To muddy up the waters a little bit more: we just put a set of Pilot AS3+ on the E60 and I’m not sure how I feel about them.

• Dry grip: excellent for an all-season tire. I have taken some flyover ramps at speeds that would make the ZHP with summer tires blush. I haven’t done too much stupid shit testing (3,700lbs, long wheelbase, auto gearbox, public roads) but it takes a lot to get the tires talking, and I’ve yet to break them loose.

• Wet grip: as @ZHPizza mentioned it’s been monsooning in North Carolina and they have been pretty damn solid in the rain. Highway speeds and inches of standing water aren’t much cause for concern.

• Winter grip: uhh, closest we’ve had this winter is some slush...but they safely got me to and from Home Depot in said slush at butthole puckering speeds of 35mph!

• No flat-spotting. There have been several very cold stretches where the car hasn’t moved for 5-7 days and the tires were perfectly fine. The old Conti’s flat-spotted in the same situation.

BUT...

• They’re expensive. #MichelinTax. Got them during a Costco special of $75 off + free installation and it was still $850ish (that car has 245/18).

• In dry weather they seem to have a little more noise than I would’ve expected from arguably the highest rated A/S tire currently on the market. It’s probably fine in a brand new car where the noise insulation is so good you can’t hear an ambulance 2 cars behind you. But I find them annoying without the radio on, and the E60 is a really quiet cabin compared to the E46. Depending on your mods and your noise tolerances that may not be an issue.