Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Koni Special Active and Bimmerworld RSM

Last summer I installed Koni Special Active rear shocks and Bimmerworld lifetime RSM's on my 2005 ZHP Ci. All seemed just fine until this fall. On ratty potholed roads, I was getting a rattling sound. Loked through threads and at first was concerned it was the rear diff bushing going bad, but it looked like it was in good shape. I finally stripped everything out of the trunk and crawled back there and put my hand on top of the shock while my wife drove down the road. The sound for sure came from the shocks and timing coincided with the vibrations coming through the shock. I ordered Meyel HD RSM's and installed them this weekend. Seems like it cured the problem.

I ran the Bimmerworld RSM's on my 325i sedan with sport suspension and Sach's shocks for over 200k with no issues. Anyone out there have any issues running the Koni Special Active rear shocks and Bimmerworld lifetime RSM's?

2005 330ci ZHP

Shouldn't be any different than with any other shocks with those RSMs. Probably just got some bad ones. I probably would have went with like the RE one though. That way you don't have to take apart the trunk the next time you need to take the shock out for some reason.

Meyel HD seems to have a bad reputation lately...

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

Ahahah, that's dedication: "honey drive the car around slowly while I go hang around in the trunk".

Nice way to find out though!
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    Shouldn't be any different than with any other shocks with those RSMs. Probably just got some bad ones. I probably would have went with like the RE one though. That way you don't have to take apart the trunk the next time you need to take the shock out for some reason.
    Yeah, unclear to me as well, can't see why this combo would be an issue. All I can think is the rubber bushings on these mounts need washers on the outsides. This places a metal washer against the convex metal gaurd that goes over the bump stop. I'm guessing I was getting some bounce that made these two rattle against each other.

By the way, what is the "RE" style? Not familiar with that.

2005 330ci ZHP

Quote Originally Posted by stephenkirsh View Post
    Meyel HD seems to have a bad reputation lately...
    Have had good luck with Meyel, but certainly have read comments from others who have not. They are really inexpensive, so if they go out quick its an easy fix.

2005 330ci ZHP

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Ahahah, that's dedication: "honey drive the car around slowly while I go hang around in the trunk".

Nice way to find out though!
    Ha ha, yeah, felt pretty contorted back there. But the rattle was driving me nuts. Fortunately, I have the fold down seat backs so I went in through the back seats.

2005 330ci ZHP

Quote Originally Posted by E46Fan View Post
    Rogue Engineering - https://www.rogueengineering.com/3-S...g-M_c_415.html
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Quote Originally Posted by E46Fan View Post
    Yeah, unclear to me as well, can't see why this combo would be an issue. All I can think is the rubber bushings on these mounts need washers on the outsides. This places a metal washer against the convex metal gaurd that goes over the bump stop. I'm guessing I was getting some bounce that made these two rattle against each other.

Well those are designed exactly like OE with just different rubber bushing material so they shouldn't have any problems unless it was defective.

These are the RE ones:
    https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rog...E46_p_270.html

Reinforces the RSM. You can see that the studs face down so you can remove/install the shocks from under the car now. No need to take the trunk liner every time since you can access it from outside. I guess you could always cut a flap in your trunk liner too to gain access. I cut mines to be able to access my adjuster knobs. You can't see the cuts when you put the flap back.

I actually had a clunking noise after a few months with FSD's and the RE mounts. I climbed back there to listen as well and I just needed to tighten the top nuts a bit. Getting them torqued to spec is pretty difficult.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast