Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Dead Battery, what to do from here?

Hello All,

So a few days ago, I was an idiot and decided to hang out in my car with all the electricals on without the engine running for about an hour and a half. Much to no one's surprise, the battery is now dead. When I try to start, I get battered with "low voltage" warnings from my radar detector and my radio system does not work at all. Upon second start, I get flickering lights, and nothing at all.

Would it be better to just get a new battery? Or is it possible to recharge it? Don't want to risk anything during these covid times so staying home would be the best option.

Thanks!
    1991 E30 Alpinweiß 325iX [SOLD]
    2005 E46 Sparkling Graphite Metallic 330Ci ZHP 6spd

how old is the battery? Generally, your battery should be good for a minimum of 5 years or so, so you could just charge it. If it's much older than that, you're starting to be on borrowed time anyway and due for a new one

You could always pull it out and take it to Autozone to be tested.
    Pete

What Pete says. Depends on age.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
    how old is the battery? Generally, your battery should be good for a minimum of 5 years or so, so you could just charge it. If it's much older than that, you're starting to be on borrowed time anyway and due for a new one

You could always pull it out and take it to Autozone to be tested.
    I actually just got it back from Autozone and got it charged. Not gonna lie, the battery did seem a bit swollen on one side and the clamp on the rear doesn't seem to be going down as far as it did when I took it out. Will have it checked at my shop tomorrow.

Is there a date code on the battery to determine it's age?
    Pete

Wasn't able to take a good look for a while, but I don't think I saw a sticker, will get a better look tomorrow.

ok, back to the swollen comment:

Not good...

https://www.ridetime.ca/blog/5-signs...w-car-battery/
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
    ok, back to the swollen comment:

Not good...

https://www.ridetime.ca/blog/5-signs...w-car-battery/
    Hahah, I contacted the previous owner, he said he replaced the battery about two years after he bought the car himself, which makes the battery around 7-8 years old. Either way, after getting it recharged, it doesn't hold charge at all anyways. I'm looking into the Exide Edge 94R, because the previous battery was also an Exide and I would like to keep things as OE as possible, but Home Depot is saying that such battery is not compatible, despite it being the same dimensions as the compatible battery they offered.

I've also put in a new thread, hoping to get more info!!

It doesn't matter if the battery is the same dimensions. What you need to look at are the CCAs and the specs.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    It doesn't matter if the battery is the same dimensions. What you need to look at are the CCAs and the specs.
    Reserve Capacity (RC) is the new stat to pay attention to vs. CCA.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats