Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question Time for a commuter car?

Hey everyone! Occasional lurker here, and a 7-year ZHP owner ('04 6MT Silbergrau/Alcantara). It took me over a year to research, locate and buy this car (sold by an amazing owner from here). Expensive to fix, but downright the most powerful and best driving experience I've ever owned.

I've now had a ~20 mile commute in Washington, DC traffic everyday, and I'm am thinking of swapping my ZHP out for a more comfortable automatic that's just as powerful. As much as I love the stick shift, its starting to get harder to drive in stop-and-go traffic. DC roads aren't that great to start with, so I feel every bump in the road. I'm craving a more comfortable driving experience, specially since I sit in traffic for so long, which is now causing back issues for me ☹️. Fuel economy is not a big consideration, but I'd like a fairly decent gas mileage (~25-28 combined)

I have several questions for the group -
    • Is it a bad idea to swap my baby for another? Will I regret selling my ZHP? Will I never find the same power and driving again?
    • Is it common to develop back issues after driving for an hour each way? Am I doing something wrong?
    • Does the stick shift start to feel like a chore or do I need to get it looked at?
    • What is the best next car / DD in your minds? I’m considering at 2015-2017 Volkswagen Golf GTIs or BMW 2 series. Any experience with either?

Thanks much and I'm looking forward to your replies!
    --Sree

Mods: Crossposted to the Off Topic Car Discussion forum a well. Let me know if I should delete a duplicate?

1) Yes, you will regret it. This car has spoiled me in ways that I really wish it hadn't. There isn't another car with perfect blend of subtlety, handsome looks, driving involvement, luxury (it isn't an eco mobile with cheap interior trim), power, character, etc.

2) When my commute was 1+ hr, it was fine, but I also have a healthy back. If you have any previous injuries or underlying issues, I could see it being a problem as the ride is still "stiff." Swapping to 17" wheels would soften it a bit.

3) The stick is fine, even in Atlanta traffic. It's a very soft and forgiving clutch, easy to manipulate, etc.

4) The best car would definitely be something M57 powered imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Quote Originally Posted by DeathTrap View Post
    1) Yes, you will regret it. This car has spoiled me in ways that I really wish it hadn't. There isn't another car with perfect blend of subtlety, handsome looks, driving involvement, luxury (it isn't an eco mobile with cheap interior trim), power, character, etc.

2) When my commute was 1+ hr, it was fine, but I also have a healthy back. If you have any previous injuries or underlying issues, I could see it being a problem as the ride is still "stiff." Swapping to 17" wheels would soften it a bit.

3) The stick is fine, even in Atlanta traffic. It's a very soft and forgiving clutch, easy to manipulate, etc.

4) The best car would definitely be something M57 powered imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks, man. Any specific M57s? Lighter, smaller, good value?

Since we are on a BMW forum, I will recommend another 3 series: the e90 2009-2011 328i. Those model years are the facelift (LCI) version. That engine (N52) is very dependable. You don't need to worry about turbos or injectors. The prices are very reasonable as well. I used to have the 2006 e90 330i and sold it to my father in law. The car sits at 130k miles with just regular service and maintenance. Still runs like a champ.

Don't sell your ZHP. Is there any chance you can keep it as a weekend car ? GL on your decision.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Since we are on a BMW forum, I will recommend another 3 series: the e90 2009-2011 328i. Those model years are the facelift (LCI) version. That engine (N52) is very dependable. You don't need to worry about turbos or injectors. The prices are very reasonable as well. I used to have the 2006 e90 330i and sold it to my father in law. The car sits at 130k miles with just regular service and maintenance. Still runs like a champ.

Don't sell your ZHP. Is there any chance you can keep it as a weekend car ? GL on your decision.
    Thanks! I had considered the E90s but was never a fan of the looks. Any specific reason to not go for the Turbos? A lot of the Fxx and newer cars seem to come with them?

L.A. traffic here so I feel ya, that's why I have an auto (but I don't commute anymore). Seems you will regret selling, as so many do. Keep it if you can afford a cheap daily driver.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    L.A. traffic here so I feel ya, that's why I have an auto (but I don't commute anymore). Seems you will regret selling, as so many do. Keep it if you can afford a cheap daily driver.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm middle of the line right now but I know I'll miss the power and fun drive!

- You'll probably regret selling the zhp. I'd keep it as a weekend car.
    - No it's not common to develop back issues after driving for that amount of time each way. I used to do it in my car no problem. Unless you have some underlying injuries. Does your car not have lumbar?
    - No idea about this. I still like the manual even in socal traffic. I pretty much stick to second gear the whole time when it's really bad so not much shifting. I have a DD (Model 3) now. It's boring to drive, but has all the bells and whistles for being a great DD.
    - Best DD? Model 3 with autopilot lol The 2 series is ok. The seats hug you a lot more. And the car is a lot smaller than the e46 on the inside. The steering wheel feels good, but the steering itself is a little numb. A lot of the torque comes around 1500ish. So to me, in stop & go traffic, there's this sort of jerk when you hit that rpm every time you start which I don't like. It is a fast car though. Also looks good. At least the M240i does to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    - You'll probably regret selling the zhp. I'd keep it as a weekend car.
    - No it's not common to develop back issues after driving for that amount of time each way. I used to do it in my car no problem. Unless you have some underlying injuries. Does your car not have lumbar?
    - No idea about this. I still like the manual even in socal traffic. I pretty much stick to second gear the whole time when it's really bad so not much shifting. I have a DD (Model 3) now. It's boring to drive, but has all the bells and whistles for being a great DD.
    - Best DD? Model 3 with autopilot lol The 2 series is ok. The seats hug you a lot more. And the car is a lot smaller than the e46 on the inside. The steering wheel feels good, but the steering itself is a little numb. A lot of the torque comes around 1500ish. So to me, in stop & go traffic, there's this sort of jerk when you hit that rpm every time you start which I don't like. It is a fast car though. Also looks good. At least the M240i does to me.
    No underlying injuries, but life changes (got married, smaller bed, smaller couch, etc.). We're moving to a bigger place and hopefully the lower back issues get sorted out with all the other stuff.

My ZHP doesn't have lumbar support, I guess it's a good idea to try out a lumbar cushion?

Man I've always thought the Model 3 was my next car but it's just too out of my price range right now . I'm not opposed to a smaller car, so the 2 series sound alright. I'm yet to test drive one and it feels cramped, I'll be looking for the 3- or 4-series. Thanks for the heads up on the power delivery and RPM. That would feel terrible in stop-and-go, I'll look out for this during my test drive.

Yes.....You will regret it. Keep it as weekender. Get a cheapo daily driver.

I'm retired. So I really do not get the ZHP as a daily. But I use the ZHP for my travels to and from Vegas. Love the drive. I already have a time and day schedule on when to depart San Diego and vice versa Vegas. On a good day....3.5 Hrs. 4 hrs. max.

Like I said before.....mileage is a killer. 302 miles one way. But what a fun car for the drive.
    Lawrence
    "But Mama....That's where the fun is!"
    BMW CCA #192742
    San Diego & Sin City Chapter
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen (The Crown Jewel)
    '20 X5 M Sport Tourquis Blue - #3 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Sapphire Black - #1 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Mineral White - Daughter & Grand Kids Ride
    '24 X4 M40i Brooklyn Grey - SO's New Ride
    '05 330i ZHP Mystic Blue Metallic 6 spd - My Ride
    '03 Nissan Frontier XE Crew Cab - Hauler & Down Range vehicle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast