Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Now, it's time to remove the steptronic! Got to really use my new ESCO jackstands too. Highly recommend them over the harbor freight ones. I also had aluminum jackpads that fit nicely on the rubber pad of the stand.

And I failed immediately...ugh. problems to take care of later. Open header is hilariously entertaining, FYI.

Everything else came out without a fight. It's amazing how thin the 325i driveshaft is compared to the 330i. It also doesn't have any butyl on the CSB. That was an interesting surprise!

The guibo is nasty, it's getting replaced.

Transmission mounts have sagged, they are getting replaced too.

Transmission came out with no stripped torx bolts! Yay! This was the end of my day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Oooooof those exhaust header studs, man those things suck.

The first drive must feel pretty good!
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    Oooooof those exhaust header studs, man those things suck.

The first drive must feel pretty good!
    The first drive was really good! I have to take care of a front end knocking and a few leaks, then she will be good mechanically.

-Corey

Alright, it's time to take care of some transmission out only things...like the rear main seal.

The metal gasket was so stuck to the block, that I almost didn't recognize it. I peeled it off and replaced it with a fresh one. Cleaned up the back of the engine too, because why not.

The original seal was pressed pretty damn far in. I have two spare engines that I could double check the seal depth on and both were flush with the outer surface. Someone botched this job before.

Fresh seal installed, with no lube because it is a PTFE style seal and not rubber.

Added a thin coat of RTV on to the bottom of the plate, torqued it down, removed the plastic guide and done. More years of leak free service ahead.

-Corey

I want to change the thread title to Japanrot, gotta get a Mod in here.

Anyway, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch bolted on. Fairly straightforward. I had a breaker bar on the other end of the crank to stop it from rotating on me.

Went to the interior, took care of the shifter, pedals and other hydraulics. Yes, I used a manual pedal. No need for a button. I AM the button. This is the last shot you'll have of the auto shifter, enjoy it. *Ripped it out, with a smile :D* I used duct tape to cover the hole where the automatic shift cable went.

Special note for the hard line. It's MUCH easier to work it from inside the car to the outside. In hindsight... probably should've handled the wiring while the pedals were out.

Pedals in!

Pedals out!

-Corey

Replaced the leaky shift selector seal and that shift bushing thing was replaced with a new part. It has a rubber piece inside that wears out and gets sloppy. The old one used nylon washers on the sides, but the new one has metal spacers already machined into it. I couldn't even fit the new nylon washers on! I left it as is, put the clip on and sent it. It feels goooooood. No play, at all.

Replaced the pivot with a steel one. Not sure why BMW used a plastic one here? It did last over 200k miles.

Refreshed the other shifter linkage parts, but lost the pictures...my bad.

-Corey

Now we take a break from the transmission work, and we go to the rear of the car where I have this beauty to be installed.

While I'm in there, (pretty sure that sums up E46 ownership in one sentence) I replaced the brakes with 330i parts. Which means I have to replace the trailing arms, which means I have to replace the axles, which means I should do the rear bearings while they're out. I fell down the hole.

I'm going to spare the details. Just know this was a pain in my rectum. A lot of little E46 things you become familiar with...like different length wheel speed sensor and the sheer difficulty of finding axles that have the weird ZHP manual (and xi) style flange bolt pattern. The best part about this whole situation was the axle installation tool. It made everything buttery smooth.

Annnnnddddd apparently tapatalk has a monthly image upload limit, and I have just reached it. Great. I'm a pro member now.

Obscenely long extensions are worth it for torquing the axles down.

New used axles, new rear bearings, new bushings all back there, 3.64 diff installed.

-Corey

Fantastic work, Corey!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Fantastic work, Corey!
    +1

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Thanks guys!

Now for the final parts. Lifted the transmission up and with some slight maneuvering, it slid nicely into place. At this point, assembly is the opposite of removal. Bled the clutch and brakes. Pumped the pedals a few times. Everything felt good.

I did the wiring at this point but didn't take any pics. Pretty easy to imagine 4 wires being twisted, soldered, and heat shrunk.

Cut out the clutch pedal slot in the lower panel.

And tightened everything up!

You are now looking at a 6 speed manual transmission touring!

-Corey

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast