Hey everyone! Occasional lurker here, and a 7-year ZHP owner ('04 6MT Silbergrau/Alcantara). It took me over a year to research, locate and buy this car (sold by an amazing owner from here). Expensive to fix, but downright the most powerful and best driving experience I've ever owned.

I've now had a ~20 mile commute in Washington, DC traffic everyday, and I'm am thinking of swapping my ZHP out for a more comfortable automatic that's just as powerful. As much as I love the stick shift, its starting to get harder to drive in stop-and-go traffic. DC roads aren't that great to start with, so I feel every bump in the road. I'm craving a more comfortable driving experience, specially since I sit in traffic for so long, which is now causing back issues for me ☹️. Fuel economy is not a big consideration, but I'd like a fairly decent gas mileage (~25-28 combined)

I have several questions for the group -
  • Is it a bad idea to swap my baby for another? Will I regret selling my ZHP? Will I never find the same power and driving again?
  • Is it common to develop back issues after driving for an hour each way? Am I doing something wrong?
  • Does the stick shift start to feel like a chore or do I need to get it looked at?
  • What is the best next car / DD in your minds? I’m considering at 2015-2017 Volkswagen Golf GTIs or BMW 2 series. Any experience with either?

Thanks much and I'm looking forward to your replies!
--Sree

Mods: Crossposted to the Off Topic Car Discussion forum a well. Let me know if I should delete a duplicate?