Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Cost to Paint MTech II Front Bumper

The time has come to replace my front bumper cover and I'm curious what to expect for the cost to paint it. I plan to install it myself, so I'm just looking for the cost to paint/clear a brand new OEM pre-primed cover - off the car

I went to my local BMW dealer yesterday who I've used several times for insurance related claims over the years (where the other party was paying). Their work was always top notch and even my Indy thought they would be the best option to get the color match correct.

So the dealer mailed me an estimate this morning, $508. Is that a reasonable price for just painting/clearing a brand new primed bumper? Or should I shop around?
    Pete

I paid $298 to paint my pre-primed replica M-Tech II bumper at a local body shop. I'd say you can definitely shop around.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

My local body shop charges $300 to paint a bumper. That must be one of the best prices around. It's a one man operation, he doesn't have receptionist or advertise. Is your car jet black or black sapphire metallic ? I heard metallic colors are a little more difficult to match.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

black sapphire metallic (475). Thanks for the data points. $508 seemed a bit high to me
    Pete

That sounds about right. Maybe a hundred over since the bumper is pre-primed and doesn't really require too much prep.

I'm having my factory bumper completely stripped and refinished as well as a fender repainted and blended into the door for about double that. There's significantly more time tied up into my front bumper however since it was pitted and spider webbed in several places. The quote that shop gave me is consistent with the dealership quotes that I received as well. This place specializes in factory restoration work.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    - 2005 Titanium Silver 330i ZHP 6spd -

What brand of paint to use for a BMW? How many coats? Or does the paint depend on the quality of painting?

Same here. Bumper would probably need a paint job soon due to road rash.....
    Lawrence
    "But Mama....That's where the fun is!"
    BMW CCA #192742
    San Diego & Sin City Chapter
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen (The Crown Jewel)
    '20 X5 M Sport Tourquis Blue - #3 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Sapphire Black - #1 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Mineral White - Daughter & Grand Kids Ride
    '24 X4 M40i Brooklyn Grey - SO's New Ride
    '05 330i ZHP Mystic Blue Metallic 6 spd - My Ride
    '03 Nissan Frontier XE Crew Cab - Hauler & Down Range vehicle

That's about how much it costs around there. $500-650. It depends on if it's a new bumper, or one that has to be repainted. My shop charges like $600 I think. But I know he uses PPG for both paint and clear. Most of the other shops around this area uses lower quality paint/clear like Omni or Trinity. Omni is like $80-100/gal and PPG which is like $80-100/qt for reference.

Thanks for validating the pricing. It's a brand new OEM primed bumper. I think tomorrow or Tuesday I'll go the dealer route for $500. I'm not looking to save $100 somewhere else and then not be happy with the paint used/thickness/color match or unplanned quality issues. Just need to find out if they want me to bring my car over for the color match or just the old bumper

And I still have to ask the dealer how they will handle this with Carfax. IIRC, there was a ZHP on BringaTrailer that the owner chose to do a cosmetic fix on his bumper and it got reported on his Carfax as an accident by the body shop.
    Pete

Pete, I paid just over $600 for both front and rear M Tech II bumpers and side skirts when I did my conversion. But my color was AW and not a sapphire. Not the dealer but dealer recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    Pete, I paid just over $600 for both front and rear M Tech II bumpers and side skirts when I did my conversion. But my color was AW and not a sapphire. Not the dealer but dealer recommended.
    Thanks for that additional data point. Normally the dealer is not my first choice, but they got it right on 2 separate body repairs paid by the guys who hit me, so that's really the only place I'm confident of the results, and when my Indy also said go to the dealer, I felt validated with my choice. And everyone here confirmed that their quote was reasonable

and.... the older I get, the faster I was.... too funny! I have memories of and have to hold back retelling stories of "he could throw that fastball by you, make you look like a fool" thanks to Bruce Springsteen
    Pete

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast