Tim's Mystic Blue ZHP Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    Who else likes silver trim over black ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by d-rod View Post
    Who else likes silver trim over black ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everyone. I'm dying for a Silver Cube set for a coupe

With the car in storage, thereís not a whole lot going onÖ so I decided to work on some stuff I could do without it. Since Iím back at school, and all undergrad classes are online, the machine shop is pretty much dead. So why not take advantage of the quietness to make some tools!

First up are the spring seat wrenches. The previous owner of my coilovers couldnít find them anywhere, so instead of buying new ones I decided to make my own. $2 of 3/16Ē steel plate, a few minutes on the waterjet, and a quick spraybomb later I had this:

(I know, I knowÖ the bends donít match up because I stupidly bent both the same way the first time, when they should be mirrored parts. Itíll still work.)

Next up are the toe jigs. I took some measurements on my car before putting it away, and decided to mount into the two hood latch holes in the front, and the two hooks on the inside of the trunk sill.

Once again, sticking with the theme of making everything on the cheap Ė all I had to pay was a few bucks for fasteners and a short piece of ĺĒ round aluminium stock. The extrusions themselves were all being recycled so I snagged a bunch.

Started off with a CAD model:

WIP:

Done! Crossing my fingers theyíll fit.

These are the pins that go into the hood latch holes:

A few days later, I was helping my friend diagnose a small coolant leak, so it was the perfect opportunity to test fit the jigs! They fit nice, but snug Ė so much so that you have to lightly push it against the bumper for it to go on. I was planning on wrapping some pool noodle or MF towel around the areas that rub on paint, Iím hoping thereís enough leeway to allow for that. Worst-case, Iíll just remake the horizontal front-to-back pieces a little longer. Iíll re-assess in April when Iím able to test it on my car:

Next was the steering rack alignment tool which is sold by Turner Motorsports. This tool sandwiches between the inner tie rod nut and a shoulder on the rack housing, which ensures the steering is locked straight when doing alignments. This is much more effective than a steering wheel lock, as the guibo on the steering column still allows for torsional flex. I havenít had the greatest of luck with keeping a centred steering wheel with my previous DIY alignments so Iím hoping I can dial it in much better with this tool, along with the toe jigs.

Thanks to a couple people on a couple forums, I was able to gather dimensions to machine my own:

I also acquired a set of scales and will be making leveling pads but as thatís likely not until next year, Iíll leave that for the next post.
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Cool! I wish I had access to a nice shop like that while I was in undergrad.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Cool! I wish I had access to a nice shop like that while I was in undergrad.
    Yeah, it's definitely handy. I'm making the most of it before I graduate next summer!

Those are awesome.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, Ground Control Coilovers, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

damn tim, nice work! I need to hear over to you garage to check in. my e46 probably has a lot of problems lol

-Daniel
    OEM BMW Performance (Missing cams and seats)
    LEVEL ONE // Euro Techniks
    Auto -> 6 Speed complete

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Those are awesome.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Thanks JR!
    Quote Originally Posted by kakashi169 View Post
    damn tim, nice work! I need to hear over to you garage to check in. my e46 probably has a lot of problems lol
    Lol no way... I watched that video you posted of your car, it's a very clean build. And for sure Daniel, hopefully once COVID blows over!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213