Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Tims 05 ZHP restoration and build

This is continuation of my introductory thread. For purposes or staying organized and giving everyone the complete picture I am going to copy and paste my first post over here.

Hi Everyone. My name is Tim, I'm a Euro specialty mechanic in Annapolis, MD. I love cars and have owned at least 30 over the past 15 years. When I'm not at work, Im in my home garage working on my own projects or customers cars. I'll save my stories of other projects for later since the real focus of attention here is my newly acquired ZHP.

A few years ago a bought a 2003 VW Jetta 1.8t 5sp from a customer at work that couldn't afford the repairs. Paid a few hundred for it with intentions of parting it out and making a little money. I was very preoccupied with a personal customers 95 Porsche 993 engine reseal, timing chain and transmission replacement that I never even touched the Jetta. Fast forward to last weekend when a friend of a friend reached out to me asking about my Jetta and mentioned he wanted to trade me his 05 BMW 330 straight up for the Jetta. He said the engine was hydro-locked on the BMW. I figured Ive got nothing to loose and made the trade. Both parties satisfied with the deal and boom history was made!

After looking over the car and it's featured I realized it was different than all the 330s Ive driven in past years. Thats when I discovered this forum and that my deal of a century netted me a ZHP for cheap.

I pulled the spark plugs and cranked the engine. This resulted in 6 geysers of black gold shooting out of the cylinders! Awful mess. Put the plugs back in and it started right up and idles smooth except that it billowed smoke from the tailpipe. Long story short, bad Crankcase vent valve (oil separator) caused oil to be sucked up the dipstick tube. Replaced all the PCV stuff and the engine runs perfectly with no smoke. Score!!

Now comes the fun part! Considering the low price of admission, Ive taken it upon myself to restore this car to its former glory and keep it for myself. No thoughts of selling it in the foreseeable future. Dirty is an understatement. Id like to document and share the entirety of my project with everyone here. This story is developing quickly and progress being made everyday. Ive only had the car for exactly 7 days at the time of this posting. Hopefully someone here can point me in the direction of where I can post this build/restoration.

TLDR: Got ZHP super cheap, dirtiest car I've ever cleaned, restore and build. Stay tuned.

The first order of business was get it running and confirm the engine is good. Otherwise I would swapping a 1JZ into this chassis. good news is that engine runs great after a breather system replacement. I didn't take any pictures by y'all know what all that looks like anyway.
    Last edited by Suppra87; 05-03-2020 at 03:19 AM.

Next up was cleaning and boy was there a lot of cleaning. I removed the 2 front seats, vacuumed and steam cleaned the carpets, scrubbed all the leather with Chemical Guys cleaner and reconditioned it all with Chemical Guys leather conditioner. Turned out very good. I was able to recover the alcantara e-brake boot with Sonax cleaner but the shift knob, shift boot and steering where were way too far gone. On order is a new boot, knob and wheel all from Colby Wheel. Ill update when those parts come in. I also had to remove nearly every switch from the car to clean out food, vape juice grime and other bio-hazard stuff from the tiny crevices.

Here's some before and after pictures of the front seats. I also thoroughly cleaned all the grime from the undersides of the seats and re-lubricated all the sliding points and gears.

2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Subscribed. Great progress

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

I can't speak highly enough about these products. Amazing what a quality product cleaner and some patience will do!

like i said, diamond in the rough. interior turned out great, the coby touches will only add to that.

cant what to see how the exterior turns out.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Good score! I would've liked to see a 1JZ swap, but this will do.

-Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Quote Originally Posted by BADCLOWN View Post
    like i said, diamond in the rough. interior turned out great, the coby touches will only add to that.

cant what to see how the exterior turns out.
    Couldn't agree more. I was surprised by the interior. Exterior is going to be a few weeks out I think. I need to finish all mechanical, suspension, brakes, fluids first before I start cleaning up the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathTrap View Post
    Good score! I would've liked to see a 1JZ swap, but this will do.

Stay tuned, you just might get to see that. My original thoughts on this chassis, given a bad engine, was to swap the 1JZ from my Cressida into it. I blew up the rear diff in my Cressida this past summer and have been looking a for a better chassis ever since.

Here's my Cressida 1JZ build for those of you interested...https://www.celicasupra.com/threads/...-build.120867/

1JZ swap would be hella interesting. Nice TACO btw
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast