Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New HID etc...

New HID etc...

Long time ago for my e36 328i, I got these amazing HID's from somewhere I think called apex, and i paid like $120 for them, and they were BRIGHT af and i was super pleased, with glass covers to boot. I installed those myself, took a couple of adjustments to make sure I didnt blind people and cars, and was perfect.

My current xenons are working but dim, and cleaning the stupid plastic only lasts like 2 months, and I really want those type of HID again, cant be beat in illuminating the road, esp since I live in this area that has like no lights coming into the home area.

Anyone know something similar now, I cant find that apex place anymore, somewhere that sells low cost HID that will work for me?

Also, is it just as easy to install on the e46? It probably took me like 30-40 minutes last time in the e36, which to me is totally acceptable, although again there is always the chance of some stupidity happening with an older model somewhere.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

And should I actually be looking for LED instead of HID's? Like this one vs

https://www.amazon.com/VIPMOTOZ-Proj...ve&sr=1-6&th=1

vs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/02-05-BMW-E...ally+Aspirated
    Hankook Ventus V12

You probably have ZKW housings which suffer the burnt bowl issue. BMW had 2 "brands" of headlights on the e46, ZKW and AL. There are many threads about it throughout the forums but its due to a defective design from factory resulting in poor light output after after several years. Theres a few ways to get around it but I wouldn't buy those cheaper housings, they'll likely end up leaking and you'll have to replace them.

You could try to find a used set of AL housings, which don't have the burning issue and typically go for about $250ish or retrofit new projectors in but thats very labor intensive. I had the same issue and decided to buy a brand new set of Magnetti's Marelli (basically the same as AL) for $800, which was an absolute steal that I couldn't pass up.

2004 Titansilber Metallic BMW 330i ZHP

Actually, decided to look my eBay history and see where I got mine and looks like the price is back down. These typically go for like $1200 for the set.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-Right-...72.m2749.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by JPMo View Post
    Actually, decided to look my eBay history and see where I got mine and looks like the price is back down. These typically go for like $1200 for the set.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-Right-...72.m2749.l2649
    Thanks... so these are the CHEAPEST replacements I should go for? Wasnt prepared to spend a grand on new lights...

Whats the real chances that some of those $300-500 ones will go defective within a couple of years? I dont think I will be keeping this car more than that.
    Hankook Ventus V12

Quote Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
    Thanks... so these are the CHEAPEST replacements I should go for? Wasnt prepared to spend a grand on new lights...

Whats the real chances that some of those $300-500 ones will go defective within a couple of years? I dont think I will be keeping this car more than that.
    Yeah, the cheapest OEM replacements, That I would go for, but like you discovered there’s plenty of cheap options that are non-OEM.

Some people have said that the AL housings will also get the burnt bowl issue after a few years so there’s a possibility that you could buy used set and find that’s it’s not as bright as expected. That’s why I decided to just suck it up and buy the new housings and not worry about it. They should last the remainder of the cars life. Driving with the dim headlights was becoming really dangerous and frustrating.

And arent Depot's pretty established brand?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-Angel-...ally+Aspirated
    Hankook Ventus V12

Quote Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
    And arent Depot's pretty established brand?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-Angel-...ally+Aspirated
    They pretty crap... As most Depo's products are. There are exceptions, but they are of generally cheap quality with regards to E46 products.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I would DIY a retro or something. Or get some cheap halogens and do a projector retrofit on that. Otherwise just look for used set of AL xenons. Those will be your cheapest options in your price range.

What do you guys think about these retros?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bu.../2003_BMW_330i

I was thinking replacing my Low/High and Fogs for max light with HID... seems like most are under $200 here.
    Hankook Ventus V12

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast