Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nokian invented winter tires. You're darned right they're the best.

But... they're pretty hard to find locally. A lot of places don't carry them.

Speaking of which... I have (4) 16" nearly new studded Nokians if anyone needs a set!
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

+1 for Hakkas. Swear by them up here in Montreal, just mounted a new-to-me set of Hakka 8 on Style 68s.

Although, in NYC you might be better served by good all seasons you run year-round. I drove 3 years on DWS06 in Vancouver (BC) and it was plenty good enough for the occasional snowfall and biweekly ski trips up in the Rockies. Just gotta drive more defensively when on snow.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by alexandre View Post
    +1 for Hakkas. Swear by them up here in Montreal, just mounted a new-to-me set of Hakka 8 on Style 68s.

Although, in NYC you might be better served by good all seasons you run year-round. I drove 3 years on DWS06 in Vancouver (BC) and it was plenty good enough for the occasional snowfall and biweekly ski trips up in the Rockies. Just gotta drive more defensively when on snow.
    I will never agree to all seasons being acceptable in the northeast. Driving defensively is not really all that possible in NYC; you need as much traction as you can get. The drivers in NYC are abominable; cutting you off and slamming on their brakes is as normal occurrence there.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

I’m currently running Toyo Celsius 225/45R17’s on my 330xi DD. I live in Vermont, have been through a few storms so far, and am VERY impressed. They’re advertised as all-seasons, but they’re fully winter-rated (mountain symbol). They have great traction in crappy conditions, but their “grip” on asphalt is significantly less than normal ultra-performance all-season tires (kinda fun at times). They normally go for $140+, but I caught them on sale at Walmart (online) last summer for $87 each (ka-ching!). I would definitely buy again for that price.
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

Discount Tire has 10% prepaid MasterCard by mail on your total purchase amount when you buy 4 tires and/or wheels.

Get an extra 5% by using your DT credit card.

Nov 28 thru Dec 01.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    I’m currently running Toyo Celsius 225/45R17’s on my 330xi DD. I live in Vermont, have been through a few storms so far, and am VERY impressed. They’re advertised as all-seasons, but they’re fully winter-rated (mountain symbol).
    Those are actually "all-weather" tires, not all-seasons. I recently found out this category exists, and I am certainly intrigued by the category. These have better winter grip than all-seasons do and are designed for areas that get snow but also have plenty of dry days. I don't think all seasons really are for areas that get significant snowfall but instead places like the south where it might get cold but don't really get much (if any) snow, with the capability of handling some very light snow action if needed.

For those that live near cities where the roads are regularly plowed, I'd say all weather tires are a good bet. I originally wanted to get some Nokian WR G4's (all weather tires), but they seem to be impossible to get, so I gave up on that idea.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

I ran blizzak for quite some time and then got tired of paying the premium. Been running sets of General Altimax Arctic's for the last few seasons and have had no issues. Currently $150 ea on TireRack.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonin88 View Post
    I ran blizzak for quite some time and then got tired of paying the premium. Been running sets of General Altimax Arctic's for the last few seasons and have had no issues. Currently $150 ea on TireRack.
    What premium are you referring to? WS-80's are less than $150 ea in 225/45-17 size.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Not sure exactly what model of blizzak I was purchasing, but they were certainly more than $150 each. Currently on TireRack the cheapest blizzaks in 225/45/17 are $186 ea. And that's a closeout deal which includes road hazard as well.

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonin88 View Post
    Not sure exactly what model of blizzak I was purchasing, but they were certainly more than $150 each. Currently on TireRack the cheapest blizzaks in 225/45/17 are $186 ea. And that's a closeout deal which includes road hazard as well.
    Tire Rack usually isn't the cheapest with a lot of things. Walmart has them at $142 per in 225/45-17 size. Giga-tires is at $141.84 per.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast