Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New HID etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
    What do you guys think about these retros?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bu.../2003_BMW_330i

I was thinking replacing my Low/High and Fogs for max light with HID... seems like most are under $200 here.
    Get the morimoto fog lights for e46 m3. They're not showing up since all that is for 330i and they don't know you have an mtech bumper. They're definitely what you want for the fog lights.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Get the morimoto fog lights for e46 m3. They're not showing up since all that is for 330i and they don't know you have an mtech bumper. They're definitely what you want for the fog lights.
    I see these for the lights, same brand, good quality?

https://www.bulbfacts.com/hid-kits/recommended/

https://brisource.com/collections/af...19836394897472

and seem to have good reviews?

For fogs u mean this one?
    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bm...E46?quantity=1

Mo's site seems to be selling it for $50 more.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

Just to get this straight, you already have replacement headlights that you are putting this HID kits into? Because if you're putting it just in your car as is (from the picture I see in your sig), you already have xenons (ZKW, from what we're thinking). So you're probably going to need new projectors and new bulbs (D2S).

For the fogs, you can put in HID. it'll just blind everyone. Not only that, but it will eventually fuck up your LCM lol I would go with LED bulbs to be safe. But they aren't much brighter, they will just be whiter. I have some yellow incandescent bulbs if you want to go that route too.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    Just to get this straight, you already have replacement headlights that you are putting this HID kits into? Because if you're putting it just in your car as is (from the picture I see in your sig), you already have xenons (ZKW, from what we're thinking). So you're probably going to need new projectors and new bulbs (D2S).

For the fogs, you can put in HID. it'll just blind everyone. Not only that, but it will eventually fuck up your LCM lol I would go with LED bulbs to be safe. But they aren't much brighter, they will just be whiter. I have some yellow incandescent bulbs if you want to go that route too.
    Right now I dont have anything.... Yes Ia m pretty sure they are xenons since when I turn them on they take a few seconds to light up slowly... but my issue is they have for some reason gotten yellow and dim, and the scratched up plastic case lens doesnt help either (I did the shine kit on them but that only lasts like 3 months and it gets all hazy and nasty again) So I am looking for brighter, whiter HID to replace... so u saying I might get away with just replacing the bulbs?

Then what about the hazy plastic lens? I really miss my 328i glass lens I got... so clear and clean...

Well I think with HID fogs if you point them down enough it should be ok for incoming but I am not averted to LED, I am just hoping they are not much more expensive and slightly concerning was the talk about heat buildup around the LED device...

Bottom line I just need a lot more like in my black as night neighborhood before I run over some dog walker at midnight, or kid, and for high speed night driving on the highway... I know what bright proper lights are like from before and right now I am very unhappy with these.

Do I need to post more pics or videos of my current hardware to make it easier to get proper advice?
    Hankook Ventus V12

You need to replace your projector bowls if they are original. That is why you can't see at night. The plastic is probably destroyed.
    As for lenses, since you have a sedan, they are replaceable. But, that isn't the cause for your lack of visibility. Start with the projectors, then work your way from there.

You're best off buying a set of AL headlights from eBay and calling it a day. They are almost plug & play.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    You need to replace your projector bowls if they are original. That is why you can't see at night. The plastic is probably destroyed.
    As for lenses, since you have a sedan, they are replaceable. But, that isn't the cause for your lack of visibility. Start with the projectors, then work your way from there.

You're best off buying a set of AL headlights from eBay and calling it a day. They are almost plug & play.

Something like these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AL-Headligh...0AAOSwDQdeWgjQ

Do I not need new bulbs?
    And they have all these other variables, I have no idea how to check, like:

Bulb Size:D2S ( if your car is using D1S/D3S bulbs, you will have to change it to D2S bulbs to use this projector lens)
    Feature: Bixenon projector lens, offers both high beam and low beam pattern. With sharp and clear low beam, and far and focusing high beam.
    Beam Pattern: LHD/ RHD ( if you need RHD please specify in your order detail)
    Brightness: 3400 LM
    Lens Size: 3.0 inch
    Lens material: High Clear Glasses
    High/Low Control Motor: 2018 New updated motor with longer lifespan.

Attention: If your E46 is with ZKW D2S bixenon headlight, you should take the following kit:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/322426304400

or this one is like a "kit" I guess includes the bulb, ballast, everything, dont I need these new also to be safe?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-E46...TBFL4hFuJmKoSw

(thanks for the help)
    Hankook Ventus V12

Quote Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
    Right now I dont have anything.... Yes Ia m pretty sure they are xenons since when I turn them on they take a few seconds to light up slowly... but my issue is they have for some reason gotten yellow and dim, and the scratched up plastic case lens doesnt help either (I did the shine kit on them but that only lasts like 3 months and it gets all hazy and nasty again) So I am looking for brighter, whiter HID to replace... so u saying I might get away with just replacing the bulbs?
    It sounds like you have the burnt projectors problem. The best route like az3579 mentioned would be to buy the AL versions of the xenon headlights used.

Otherwise, if you have the skills, you can replace the projectors in your headlights with something else.

Or go with halogen headlights, and retrofit in that because it's a lot easier since you have more material to work with.

Then what about the hazy plastic lens? I really miss my 328i glass lens I got... so clear and clean...
    You can brand new ones. Or if you go ahead and polish yours out again. Put PPF on it so that it will stop oxidizing. Because you polished off the protective coating, it will keep turning yellow/hazy again because there's no protection now.

Well I think with HID fogs if you point them down enough it should be ok for incoming but I am not averted to LED, I am just hoping they are not much more expensive and slightly concerning was the talk about heat buildup around the LED device...
    The fogs are meant to shine to the sides and immediately in front of you. If you point them down as much as you can, they become useless lol I mean you can still if you want. I recommend using a relay though. Because eventually the LCM will fail. It'll affect your cluster too. LED replacement bulbs are bright too. It'll glare too, but it's less bright than HIDs. Also you can get the Morimoto LED fog lights. Those are complete housings that actually have the correct beam/cutoff. It's pricier though.

Bottom line I just need a lot more like in my black as night neighborhood before I run over some dog walker at midnight, or kid, and for high speed night driving on the highway... I know what bright proper lights are like from before and right now I am very unhappy with these.

Do I need to post more pics or videos of my current hardware to make it easier to get proper advice?
    Yeah I know what your headlights look like with the burnt bowls. It's as if you have really old halogen headlights lol But I gave you some options to think about I guess. You need to figure out your budget. If anything, I wouldn't even bother with the fogs, it's taking money away from your real problem which are the headlights lol

It sounds like you have the burnt projectors problem. The best route like az3579 mentioned would be to buy the AL versions of the xenon headlights used.

Otherwise, if you have the skills, you can replace the projectors in your headlights with something else.

Or go with halogen headlights, and retrofit in that because it's a lot easier since you have more material to work with.

You can brand new ones. Or if you go ahead and polish yours out again. Put PPF on it so that it will stop oxidizing. Because you polished off the protective coating, it will keep turning yellow/hazy again because there's no protection now.

The fogs are meant to shine to the sides and immediately in front of you. If you point them down as much as you can, they become useless lol I mean you can still if you want. I recommend using a relay though. Because eventually the LCM will fail. It'll affect your cluster too. LED replacement bulbs are bright too. It'll glare too, but it's less bright than HIDs. Also you can get the Morimoto LED fog lights. Those are complete housings that actually have the correct beam/cutoff. It's pricier though.

Yeah I know what your headlights look like with the burnt bowls. It's as if you have really old halogen headlights lol But I gave you some options to think about I guess. You need to figure out your budget. If anything, I wouldn't even bother with the fogs, it's taking money away from your real problem which are the headlights lol
    Thanks for the advice... Ya I need to get them but after az told me, I listed some options and I'm still not sure exactly what to get... I have no clue about all this stuff, i.e., the projector, causing, ballast, bulb, so many parts and I know not all items for sale, especially on eBay, include everything I'll need, so how do I know I'm getting ALL that in need in the purchase?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Hankook Ventus V12

You just need the projectors if you are going for OE ones. The 3" bixenons are the ones that you would want to go for if you're sticking with the AL projectors. You shouldn't need anything else. If your bulbs are in good condition then you can re-use them. But if they haven't been replaced within the last 5 years, I would you suggest you get new ones cause they are probably on their way out.

I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of those projectors in a box somewhere. I'll look for them tomorrow. If I find them, I'll send them to you for free, just pay shipping. Should have bumped this thread 3 weeks ago during my move lol I just threw away a shitload of projectors/headlights that I couldn't take with me during the move lol I had a quad projector retro I could have just given you lol

You just need the projectors if you are going for OE ones. The 3" bixenons are the ones that you would want to go for if you're sticking with the AL projectors. You shouldn't need anything else. If your bulbs are in good condition then you can re-use them. But if they haven't been replaced within the last 5 years, I would you suggest you get new ones cause they are probably on their way out.

I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of those projectors in a box somewhere. I'll look for them tomorrow. If I find them, I'll send them to you for free, just pay shipping. Should have bumped this thread 3 weeks ago during my move lol I just threw away a shitload of projectors/headlights that I couldn't take with me during the move lol I had a quad projector retro I could have just given you lol
    Hey it's this one, it won't let me message you anymore! I hope you see this

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Hankook Ventus V12

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast