Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    This weekend, I decided to tackle my brakes. With tracks starting to open up, I decided that now was a good time. Unfortunately, things definitely did not go to plan, but everything worked out in the end after much fettling about. I installed:

• Zimmermann Rotors
    • Hawk HPS Pads
    • Stoptech SS Braided Brake Lines
    • ATE Type 200 Fluid
    • Febi Handbrake cables
    • OEM Handbrake rebuild kit

Alright, first order of business was to start with the handbrake rebuild. I’m replacing the cables because one of them got twisted when I went to remove it for my subframe drop back in 2017, and I suspect the shop that did the RACP underside reinforcement may have stripped or cross-threaded the threads on the cable end. Ever since then, I’ve left the cables disconnected, then just parked in gear. As a matter of fact, my handbrake never actually worked properly ever since I got the car. No big deal, just inconvenient, as if I want to keep the engine running to warm it up in the pits for autox, I have to sit in the car to keep it from rolling away.

First order of business was to get the car in the air, and the rear rotors off, pretty simple:

Geez no wonder the handbrake never worked, there was no friction material at all:

Here is where things started going downhill. Spent 1.5 hours getting the driver’s side cable out – getting the ends out from the body tube and upright were not too bad, but the plastic sleeve on the cable was really seized into the subframe:

Pulled as hard as I could, tried levering it out with vicegrips and channellocks, and bit by bit the cable sheathing slipped through. But eventually it got stuck, so I cut it in half, and after more wrestling was left with just the plastic sleeve in the subframe. After more pulling it eventually came out:

The passenger’s side was even worse, that took 2.5 hours to get out. The cable broke in multiple places as I kept pulling, and was more seized than the other side:

The part of the plastic sleeve that sticks out of the subframe got so mangled, so I had to flush-cut it with the subframe. Then I hammered in a pick between the subframe hole and the plastic sleeve in multiple places to collapse it and eventually got it out:

The issues didn’t stop there. Getting the cables in required some sanding of the metal bushing that goes into the body tube by the lever. Driver’s side just needed a bit of sanding, passenger’s side was sanded so much that I couldn’t go more, and it still wouldn’t go in. Tried a bunch of things but in short, I cut the new bushing off, drilled out the old bushing such that the lever-end of the cable could go through, then stuck that on the cable after it was passed through the subframe:

Don’t worry, after the above pic was taken, I used some self-vulcanizing rubber tape to keep the cable on the old bushing, and seal the exposed metal sheathing.

Then, with the new cables in, the rest of the handbrake rebuild was a walk in the park. I adjusted the shoes as best as I could with the stud kit, taking the rotor on and off until it would barely fit on:

While my exhaust was dropped, I took the opportunity for a quick polish of the tips all-around. Not much improvement since I had already taken care of it before, but better nonetheless.

Replacing the rear pads and rotors were real easy since I had already removed them to inspect the handbrake when I first got the car. However, the fronts were a different story. The shop that did the safety inspection on my car replaced the front pads and rotors, and the caliper carriers were just “ugga dugga’d” on with the gun. The 2-wrench trick didn’t work as I was bending the wrench, there was no space for my breaker bar, and I had no power tools. So I had to get creative:

2 things: Yes, that is a torque wrench being used as a breaker bar, and yes, those are hockey pucks for spacers, because Canada. As they say: “if it looks stupid but it works, it ain’t stupid.”

Then I got the new brake lines on. Fitment was good, the only complaint I had was that the rear line retaining clips seem pretty loose – I think the grooves in the metal insert might be too wide. Bent the retaining clips a bit to take up the slack, and it’s better, but not as tight as it was before.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find my adapter for my Motive bleeder, so I had to resort to the 2-person method with my dad. Then the car went on the ground, where I realized the handbrake was not as well-adjusted on the shoe-side as well as I’d thought. I wasn’t about the take apart the rear brakes again, so I just ran both nuts down until the handbrake operates following the BMW spec of 2/3 ratchets of the handle correspond to rear wheels moving with resistance/not moving at all. The handle is pretty hard to pull though – I hope I don’t stretch the cables in the long run. C’est la vie:

Then went for a quick drive, and bedded in the pads. I’m not sure if I bled the brakes properly, or if it was because I was expecting a firmer pedal with new fluid and SS lines, but the pedal was not as firm as I thought it would be. Dare I say it’s slightly less firm than it was before. However I bled all 4 calipers twice with no bubbles, and I can do hard braking with good stopping power – it’s just that I feel that the pedal travels more than it should be.

As I suspect, the shaky steering wheel under braking is now gone. However, I suspect my FCABs may need attention soon. When I kick the wheel or try to shake the FCA near the FCABs, its solid, but under light braking at low speed there are rare times when the wheel will jerk to one side. Odd, because it has never happened during all of the autox’ing I’ve done.
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Welcome over to the better side tim...haha

-Daniel
    OEM BMW Performance (Missing cams and seats)
    LEVEL ONE // Euro Techniks
    Auto -> 6 Speed complete

Quote Originally Posted by kakashi169 View Post
    Welcome over to the better side tim...haha
    Thanks for the suggestion Daniel, glad to be here. Us members in the GTA/surrounding area should have a meetup once the pandemic is over!

Just wanted to say I've been reading every post as you've been posting, and loving the build/progress! Keep it up, this ZHP is definitely in the right hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplian View Post
    Just wanted to say I've been reading every post as you've been posting, and loving the build/progress! Keep it up, this ZHP is definitely in the right hands.
    Much appreciated! I do intend on keeping this car for a while, so I do want to keep it in good running condition, while also beating the crap out of it on the track and having it stand up to that. And postpone/repair the inevitable rust for a Canadian car lol.

I might as well copy my other post from the braided brake line thread. No pics though:

Just re-bled the brakes today. Bit the bullet and bought a replacement Motive bleeder adapter, put silicone paste on the threads of all bleeder screws to prevent air getting past the threads, used INPA to cycle the ABS/DSC unit, and used a mallet on the calipers in an attempt to jiggle out any trapped bubbles. I believe the brakes are ever so slightly better, though there is definitely still more initial pedal travel than before the new pads and rotors. At this point I'm fairly confident there are no bubbles - even with the re-bleed, I didn't see any.

Initial pedal travel to stopping power isn't like how it was before, but pedal firmness is excellent when you step on it, with good stopping power. Perhaps the stiffness of the HPS pad material is lower than standard street pads? Either way, I think I'll be leaving it as-is

Just stumbled on your thread. Great story and your car looks great. We've got similar histories - I bought mine with 330,000 km in 2012 from the US and imported it. It's now nearing 450k. I'm in Montreal and I've driven it to Vancouver and back for a job there, it's such a great car. Hasn't given me much trouble over the years, although I also had the subframe mounts welded and refreshed when I noticed a crack.

I drive it year-round, the rust issues are starting to get pretty bad, and my 2003 only had 6 year perforation warranty so it'll probably be a part-out in the next 2 years or so unfortunately. I assume BMW beefed up the rustproofing in 2004 when they doubled the warranty. I've got 2 collapsed jack pads and the usual areas in the back are bubbling pretty bad. I'm enjoying it as much as I can while it lasts!
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

I actually lurked this forum since I got my car in 2015, and I've come across your thread a few times. Thanks for stopping by!

Quote Originally Posted by alexandre View Post
    I assume BMW beefed up the rustproofing in 2004 when they doubled the warranty. I've got 2 collapsed jack pads and the usual areas in the back are bubbling pretty bad. I'm enjoying it as much as I can while it lasts!
    Yeah, not sure why the perforation warranty was increased in 2004. But seeing how much rust was on my car when I got it even after the repairs were done a year earlier, I'm doubtful about that. As much as I did overpay for the car there are many reasons I don't regret still buying it, and the amount of rust repair work done to it was one of the big ones. By my best guess, it's had $20k of rust repair work done to it, the rear quarters and rocker panels on the front (that small sliver of sheet metal between the front fender and front of the side skirt) were resprayed a couple times, then of course that big rocker panel replacement to wrap everything up.

Sad to hear about the rust on your car, but seeing how it'll have lasted 10 years since you got it, that's not a bad run. The downside with me storing it for the winter is that it's a long winter, and I miss driving mine very much. And I don't get to go snow drifting with it! I only wintered mine once in 2016, and the rocket panels were done in Jan/Feb of that year. I can't bring myself to re-winter it due to rust of course, but also the fact that if some guy in a Corolla on no-season tires rear-ends me, insurance will want to cut me a cheque for $4k and consider my car totalled due to the fact that it's some "shitty old BMW with high mileage".

To further preserve my pristine rocker panels I'm going to be removing the side skirts, then spraying fluid-film inside all of the access holes. Then a wax on the outside of the panels themselves. I think doing this every other year should suffice.

Well, I went ahead and re-bled my brakes. Bit the bullet and bought a (way overpriced) replacement Motive bleeder adapter locally, put silicone paste on the threads of all bleeder screws to prevent air getting past the threads, used INPA to cycle the ABS/DSC unit, and used a mallet on the calipers in an attempt to jiggle out any trapped bubbles. I believe the brakes are ever so slightly better, though there is definitely still more initial pedal travel than before the new pads and rotors. At this point I'm fairly confident there are no bubbles - even with the re-bleed, I didn't see any. It seems like the initial pedal feel is just down to the HPS compound. While not a dedicated track pad, it still has a higher temperature range than regular street pads, so its friction does taper off a bit at close to ambient temps.

I then got a chance to clean my interior, which wasn’t too bad, but just very dusty and the floor mats were quite dirty. Man this interior has aged so well (excuse the dirty floor mats, hadn’t gotten to them yet):

Gave the carpets and floor mats a good vacuum:

I’d also been carrying around some dirty stuff such as my floor jack, and my winter rims. So my trunk was also in dire need of a good cleaning:

I had my first ever track day coming up, and didn’t want to pay for an overpriced headrest mount, so a trip to Home Depot and $20 later I had my own:

I then adjusted my front camber for the track by pushing the strut mounts as far inboard as they would go. According to my alignment sheet, I started off with -0.2 and -0.7 deg on the left and right sides respectively. Then used my phone + piece of wood as a straight edge to record the deltas, which were – 2.0 deg and -1.8 deg respectively. So that would be a total of -2.2 deg and -2.5 deg total, though I don’t think stock adjustment can accommodate that much. I marked the original location with a sharpie, so I can easily revert back:

Then, headed to Toronto Motorsports Park for my first ever track day:

Aaaaaand why was I not surprised to find this mess:

I have a motorcycle master cylinder reservoir on the way for a catch can, but it hasn’t arrived. I guess I’ll put a cheap sock over it, or plug the hole with something I can easily remove later on.

Geez, I don’t think my wheels have ever been this dirty before. I do like this picture though, looks tough AF:

Front versus rear wheel:

Unfortunately, near the end of the day, my front left tire looked like this:

Coming from a tiny, 450 lb open-wheel autox’r, then autox’ing my own car, I basically went “omgerd to go fast let’s just drive the same way”. After asking for opinions both on here and on the fb group, turns out I was waaaaay too aggressive with my inputs and overdrove the car:

I believe the blistering is down to three things:

• The car, being setup to be very “safe” from factory, lots of positive camber wear due to understeer in addition to not enough negative camber to start off with
    • Overheating the fronts by staying out too long and going full Godzilla mode and just sending it for 12 laps at a time (3 KM track), for a total of about 60 laps that day
    • And last but not least, the driver. I definitely need to work on adapting a less aggressive driving style and to adapt my driving to the car

So now I have to get 2 replacement Contis for tires that would’ve otherwise lasted a decent amount of time. Oh well, you live and learn.

For future lapping sessions, I’m definitely going to have some friends with heaps more experience (Ontario Time Attack) sit with me and coach. And likely not so much focus on lap times, but specific techniques I know I need to develop, for example braking + downshifting.

I also decided at this point to pick up a set of Hankook RS4s for events, and leave the Contis for the street. My old winter tires are nearly at their wear bars and they are from 2012, so they’re basically useless at this point. I was planning on pawning off the rims cheap online, but why not use them? They’re 17 x 8 so it’s not ideal, but I’m going to squeeze a set of 245s on them.

Even though 245 will fit on 17x8, I really wouldn't recommend it. 17x8.5 is the minimum you should be aiming for. If you want to keep the budget low, you can't go wrong with a square set of Style 68s. Easy and cheap to find and very light.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    Even though 245 will fit on 17x8, I really wouldn't recommend it. 17x8.5 is the minimum you should be aiming for. If you want to keep the budget low, you can't go wrong with a square set of Style 68s. Easy and cheap to find and very light.
    Yeah, it's not ideal, but not completely uncommon. Also I figured with a dedicated setup that only sees wear at the track, depending on how many events I do they should last a long time, so these are wider for futureproofing. I'm constantly keeping an eye out for cheap 17 x 8.5s and will likely re-mount. However most Style 68s are staggered, so I'd have to piece together a 8.5 square setup from two sets, then somehow pawn off a 7.5" square setup which I'm not sure may be too desirable

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast