Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Cross shopping is always good, but I typically count on TireRack for a few reasons. Free shipping, even to an installer. This is nice so i don't have to lug around tires, plus free and fast. Road hazard is included on nearly all tires, with a few exceptions. While they might not be the cheapest, their amenities are worth a few bucks and pretty much levels out the playing field when shipping and road hazard is added to the cart for competitors.

Those Generals are also a rebranded winter tire from sweden and hold up pretty well to the competition.

Funny story about walmart haha. I bought my first set of General winter tires from them and figured I would have them installed while I was there. They couldn't figure out how to get the existing tires off the wheels. Had to go to a tire shop to get them done anyway.

Not to nitpick semantics, but an internet search of Toyo Celsius yields numerous references to them as all-seasons.
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    Not to nitpick semantics, but an internet search of Toyo Celsius yields numerous references to them as all-seasons.
    Yeah, they're marketed as all seasons, but your previous observations are spot on. The mountain symbol indicates the tire meet severe snow service standards. Their design is balanced more towards winter performance, and you can see that by the tread. The con is that they don't do so well in the summer and won't last as long as typical all season tires.

I had Vredestein Quatrac 3s on my previous car. They did pretty well in the snow. It was just a regular fwd sedan, so they were worked in the summer for me too. It's a good year round tire for someone who wants better snow performance, but doesn't want to change tires or need better summer performance.

It’ll be interesting to see how long they last (rated for 60k miles). I put 50k miles on a year—95% on interstate—so they might be the perfect commuter tire for me to throw on each fall. As I mentioned, though, they certainly lack the performance of normal ultra-performance tires (e.g., Toyo Proxes, which are quite good). For $87 a piece, it’s a no-brainer, but I’d look around before spending $140 each.
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    Yeah, they're marketed as all seasons, but your previous observations are spot on.

Well the semantics matter in this case because the performance between all season and all weather is measurable. The Toyo Celsius tires are most definitely not all seasons. Toyo directly calls them "variable weather" on their website, but a promotional video they made for it directly call it an all-weather tire. Look at the tread blocks on them and you'll see they directly fit into that category. All seasons don't have all those extra sipes that these have.

The promotional video:
    https://youtu.be/lAXdgPZiZX0?t=120
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Well the semantics matter in this case because the performance between all season and all weather is measurable. The Toyo Celsius tires are most definitely not all seasons. Toyo directly calls them "variable weather" on their website, but a promotional video they made for it directly call it an all-weather tire. Look at the tread blocks on them and you'll see they directly fit into that category. All seasons don't have all those extra sipes that these have.
    Yeah, those look pretty aggressive. On their site, they say they're in between winter and all season tires. I was thinking all season in terms of that they can be used in all seasons.

Vredestein makes a somewhat less aggressive severe snow service tire now, the Quatrac 5. But it has a lower treadwear rating than the Toyo tires. On their site they say:

The best tyre for all seasons

The Quatrac 5 gives you the luxury of one tyre for all weather conditions without compromising on safety or steering precision
    On the sites that sell the tire, they post the following description:
    The Vredestein Quatrac 5 tire is an all-season passenger car tire with an edgy design and new tire technologies for long tread-life, safety, grip and a smooth ride.

The Vredestein Quatrac 5 tire offers low rolling resistance, short braking distances on wet roads and an exceptionally quiet ride. The 3D grip claws in the tread deliver higher levels of grip when cornering and accelerating on snow and ice. You get greater stability and improved handling on dry surfaces from the innovative tread design thanks to the asymmetric outer longitudinal grooves. This tire is very wear resistant and offers a long tread life from the full silica compound.

I'm glad more companies are entering the segment for those in the more northern climates, though I'm less than amused by their choice of category name "all weather" for confusion's sake. lol

I'll have to do a closer dig to see just how much of a difference there is between winters and all weather tires. If they're pretty close I might downgrade to a WR G4 next time around, since our roads are generally decently plowed. If there's too much braking distance difference then I'll stick with the WS-80's.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Part of the difference—if there is one—between all-weather and winter might be the lack of noise. I’m surprised how quiet those Toyo Celsius tires are.

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandre View Post
    +1 for Hakkas. Swear by them up here in Montreal, just mounted a new-to-me set of Hakka 8 on Style 68s.

Although, in NYC you might be better served by good all seasons you run year-round. I drove 3 years on DWS06 in Vancouver (BC) and it was plenty good enough for the occasional snowfall and biweekly ski trips up in the Rockies. Just gotta drive more defensively when on snow.
    Yep I totally would too, but my PO had pilot supersports on and they currently have plenty of tread left so I figured i just get winters.
    1991 E30 Alpinweiß 325iX [SOLD]
    2005 E46 Sparkling Graphite Metallic 330Ci ZHP 6spd

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123