Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

New guy from Colorado

Hello everyone from Colorado...

I flew out to California last August to pick up a 03' 6spd ZHP and found that the owner had not been exactly "forthcoming" about the condition of the car. I took a chance and brought it home to Colorado and began going through what seemed to be an endless sea of issues and misrepresentations. I would have probably sold the car if I wasn't able to turn my own wrenches, but it's now back on the road and it's one more ZHP saved from the grave.

New guy from Colorado

Welcome to the Mafia You will find a lot of info from this site. Lots of good people to help you as well

Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Enjoy your ZHP ownership

There’s a factory airbag recall (15JAN2020) regarding replacement of the front passenger’s side air bag inflator assembly so check with your dealer. Your ZHP is part of the factory recall.

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro

New guy from Colorado

Welcome. Where in CO are you located? I’m in Denver with a 2004 in black sapphire. Got mine in Seattle 2 years ago and drove it back. I was in the same boat in that sea. Luckily most of the issues with mine turned out to be relatively minor. What all did you have to do to get caught up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome, sir. You will love this forum. Any pics ?
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by JETSET303 View Post
    Welcome. Where in CO are you located? I’m in Denver with a 2004 in black sapphire. Got mine in Seattle 2 years ago and drove it back. I was in the same boat in that sea. Luckily most of the issues with mine turned out to be relatively minor. What all did you have to do to get caught up?

Well, the PO told me a story about him buying the car when he lived in Utah and that it was mostly stock except for the intake and exhaust. He sent some photos that looked good so I booked the flight. When I got there I noticed that there were some slight, but noticeable, larger dents on the roof, trunk lid, and rear passenger quarter. Plus, the clear coat was bubbling in a few places. Then I drove it and heard a lot of road noise that was coming from the mismatched tires and terrible ride of the fancy coilovers he told me were installed. So it was either drive the car back to Denver or pay for the zillion dollar ticket and fly back.

I made it back to Denver, stopped for an emissions test, and that's where the fun began. It had a full Supersprint exhaust (including headers) so I wasn't overly surprised, but the readings were pretty over the top even for HFC's. I pulled out the intake and found a broken hose to the regulator and two cracked intake boots. Once those were fixed I found a bad DISA o-ring and intake manifold gasket. I also found some larger Red Top injectors and heat shielding which leads me to believe that the car had been suprcharged at some point. Oh, and the big brand coilovers turned out to be chinese eBay specials in the front and severely rusted Bilsteins in the rear.

Here are some highlights from a rather lengthy list:

Rebuilt Vanos with new seals and anti rattle kit
    Replaced primary tensioner spring
    Flash DME with updated stock tune
    Replaced cats
    Struts/Shocks - (replaced with koni/H&R and new pads)
    Replaced Guibo/Center Support Bearing
    New intake boots/hoses
    New Tires
    Replaced MAF and repaired MAF wiring
    Replaced rear brake pads
    Repaired passesnger mirror ribbon cable
    Replaced DISA o-ring
    Replaced injectors and orings
    Replaced intake manifold gasket
    Replaced spark plugs
    Replaced primary tensioner spring
    Repaired drivers headlight wiring
    Replaced radiator and expansion tank

Welcome. Sux to hear but glad you sorted that all out. That's a lot of stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Welcome, and the community is happy to hear that you saved a ZHP today!

Excellent job and sorry to hear all the stuff you had to deal with, that's a lot a torquing!
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Welcome, and the community is happy to hear that you saved a ZHP today!

Excellent job and sorry to hear all the stuff you had to deal with, that's a lot a torquing!
    Yep... That's the short list too. Had to do a little welding on the exhaust to seal a couple of leaks at the joints... Plus some other fun stuff. There's still more on the to-do list, but at least I can drive it.

Well, guess that means you have a relatively mechanically sound ride now...