Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

help with suspension refresh in Ga

Hello all,

I’m working on acquiring the parts for a suspension refresh on my ZHP. I’m currently in Macon, Ga, located about an hour south of Atlanta and live in an apartment. Ideally I wanted to try and do it myself however I’ve never done a job this big and I really don’t have the space to try it. I’m awaiting a few quotes from some shops in the area but I’m expecting them to be more than I’d like to pay. If anyone in the Atlanta area would be willing to help me out with the install it would be much appreciated. I don’t mind compensating for your time and can supply food and beverages!

2004 Titansilber Metallic BMW 330i ZHP

I'm too far away and I have only done this job once. The back is super easy, the front, takes some expertise.
    If you have good spring compressors, it is doable. There is an order to this madness. The key, when you put in the new shock with spring compression assembly in the front, is that you have to put the top part of the unit in the shock tower and secure with a couple of nuts. THEN, attach the knuckle at the bottom of the shock.
    Then you need a special socket. Take a look here starting with post #124.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

I'm in Atlanta. I did my full refresh last summer. It's not difficult at all! (except the spring compressor part *shudder*) How far do you want to go with the refresh? Just shocks and struts? Bushings? Control arms?
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Quote Originally Posted by DeathTrap View Post
    I'm in Atlanta. I did my full refresh last summer. It's not difficult at all! (except the spring compressor part *shudder*) How far do you want to go with the refresh? Just shocks and struts? Bushings? Control arms?
    Yeah going pretty much all the way. Control arms, some bushings as I already did some, tie rods, Bilstein B8s and h&r sport springs With new mounts

I don't think you would need a spring compressor for h&r sports. You may get lucky in that regard.
    Everything is very easy. Unless you run into a red Loctite'd nut, it's a remove and replace deal. I can definitely see how it can be intimidating though!

I have a few vids on my youtube page and I just followed 50skid instructions. Everything came out as expected...except when I did the bushing replacement...
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

I have this spring compressor and it is wonderful for our struts and makes the whole job a lot safer. Worth every penny.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DP2CDJU..._S2fmEb10RHMQ9

You don't like the cheapo Chinese-made hooks that can snap because of crappy metal? For shame, how do you live without that kind of excitement?

I’d be willing to try, it’s just that I have an apt currently so I’d either have to drive to my parents and try it there or pay to do it in Atlanta somewhere

Well, when I don't have spring compressors, what I did is just take everything (shocks/springs/top mounts) to a local shop and pay them to put the strut mounts on. The most they ever charged me was like $40 for both of the fronts. Worth it for the amount of time it saves me and it takes them like 5-10 mins to do. Since you're replacing everything and including the strut mounts, you might as well just get it done in advance. It'll be a straight swap once you start working on your car.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    Well, when I don't have spring compressors, what I did is just take everything (shocks/springs/top mounts) to a local shop and pay them to put the strut mounts on. The most they ever charged me was like $40 for both of the fronts. Worth it for the amount of time it saves me and it takes them like 5-10 mins to do. Since you're replacing everything and including the strut mounts, you might as well just get it done in advance. It'll be a straight swap once you start working on your car.
    Interesting, so what you’re saying is ask them to put the strut mounts on and give them the new shocks and springs to replace them with or have them do the mounts since it saves you headache later?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast