Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, I'm new and I'm interested in learning more DIY stuff about my ZHP vert

Hi everyone,

I've had my 2006 convertible 330CI with ZHP package since 2018. This is the second ZHP that I have owned. I previously had a jet black sedan. I will say that I really enjoyed the sedan, but I needed a drop top. Unfortunately, all of the BMWs that I have owned in my lifetime have been automatic, except for one 535 back in the day. The old 5 series, 5-speed had 300+K miles. I was a broke college student, bought it for $1,000, and sold it for $800, after driving it for about a year.

Fast forward to now. I really enjoy my convertible E46. I will never track my vehicles, so the heavier car, is no big deal for me. Lots of fun. Preaching to the choir.

The only thing that I want to improve on is a 6 speed manual transmission swap. I live in San Francisco, CA, so if you have a 6-speed for sale, I would love to hear from you. Also, if you know of a shop in the area that performs the swap, that would be great. I have found a mechanic in the area that has been recommended by various owners, however, he only has had 5-speeds. I'm holding on for a 6-speed.

I look forward to the knowledge that I will gain from all. I hope that I can contribute in the future.

Welcome! Verts rule.....
    Pete

I DIG my vert!
    About 5 vs. 6 speed, I don't know that I am all that much more in love with the extra gear. Perhaps, after ~30 years with 5 gears, when I finally got a 6 speed, I was lost a little. Got used to it now but gheesh, you are changing speed more in the city with a 6 speed. The speeds are also shorter so there is that as well. I am not sure a 5 speed is that wrong of a swap. But I will let the others chime in.
    Anyway, welcome to the best BMW forum out there.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Welcome, sir ! My bucket list includes a vert. Maybe some day ... Have you considered a Sprint Booster for your AT ? They really make a difference.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Welcome! And I second that, verts rule. Look into 3 DIYs 1) sprint booster or pedal box, 2) paddle shifters, 3) Dinan STEP s/w. All 3 will improve the STEP driving experience. (I have all 3). Also, get a wind screen (comfort), and a 'shorty' antenna (looks). Enjoy! And, GL with the swap.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I love the 6MT, but to be honest, if I'm accelerating through the gears to get to highway speed, I often go 4th to 6th....... You're pretty much already at highway speed in 4th anyway
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
    I love the 6MT, but to be honest, if I'm accelerating through the gears to get to highway speed, I often go 4th to 6th....... You're pretty much already at highway speed in 4th anyway
    Haha, I do the same. I rarely use 5th, unless it's some back road where the speeds are high, but not quite highway speeds
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

I have ZHP vert with 6 speed. Key is the 3.46 differential. It is fun and it loves going 90+ on the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
    I have ZHP vert with 6 speed. Key is the 3.46 differential. It is fun and it loves going 90+ on the highway.
    It's the key on any E46, my 3.38 completely transformed my car and is hands down the best mod I've done.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
    In your case, I assume you hardly need to use 1st gear, or you're in 1st for only a few seconds?
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast