Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Ball Joint Creak?

Hey gang!

Hearing a creak on the front end when turning the wheel... What do you think - ball joint?

https://youtu.be/zyzYj6J3l-0

I replaced the control arms two years and ~10k miles ago with Lemforder units. I’d be surprised if the BJ’s are gone already. Are E46 BJ’s greaseable?
    -Chris

Have the tie rods been replaced?
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Nope.
    -Chris

Holy crap that's loud. You should definitely be able to feel it on the offending part. Can you have someone turn the wheel while you touch a screwdriver to the strut mount? Then try other areas if that's not it?

I'd be hesitant to put a stethoscope on it and blow out your damn ear drums

Yeah, planning to do that but just haven’t had the time to get it on the lift. Maybe this weekend. And yes- it’s F-ing loud, which is why I thought it could be a ball joint; it seems to resonate through the frame.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
    Yeah, planning to do that but just haven’t had the time to get it on the lift. Maybe this weekend. And yes- it’s F-ing loud, which is why I thought it could be a ball joint; it seems to resonate through the frame.
    Don't need to put it on the lift to check the bearing in the strut mount. Just do exactly what you did in the video but stick a screwdriver on the mount and see if you feel the popping.

I finally got around to checking this. (I’ve driven the car only once or twice in the last month... out of sight, out of mind.)

Definitely wasn’t the upper strut mount, and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a ball joint. The sound was barely there this time, but it sounded like it could’ve been coming from the steering rack. Anyone ever heard of a rack creaking like this?

Power steering fluid was full, and it could probably use a flush, but it definitely wasn’t dry.
    -Chris

My first thought was the strut mount, I'm surprised that is not it.

Does it do it with the wheels off the ground?
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Didn’t try it with the wheels off the ground. I have a 4-post lift so I put it up and had my kid turn the wheel while I was listening underneath and on top. Put a ‘chassis ear’ - aka ‘screwdriver’ - to both strut towers and couldn’t hear anything.
    -Chris

Maybe internal failure with the steering rack?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast