Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Correct, my car is a Canadian-market car, so MS45.1 I believe. IKE is a common part between MS43 and MS45 with the same pinout. I checked the X60003 connector pinout for MS43, and pin 39 is unused, so I'm not quite sure why Car-Solution would say to connect up to that
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Alright, so I further diagnosed the issue and have made progress. I probed pins 1 and 6 on the X11175 connector, which is for 12V power to the IKE. Then the brown and red wires from the module which are hooked in parallel, so there should be 12V as well, but there was 0. Turns out I did not fully compress the wire taps all the way, so I re-compressed all of them and the module now works.

However, oil temperature is still a mystery - the instructions mention that if you see 3 bars, you should press + hold BC until "OILTEMP SET" shows up, then scroll through 1 of 3 settings. But if I do that, "BC CONFIG" shows up, then the options are "TÖNS" (4 settings), "MENU ENDE" (to go back), and "SENSOR TEST". None of the 4 "TÖNS" seem to do anything, nor does sensor test. So at least there's some progress, but the primary reason I bought the module (oil temp) still does not work.

Okay, I've fixed it. The seller still said to splice into pin 39 on the DME, and in my car it's unused. I re-checked the wiring diagrams and the wire colour for the oil level sensor signal is grey/blue, which is what my car has. So I was confident at that point that my pinout was correct.

Unfortunately, instead of checking, then making any mods, I cut the wire tap (as it appears one-time use), then re-checked the wiring diagram.

So as I didn't have any wire taps left, and I was hella frustrated and just wanted to get this done (and didn't want to break out the soldering iron) I just butt-crimped it in like so:

Definitely not my finest work, but it passes the pull test, and I re-wrapped it in fabric insulating tape like the pic in my previous post so there shouldn't be any issues. This might sound a bit stupid, but previously I had not started the car - I assumed the oil level sensor would display oil temp, as the other 3 parameters (water temp, batt voltage, vehicle speed) were all displaying with no issues with just the electronics on. So I'm not sure if it was because I hadn't started the car (and did now), or if the wire tap just didn't have good contact (man, those things suck). But everything seems to be working fine now.

I took this pic before putting the gauge cluster back for the umpteenth time. That module ain't going nowhere:

All working:

Although this mod didn't go as planned (required hours of diagnosing) I'm still glad to have it in my car, as it'll come in handy with the track days I had planned for the summer (lolz). Indicated oil temp seems very reasonable - lags by coolant temp about 30-40 deg until both are at operating, where during normal driving it stays around 98-100 deg. Haven't had the chance to push the car yet, but I'm curious as to what peak oil temps would be without an oil cooler.

That's awesome! Definitely getting one of these when I'm in Germany again. Not looking forward to the wiring stuff though. Thanks for walking us through your experience.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Are you headed back to Germany pretty soon? Due to the virus it did take about a month to arrive to Canada. Postage was 9 Euros, but then I was refunded 16 Euros as I did not have to pay German sales tax, so it's possible that it may be more expensive over there.

I really hope you won't have to run the wire through the firewall like I did. It wasn't too bad, but the entire upper half of my body was stuck in the driver's side footwell routing and taping the wire down.

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    Are you headed back to Germany pretty soon? Due to the virus it did take about a month to arrive to Canada. Postage was 9 Euros, but then I was refunded 16 Euros as I did not have to pay German sales tax, so it's possible that it may be more expensive over there.

I really hope you won't have to run the wire through the firewall like I did. It wasn't too bad, but the entire upper half of my body was stuck in the driver's side footwell routing and taping the wire down.
    Things are looking uncertain again. Maybe in July. Maybe not. The unit seems like a pretty good deal either way. I like wrenching but I haven't done electronics or wire stuff apart from plug and play replacements. I might just have one of friends do it who is more experienced.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123