Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ball Joint Creak?

Had a chance to pull the inner tie rod boots tonight; plenty of grease where the inner tie rods connect to the rack. No dryness that would suggest a metal-on metal condition. The steering operates fine; nothing indicating the rack or pump is bad. Again - PS reservoir was full and no indications of a leak from either the rack nor the hoses.

Shot another video, this time without any help so I had to rig up a rope so I could be under the car and turn the wheel at the same time. Wanted to be able to turn the wheel with the car off, so I put two VCT tiles with a bit of grease between them under the tires so they would turn easily. (Trick I learned from racing and setting my own camber and alignments.) The video was just to show a friend how I did it, but without the engine noise of the first video itís a bit clearer.

https://youtu.be/9CGhaHf_B9Q
    -Chris

Bringing this to closure; It turns out the creak was coming from the spherical rod ends on the anti-roll bar end links. They’re worn and need replacement. I think I’m going back to the OEM-style end links because the rod ends don’t hold up to the abuse of public roads.

Hard to believe such a loud noise was coming from the end links. Hope this info helps someone in the future...
    -Chris

Good to hear that you've solved it. It also confirms my thoughts that exposed spherical bearings should not be run on a street car, all the road grim and grit just wears them out quickly. I too plan on running OE-style adjustable endlinks, when it comes time.
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
    Bringing this to closure; It turns out the creak was coming from the spherical rod ends on the anti-roll bar end links. They’re worn and need replacement. I think I’m going back to the OEM-style end links because the rod ends don’t hold up to the abuse of public roads.

Hard to believe such a loud noise was coming from the end links. Hope this info helps someone in the future...
    Glad you diagnosed it, and thanks for updating the thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12