Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Chasing down oil leak

I just had my ‘03 ZHP sedan (140k miles) at a local Indy shop for unrelated issues and while it was there they raised concerns over a few leaks that they spotted. Now I was aware of a slow oil leak that left a few drops in my garage and required topping off my oil every ~1k miles. I’m also aware that I haven’t cleaned the underside in way too long so a lot more than I see on the floor could have built up on various parts (shame on me). They are citing the oil pan gasket, crankshaft seal (front), and VANOS line as the culprits with a reference to a “possible OFHG leak” for which they recommend re-eval after the others are dealt with.

Now this is a pretty well recommended shop, so I’m hesitant to second guess, but Occam’s razor makes me think it would make more sense to start with the OFHG before diving into more expensive and labor intensive repairs like that pan gasket or crankshaft. I understand the filter housing gaskets are very likely leak sites - and have seen several accounts where the OFHG was leaking onto the oil pan and front of the block, which would explain all of the leaks they brought up with one source rather than 3+ leaks.

Am I crazy? Would it be obvious that it’s the other sources on their own, not runoff from the OFHG?

Depending on how dirty things are, it can be hard to pinpoint the leak. If you can go under there safely and inspect yourself once you've removed the underpan, then you can see for yourself.

You are correct though that it might come from above (OFHG). If I remember right, when my OFHG started leaking, it came down to the floor. I guess that is how I knew.

Not sure what a crankshaft seal leak would look like.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

My mechanic replaced the Vanos oil line and OFHG on my ZHP at 144k miles. I noticed some oil spots on my driveway. Those 2 repairs were the fix. I paid $430 OTD but I believe the labor rate has gone up. It was $85 at that time, 3 hours billed.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Yup, start easy and build up, or btr yet, find the source instead of them guessing. Btw, ofhg leak usually means the exhaust smokes grey smoke.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Replacing the oil pan gasket requires to lower the subframe. It's a good idea to replace the engine mounts and steering coupling at the same time.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Replacing the oil pan gasket requires to lower the subframe. It's a good idea to replace the engine mounts and steering coupling at the same time.
    ^ ^

I did this job and also installed an oil pan baffle while I had it out.

It’s a bitch to do, but you bite the bullet and do it. If you have access to a lift, great. If not it sucks even more, but it’s doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken View Post
    ^ ^

I did this job and also installed an oil pan baffle while I had it out.

It’s a bitch to do, but you bite the bullet and do it. If you have access to a lift, great. If not it sucks even more, but it’s doable.
    Exactly why I’m stalling. I don’t have the stuff lying around to make the oil pan job anything less than a huge pain in my ass;, and I had actually been thinking about a baffle after reading your thread but definitely don’t have any welding gear (or talent). That’s why I’m hoping it’s worth doing the easier jobs now and putting off what will ultimately for me require outside help until I’m ready.