Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oil Thread

The Oil Thread

MasterC17's Recommended Oil's for an E46 Non-M:

*All Oil's Here are Group IV or Group V Oil's.

Oil Change DIY

Non-Xi E46's Take: 6.5 Quarts
    Xi E46's Take: 7.5 Quarts

Mobil 1 0W-40 ($7.99): A decent oil, good for a daily driver.
    BMW 5W-30 ($6.25): Best bang for your buck. P/N: 07 51 0 017 866.
    German (Euro) Castrol 0W-30 ($7.99): A decent oil, good for a daily driver.
    Amsoil 5W-40 European ($9.20): A better oil, but will cost you more.
    Amsoil 10W-40 Premium ($9.00): Contains high doses of Zinc & Phos - Good for FI Applications.
    Red Line 5W-30 ($10.49): A good racing oil, do a 50/50 or 66/33 mix with the 5W-40.
    Red Line 5W-40 ($10.95): A good racing oil, do a 50/50 or 66/33 mix with the 5W-30.
    Total Quartz 9000 0W-40 (Not Sold in US?): A good oil if you can find it, not sure if you can though. Popular in Europe.
    Liqui-Moly Synthoil Energy 0W-40 ($12.49): A good brand of oil that will work in our cars (but expensive).

And undisputedly the best filter for our cars is factory (Mann) P/N: 11427512300.

If you decide you want to run an oil not on this list either ask or buy one that meets the following. Our cars like to run oil that has a Viscocity @ 100°C of 11-14 (cSt). I probably wouldn't buy an oil that goes out of this range. Your Winter (W) weight should be 0, 5, or 10. Your upper number should be 30 or 40. If you jump out of these ranges you risk hurting the engine.

This post will be updated and revised as time progresses.
    Last edited by MasterC17; 06-11-2011 at 02:46 AM.

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

Unless you intend to try all of those oils in _your_ engine then send them out to be analyzed, you will never have an actual answer to that question besides basic subjective conjecture.

So the real question is: which of those do you feel most comfortable with putting in your car and spending your $ on? Me? I like the BMW oil every 7,500 miles, despite the fact that there is plenty of evidence out there that intermediate changes aren't necessary.
    - Marc

Quote Originally Posted by zhpnsnv View Post

So the real question is: which of those do you feel most comfortable with putting in your car and spending your $ on? Me? I like the BMW oil every 7,500 miles, despite the fact that there is plenty of evidence out there that intermediate changes aren't necessary.
    +1
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Well I guess I feel 'comfortable' with any of the four I mentioned (BMW Castrol, Mobil 1, Redline, & Total). I'm changing the oil every 4,000 miles, even though, as stated it probably isn't necessary. However, I know I'm not 100% happy with the Mobil 1, so I guess I'm trying to figure out which one I should try next. Given, without sending the oil out I'm not ever really going to learn anything solid but I guess whichever one I feel performs the best will be the one I stick with.

My Project Thread

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

M1 0W-40

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Heads up:
    Costco has a 6 pack case of Mobil 1 5-30 for $35.49 with a $9 off coupon = $26.49 or $4.42/Qt.

Johnny
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

5W-30 does not meet the spec johnny...

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    5W-30 does not meet the spec johnny...

Good catch! I've been using 5W-30 the last 2 times...Ugh.

Correct oil is Mobil 1 0-40 or BMW 5-30

Sorry about that everybody!

Johnny
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

Where would I send the oil out to be analyzed and how much would it cost roughly? I think I'm going to go with the Total 5W-40 and see how that does. After that I'll probably try Redline.
    Last edited by MasterC17; 01-31-2011 at 08:34 AM.

My Project Thread

Autozone.com
    I think most people use Blackstone for the oil analysis.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...ght=blackstone

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast