Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

From Carolina to Colorado - My ZHP story

Well, I did a thing. I have always been a car nut but never a BMW guy. I have owned tons of Toyotas, Miatas, a few Audis, couple WRXs, Jeeps, and the list goes on. I always bought these with the intention of buying them as project cars, fixing them up, enjoying them for a few months, and then selling them hopefully for a profit and moving on. But this one is going to be different. With graduating college in less then a month, I started really looking at a car that I wanted to keep long term. I have owned a 1996 Land Cruiser since I was 14, and throughout the years I have decked it out to be a go anywhere camping machine. But now that she sits on 37s, is supercharged, and loaded down with all of the overlandy stuff, it gets pretty terrible gas mileage and with 280k I want to stop driving it everyday. But, knowing I have a solid 4 wheel drive, I finally was able to expand my horizons into looking into a two wheel drive car, something that I never really have been able to consider. Then I stumbled into the E46.

6 months back, there was one sitting on a second hand dealer lot that I passed daily on my way to work. One day I decided to go and check it out and as soon as I sat in it I knew these cars were special. The way the doors close, the steering, rowing through the gears I knew this was the car I want. So the search began. Looking through the forums and searching craigslist daily and I finally found one that caught my eye. A ad popped up on the E46 Fanatics that caught my eye. Nice upgrades, seemed well maintained, and a clean body. I reached out to the guy and initially we were to far apart on price. Bummer. So I moved on and kept going on my search. Fast foward to two weeks later and I get a text from the owner with a counteroffer that I could swing. So next thing I know I am searching for a long weekend to go out and buy this thing, and drive it all the way back to Gunnison Colorado. Ticket booked and a week later I was on a red eye flight to go get this thing. I am pretty accustomed to knowing that pictures are always a little nicer then they turn out to be, but in this case the pictures were exactly how the car was. Gave him the money and got on the road and high tailed it to Nashville the first night. Then went from Nashville to Kansas City, and Kansas City to home! Car did not skip a beat besides having the thermostat failed in the open postion. No biggy, order one on FCP Euro and changed it the day I got back.

I am going for a OEM + vibe. I am combing through the cooling system right now and I have done the fuel filter and oil change and added an Ultra Gauge and set the alarm for coolant temp. . Next things up on the list maintenance wise after the cooling system is the VANOS rebuild, DISA replacement, new brakes, and replacing that rubber steering coupler. Upgrade wise I want to put a better sounding stereo in it (with retaining the factory CD player), I really want to get it clear bra’d for the gravely roads here in Colorado, and I might do the under drive pulleys and maybe an intake.

Here is the mod list from the previous owner

OEM M3 Strut Brace
    OEM M3 RTABS with Vorshlag Limiters
    OEM M3 Steering wheel (original alcantra wheel replaced due to being worn)
    Eibach pro kit springs with Koni Yellow Adjustables struts/shocks
    17x9 Apex ARC8
    TMS Swaybars with the Teflon bushings
    TFX Projector retrofit into existing OEM headlights (due to burnt zkw bowls)
    20% window tint
    OEM Aux Input
    Mobius dash cam
    Panavise phone mount

And the maintenance log
    7/2009– Carbon tinting w/ lifetime warranty
    70,836 – Replace crankcase ventilation valve/oil separator, replace intake runner length adj unit
    5/2010 – Duralast 49-DL Battery
    75,420 – Subframe Inspection by Crevier BMW – No problems
    77,506 – Inspection 2 (Oil change, Replace air, fuel, oil, and cabin filters. Spark plugs, diff fluid)
    2010 – Lightwerkz TFX Projector retrofit (ZKW Headlight burnt bowl repair)
    81,479 – Replace fuel tank vent valve
    83,357 – Cooling system overhaul (water pump, radiator hoses, expansion tank), rear brake pads+sensor,FCAB, coolant flush)
    86,433 – Oil change + Filter
    87,000- Idler, Tensioner Pulleys, Both belts (AC and Serpentine)
    88,722 – Oil change + Filter
    88,725 – Differential mount bushing, gasket, diff oil
    ~90k miles- Front Stoptech Rotors/Pads. Brake fluid flush/bleed with Super Blue.
    3/2013 – F/R Turner motorsport sway bars and bushings. New rear end links
    7/2013 – Hood repainted due to staining from vinyl
    92,450- Suspension overhaul- Koni Yellows, Eibach Pro kit, new front strut mounts, rear shock mounts, rear reinforcement plates
    92,500 – Apex ARC8 17x9 ET42 + New Tires
    94,475 – Alignment
    94,500 – Oil filter housing gasket + Oil change +filter
    6/2014 – OEM Rear right window regulator
    6/2014 – Rear left quarter panel painted
    106,888- Starter Replaced
    102,700 – Oil change + filter
    102,700 – Tires Rotated
    107,000 – Diff Bushing Replaced
    107,000 – Power Steering reservoir + Hoses + Flush
    107,100 – Oil Change + Filter, Coolant Flush
    108,000 – OEM windshield Cowl
    108,500 – OEM M3 RTABs + Vorshlag Limiters
    108,961 – Alignment
    112,067 – Fuel Filter + new hoses, vacuum hose repair, Air Filter, Tire rotation
    112,150 – Fuel Pump Replaced
    115,681 – Passenger Airbag Recall, Tail light Ground Wire Recall
    116,986 - Rear Stoptech Rotors & Pads, Brake Fluid Flush ATE Typ200. Oil Change + Filter
    117,000- OEM AL Headlight lenses and new OEM Gaskets
    118,600- OEM VCG and 15 grommets, Cleaned cabin filter
    120,600- OEM Alarm Installed + Coded
    120,600- Michelin PSS 245/40/17 Square Setup
    124,660- Oil change + Filter
    129,020- Drivers Side Airbag Recall
    129,075- OEM Rear left window regulator
    130,919- Oil change + Filter
    133,000- Repainted front/rear bumpers, roof moldings, and hood due to rock chips/scratches.
    133,057- Battery change (Duralast H8-DLG)
    144,708 – Oil Change + Filter
    151,137- New Tires – Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+
    157,600- New Cabin Filter, Air filter, BMW Trunk Emblem
    157,330 – Oil Change + Filter
    157,800- Passenger side airbag recall
    157,868- Idler pulley, AC pulley (hydraulic), Tensioner Pulley (hydraulic), belts. Tire rotation
    157,880- OEM Front Control Arm Bushings
    163,797- OEM Gas Cap
    163,797- Coolant Flush, Tire Rotation
    167,064- Oil Change + Filter, Air Conditioning Service (recharge, detected no leaks)

Friday March 4th 2022 New Ownership

171,000 – Oil change + Filter, BMW Oil and Filter
    174,259- Oil Change w/ Castrol 0W-40 Euro, Mann oil filter, Mann air filter
    174,327 - Fuel Filter Replaced (Kunttaii), Radar hardwired, wireless magnetic charger (IPhone MagSafe so no extra case or magnet required)
    174,380 - Vibrant 1148 Muffler - Installed by Gunnison Muffler

Anyways without further ado here are some more pics! I don’t know why I am so challenged uploading photos here, so here is google photos link for now until I can figure it out. Love to hear everyone’s feedback and if y’all think I am overlooking anything please let me know!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/r6TCGp1QXjiE6HYf7

More to come! Excited to be apart of the community! Cheers all!

Andrew

Welcome, Andrew. That’s a very good service list.

Just curious, what were the specs of the ZHP you drove first? I wonder why you didn’t pull the trigger on that one.

Edit : I use this icon to post pics. You may need to resize the pics.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...894#post612894
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Thank you! I will look into resizing I totally missed that thank you! And the one I drove was rough. It had been sitting outside at this ghetto car lot for months and had over 200k and the biggest deal breaker for me, it was an auto. Had good bones though and sold me on the platform.

Great looking car! Enjoy it!
    I see the UltraGauge II. Good stuff. You know you can get a thin transparent redish film to go on top of the display to almost match the orange of the dash.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Great looking ZHP!
    ZHP beater

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Great looking car! Enjoy it!
    I see the UltraGauge II. Good stuff. You know you can get a thin transparent redish film to go on top of the display to almost match the orange of the dash.
    Thanks you! That was my biggest gripe with it was the blue color didn’t go with any of the interior lights I will definitely look into that thank you! I have been very impressed with the Ultra Gauge, I have a Scan Gauge in my Land Cruiser and I can’t believe how they still are asking $140 after being out for as long as they have. Big fan of the Ultra Gauge. Cheers!

No problem. Link to the stuff is here.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg