Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First day using the heater, but heater only blowing warm/cold air on max

Hi all,

As the title suggests, today is probably the first day of the year that the heater of my 330Ci has been used. Before I bought it, it had been garage-kept as winter started. My heater, however, did not blow any hot air for a while. It got a bit warm in the center two vents but the drivers side vent remained cold. I also turned it off for about five minutes, and turned it back on to the same results.

I also noticed that upon acceleration on the highway, the center vent air flow went a bit cold as well.

Here is some further information,
    -The car has about 96,000 miles on it, I have put on about 4000 since I bought it in June.
    -I had the AC gas recharged in June.
    -Recently, whenever I would turn on and off the a/c maybe a few weeks ago, I noticed a slight crackling noice, like paper unfolding near the front where the windshield is around. I don't suppose that is too much.
    -When I turned on the heater, I had it at max 91 degrees, gradually increasing fan speed. Is it bad that I immediately went to 91?
    -On the highway, when I noticed the center vents go cold, I was accelerating from about 40 to 55mph.

I can only assume the heater works well, since the car lived most of its life in Toronto. Any help and/or input would be greatly appreciated!
    1991 E30 Alpinweiß 325iX [SOLD]
    2005 E46 Sparkling Graphite Metallic 330Ci ZHP 6spd

I believe the e46 has a temperature knob like this one. Do you have it set to red ?

Name:  knob.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  849.8 KB
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    I believe the e46 has a temperature knob like this one. Do you have it set to red ?

Name:  knob.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  849.8 KB

Okay yeah feeling like a total idiot now. Does it also affect the drivers' side temperature too?

mine looks like this... with the dial set to blue (cold)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Pete

What’s your engine temp running at??? It should be mid range. If it’s low you need a new thermostat. If it’s mid, it may be related to a heater control valve.

Also need to check coolant level (COLD) and if it shows low, fill it and maybe bleed it.

I can elaborate, if needed.

Sent from my iPhone Xs using Tapatalk

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Thank you everyone, but it turns out I didn't have the center temperature knob moved at all. I guess this is what happens when you've never had that in a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dano516 View Post
    Thank you everyone, but it turns out I didn't have the center temperature knob moved at all. I guess this is what happens when you've never had that in a car.
    All good - happens to everyone at some point. The Germans put that in so you can have warm air coming out of the floor to keep the cabin warm while cool air is blowing in your face to keep you alert. It's pretty nice.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dano516 View Post
    -When I turned on the heater, I had it at max 91 degrees, gradually increasing fan speed. Is it bad that I immediately went to 91?
    It shouldn't make a difference, when used like that. But you should set it to the temperature you want to get when using the auto setting. I keep mine at 60 for the winter.

There is no need to set it to 91. Set it to a temperature you would feel comfortable with (ex: 70) and it'll automatically blow whatever temperature air and at whatever fan speed it needs to in order to reach that temperature and keep it there.

Adjust whether you want it to blow hot or cold air with the slider instead. It's far easier than constantly adjusting the temperature.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    It shouldn't make a difference, when used like that. But you should set it to the temperature you want to get when using the auto setting. I keep mine at 60 for the winter.
    Effing yeti over here gd

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast