Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Battery Replacement Confusion

Hello All,

It seems as if my battery needs to be replaced, but I am having some confusion with it. I would like to go as OEM as possible, as the battery my previous owner put in, and Exide battery, lasted about 7-8 years. Upon some research, I saw the Exide Edge 94R battery as a suitable replacement.

However, when doing a quick vehicle search on the Home Depot website, it says that the battery would not fit my car, despite all the dimensions being totally the same. Would this possibly because something with changing the coding to an AGM-type battery?

Also, it seems as if I don't have a breather hose in my battery compartment. How necessary is this?

Thank you!

Edit: here is where I found the batteries in research
    https://www.youcanic.com/vehicle/bmw...-batteries-bmw
    1991 E30 Alpinweiß 325iX [SOLD]
    2005 E46 Sparkling Graphite Metallic 330Ci ZHP 6spd

You can install an AGM battery just fine. There is no coding necessary.
    From what I've read, AGM batteries also don't require the vent tube to be attached.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    From what I've read, AGM batteries also don't require the vent tube to be attached.
    I have a Bosch AGM battery, and there was no vent
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
    I have a Bosch AGM battery, and there was no vent
    Neither do both of my AGM batteries in the ZHP and touring.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    So I'm seeing that the Edge is battery acid, while the other suggested is sulfuric acid/water, and the Edge is smaller by decimals of an inch. The website lists the edge as 80000mAh, while the other is 81. I'm not sure if they're labelled incorrectly, but the Edge is marked as L4/94R/H7 whereas the other is H7/L4/94R. Would the Edge work fine?

Apologies in advanced, not too knowledgeable on batteries.

I'm not sure why you're shopping for a battery at Home Depot, but that's beside the point! H7 is the correct size. The H8 is an inch longer, will fit, usually has more CCAs & may cost less, so shop them as well. Do you have a Walmart, Advance Auto, Autozone, NAPA or Pep Boys (usually carry Bosch) around you? Look for an online coupon before paying.

Who Really Makes It & When Did They Make It?

Most automotive batteries made in America are manufactured by one of two companies: Johnson Controls, Inc. or Exide Technologies. The dominant replacement market brand names, Interstate and DieHard, are both Johnson Controls products, as is the Optima brand. Exide Technologies markets batteries under the Exide, and NASCAR Select brand names, and has manufactured the Champion brand, as well. However, Champion batteries are now manufactured by Johnson Controls. The other large domestic battery manufacturer, Delphi Corporation, sold its automotive battery business to Johnson Controls in 2005.

Though a particular battery’s manufacturer can be identified though a manufacturer’s code number stamped into the battery’s case, here’s a short list of what’s made by whom:
    Brand Manufacturer
    ACDelco Johnson Controls
    Advance Auto Johnson Controls
    AutoCraft Johnson Controls
    Autolite Exide
    AutoZone Johnson Controls
    Bosch Johnson Controls
    Champion Johnson Controls
    Costco Johnson Controls
    Delco Johnson Controls
    Delco-Remy Exide
    DieHard Johnson Controls
    Duralast Johnson Controls
    Equalizer Johnson Controls
    EverStart (Wal-Mart) Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on model
    Firestone Johnson Controls
    Interstate Johnson Controls
    Marathon Exide
    Motorcraft Johnson Controls
    NAPA Exide
    Optima Johnson Controls
    Orbital Exide
    Pep Boys Johnson Controls
    Sears Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on model
    Wal-Mart Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on model

There is also a date code showing when the battery was manufactured. This is usually on a sticker attached to the battery or stamped into its case. It is a letter/number code. The standard convention is that the letter is the month of manufacture, alphabetically A through M but omitting I, with A being January and M being December. The number is the last digit in the year of manufacture. So, C6 is March 2006.

There are, however, some exceptions to this nomenclature. On Delco batteries, the arrangement was reversed: year first, then month. Exide batteries often bury the month/year designation in a larger number, so it is usually the fourth and fifth characters in that number.

https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtips/battery/
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    I'm not sure why you're shopping for a battery at Home Depot, but that's beside the point! H7 is the correct size. The H8 is an inch longer, will fit, usually has more CCAs & may cost less, so shop them as well. Do you have a Walmart, Advance Auto, Autozone, NAPA or Pep Boys (usually carry Bosch) around you? Look for an online coupon before paying.

Who Really Makes It & When Did They Make It?

Most automotive batteries made in America are manufactured by one of two companies: Johnson Controls, Inc. or Exide Technologies. The dominant replacement market brand names, Interstate and DieHard, are both Johnson Controls products, as is the Optima brand. Exide Technologies markets batteries under the Exide, and NASCAR Select brand names, and has manufactured the Champion brand, as well. However, Champion batteries are now manufactured by Johnson Controls. The other large domestic battery manufacturer, Delphi Corporation, sold its automotive battery business to Johnson Controls in 2005.

Though a particular battery’s manufacturer can be identified though a manufacturer’s code number stamped into the battery’s case, here’s a short list of what’s made by whom:
    Brand Manufacturer
    ACDelco Johnson Controls
    Advance Auto Johnson Controls
    AutoCraft Johnson Controls
    Autolite Exide
    AutoZone Johnson Controls
    Bosch Johnson Controls
    Champion Johnson Controls
    Costco Johnson Controls
    Delco Johnson Controls
    Delco-Remy Exide
    DieHard Johnson Controls
    Equalizer Johnson Controls
    EverStart (Wal-Mart) Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on model
    Firestone Johnson Controls
    Interstate Johnson Controls
    Marathon Exide
    Motorcraft Johnson Controls
    NAPA Exide
    Optima Johnson Controls
    Orbital Exide
    Pep Boys Johnson Controls
    Sears Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on model
    Wal-Mart Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on model

There is also a date code showing when the battery was manufactured. This is usually on a sticker attached to the battery or stamped into its case. It is a letter/number code. The standard convention is that the letter is the month of manufacture, alphabetically A through M but omitting I, with A being January and M being December. The number is the last digit in the year of manufacture. So, C6 is March 2006.

There are, however, some exceptions to this nomenclature. On Delco batteries, the arrangement was reversed: year first, then month. Exide batteries often bury the month/year designation in a larger number, so it is usually the fourth and fifth characters in that number.

https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtips/battery/
    Thank you for that! I actually wasn't planning on getting it from Home Depot, rather was just comparing the types, as their site was the only one I could find that had Exide batteries on their site. I'm guessing that Exide and Johnson Controls are like the Luxotticas of automotive batteries? At the moment, I only have a small Pepboys and an even smaller Autozone near me, so I'd have to go further out to get something good I guess.

Pep Boys is having a 25% off sale on Bosch and Champion with free install: https://www.pepboys.com/bosch-platin...OHC?quantity=1
    Pete

I know you're determines to purchase an Exide-made replacement, but there is nothing wrong with Johnson Control batteries. I've used Interstate for decades. My most recent purchase was an Autocraft Platinum H7-AGM for my ZHP (due to price/availability). Good luck!
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    I know you're determines to purchase an Exide-made replacement, but there is nothing wrong with Johnson Control batteries. I've used Interstate for decades. My most recent purchase was an Autocraft Platinum H7-AGM for my ZHP (due to price/availability). Good luck!
    Haha, I guess out of superstition, because of my previous battery lasting as long as it did, I guess I've tunnel-visioned on Exide. Nevertheless I was able to get one for a good price through my shop. The guy was also a fan of Exide's batteries so I guess we all win here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast