any favorite destinations in this otherwise very congested part of the world, I'd love to hear about them.

    Best,
    Dave M.
    2005 Imola Red; Black Leather

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    22841
    Posts
    9,410
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInMD View Post
    I am trying to start this thread as a source for great drives and destinations around the Washington, D.C. area. There are fairly generic website sources for this but the lists I've found usually have the typical tourist attractions like the Washington Monument and Monticello near Charlottesville (which happens to be a very nice drive). But I'm interested in finding the hidden gems. For example, no matter what direction you are coming from, the Rocky Point Creamery in Tuscarora Maryland is at the end of some winding scenic roads through farmland -- and they offer great ice cream once you are there. A family favorite. Going to be great this fall when the leaves turn.

    If anyone has any favorite destinations in this otherwise very congested part of the world, I'd love to hear about them.

    Best,
    Dave M.
    Plenty of good driving roads and attractions further south in my neck of the woods ( 45 min west of C-ville )

    His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

    Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Atlanta/Macon, Georgia
    Posts
    397
    A little ways away but up in Frederick, MD are some very nice rural drives. I loved driving around there.

    2004 Titansilber Metallic BMW 330i ZHP

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JPMo View Post
    A little ways away but up in Frederick, MD are some very nice rural drives. I loved driving around there.
    Indeed. I once had to get off of 70 West from Frederick because of an accident and got on Alt Route 40. Nice towns to drive through. And Shepherdstown West Virginia (via Frederick) is a great little college town for some craft beer stops and restaurants.

    DM
    2005 Imola Red; Black Leather

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    699
    There are links for old tour routes, etc., that the National Capital Chapter BMW CCA took - check it out:
    https://forum.nccbmwcca.org/forumdisplay.php?13-Tours

    The chapter is planning another pie run/tour on Nov 17th: https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...l-tours-291717
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    There are links for old tour routes, etc., that the National Capital Chapter BMW CCA took - check it out:
    https://forum.nccbmwcca.org/forumdisplay.php?13-Tours

    The chapter is planning another pie run/tour on Nov 17th: https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...l-tours-291717
    These are great. Thanks.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    2005 Imola Red; Black Leather

  7. #7
    On a weekend morning. Take the Clara Barton Parkway to Canal Road; through Georgetown for Brunch at District Commons restaurant at 2200 Pennsylvania Ave. As of October 2019, do not take the GW parkway - that road is in such disrepair your headliner will shake off.

    Then easy walk to the Lincoln Memorial, White House or Kennedy Center. Or check out the original CIA headquarters nearby.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    2005 Imola Red; Black Leather

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: ZHP Sedan with low miles in Oregon/Washington State area
    By BMWCurves in forum BMW 330 ZHPs For Sale (vehicles only)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-22-2014, 09:16 AM
  2. Great BMW Shop in the Raleigh Area
    By elric in forum Southeast
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-26-2013, 12:48 PM
  3. New to the Mafia! - Looking for great advice and a great 330I - any ideas?
    By Boardrider in forum New Members (or older members who have not introduced themselves)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-01-2011, 06:54 AM
  4. Replies: 141
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 01:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •