Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cheap and easy oil temp display on stock cluster

Just found this on the German forums. I'm at work and haven't looked at shipping and stuff but I had to share immediately because I've been dreaming of this for a long time. This is a module that you add to the back of your gauge cluster that will unlock displaying oil temp:

https://www.car-solution.de/produkt/...r-bmw-3er-e46/
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Interesting.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Nice find! I'm wondering if this would allow the data to be read from the OBDII port via torque....

You have to pay for a dongle thing or for coding this?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Nice find! I'm wondering if this would allow the data to be read from the OBDII port via torque....
    That would be good.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

According to the description (which isn't very detailed), you plug 5 cables into the back of the gauge cluster and that's it. It will add oil temp, water temp, digital speed and battery voltage to the list of items you can cycle through on your gauge cluster. By default, we get ambient temp, time, average speed and mileage I think. This will add those 4 extra items to the list.

Here is a pic of the item: https://www.ebay.de/itm/eKombi-Modul...-/132349874303

Not sure about the OBDII stuff, though I heard it works with Android radios as well via some OBDII connection or something. I wouldn't be the person to ask about that though. I'll see if I can get my hands on one of these.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Appear similar to ultraguage II but without the OBD port needing to be occupied all the time.

The advantage of the ultraguage is that you can set alarms of temp and stuff. Comes in handy I think. But it is an extra display. This is more hidden.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

I'm skeptical on how accurately they can measure oil temperature without an actual thermocouple sensor.

They claim:

There is no additional sensors or sensor needed because the oil temperature is determined using the thermal oil level sensor, which is standard equipment on every vehicle!
    2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Interlagous Blue | Maritime dash and console trim | 6MT
    UUC short shifter, Euro cats, CSL Euro headers, Evolve CSL Intake and tune, TC Klein Smart Design Double Adjustable Coilovers, Dinan strut brace, CDV Delete, ZHP shift knob, Arkym splitter and spoiler, WPC Bearings, ARP rod bolts, Apex Arc-8, VAC Pump Upgrade, Bluebus

Are you talking about Ultraguage or what OP posted about?
    If Ultraguage, it reads coolant temp and that is what I want more so than oil temp.
    On a side note, I had to get used to an oil temp sensor on my display in my new-to-me e93. Takes a long time for that oil to get up in temp.

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Are you talking about Ultraguage or what OP posted about?
    If Ultraguage, it reads coolant temp and that is what I want more so than oil temp.
    On a side note, I had to get used to an oil temp sensor on my display in my new-to-me e93. Takes a long time for that oil to get up in temp.
    You can get the coolant temp to display on the cluster without buying anything bro!

Oil temp is measured (accurately) from the level sensor in the bottom of the pan. It has to be pulled through the canbus or similar as it isn't even sent to the obd port unless requested via inpa/pasoft/etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast