Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Buying Winter Tires

Hello All,

I've been searching for winter tires for a while now, making sure I don't mess this up, but the most recent winter tire threads seem to be a bit old.
    I have found the Blizzak LM001 225/45R17 to be ideal, since we don't get a crazy amount of snow in New York City, but where I live, the snow doesn't seem to get plowed so fast, with a bit of hills to add to the mix.

Anyone have opinions on the LM001? I'm currently seeing them on Ebay, just over $800 for a set of four. I plan on mounting these to my winter wheel accessory style 23 M-Contour 17x7 rims.
    1991 E30 Alpinweiß 325iX [SOLD]
    2005 E46 Sparkling Graphite Metallic 330Ci ZHP 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by Dano516 View Post
    Hello All,

I've been searching for winter tires for a while now, making sure I don't mess this up, but the most recent winter tire threads seem to be a bit old.
    I have found the Blizzak LM001 225/45R17 to be ideal, since we don't get a crazy amount of snow in New York City, but where I live, the snow doesn't seem to get plowed so fast, with a bit of hills to add to the mix.

Anyone have opinions on the LM001? I'm currently seeing them on Ebay, just over $800 for a set of four. I plan on mounting these to my winter wheel accessory style 23 M-Contour 17x7 rims.
    I ran Bkizzak’s in northern Ohio for a few years 7+ years ago and they were excellent. I know it’s hard to improve on excellent but, Bridgestone probably has.

I grew up in Buffalo, NY and know snow pretty well. If you’re not dragging the under carriage, you won’t have an issue. Had Mich, Pilots before and was not impressed.

Sent from my iPhone Xs using Tapatalk

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

I was not impressed with pirelli sottozero. I am running very cheap snow tires now and they do the job very well. Staying soft when it's super cold is half the battle. Get some thick grooves, and you're on the move!
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

The LM's I believe are the performance winter tires from Bridgestone. They should be higher speed rated IIRC and have better dry handling than the WS line. The WS line is better in the snow and ice, and LMs are better in the dry while still having good snow capability.

I have WS-80's on my touring and used them on the ZHP before I retired it from winter use. Nothing has stopped me yet.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Look at Nokian tires specifically Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3. The company HQ is in Finland and those guys know what snow is all about

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by 3ZHPGUY View Post
    I ran Bkizzak’s in northern Ohio for a few years 7+ years ago and they were excellent. I know it’s hard to improve on excellent but, Bridgestone probably has.

I grew up in Buffalo, NY and know snow pretty well. If you’re not dragging the under carriage, you won’t have an issue. Had Mich, Pilots before and was not impressed.

Sent from my iPhone Xs using Tapatalk
    Sheeesh, Buffalo huh. I guess I'm pulling the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    I was not impressed with pirelli sottozero. I am running very cheap snow tires now and they do the job very well. Staying soft when it's super cold is half the battle. Get some thick grooves, and you're on the move!
    I was actually quite tempted by the sottozero prices, but thanks for the insight!

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    The LM's I believe are the performance winter tires from Bridgestone. They should be higher speed rated IIRC and have better dry handling than the WS line. The WS line is better in the snow and ice, and LMs are better in the dry while still having good snow capability.

I have WS-80's on my touring and used them on the ZHP before I retired it from winter use. Nothing has stopped me yet.
    Well if this winter in NYC is anything like last year's, we're going to have no boundaries in fluctuating temperatures. The WS line would probably be overkill for me, especially because last week was in the low 40's and today it's 60 degrees, a trend I expect to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Look at Nokian tires specifically Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3. The company HQ is in Finland and those guys know what snow is all about
    I've seen nothing but good reviews for the Nokians, but these prices are going to kill me though.

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano516 View Post
    I've seen nothing but good reviews for the Nokians, but these prices are going to kill me though.
    Check out costco.com for their recent sales on Michelin and Bridgestone tires.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast