Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Thread: A/C Issues

A/C Issues

So my car sat for 5 years while I was working on rebuilding the motor. I got the motor back in and I’m having issues with my A/C.

The A/C system was left in the car intact. I did not undo any lines or open the system. When I turned it on the compressor didn’t engage. I got some refrigerant and it wasn’t registering so I added some and the clutch on the compressor engaged. It was a little low so I added some refrigerant. Still hot aur was coming out when the system was set to cool.

Then I noticed this odd hissing sound inside the car when the compressor was running. Any ideas what it could be? I’ve never messed with A/C.

Here is the link to my video of the noise it’s making.

https://youtu.be/0DubcVe2bzM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    BMW Performance Shift Knob / Alcantra Shift Boot / BBS Wheels / 15% Tint
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint
    ER Chargepipe / Tial BOV / Dual Cone Intake / OEM Roof Rack

I haven't done a whole lot of reading on this, but I've heard of a few cases on our cars. I have the same noise as you, but much quieter and it's on/off. I typically put a half to full small can of R134a in every summer, as I find the AC is a bit weak after sitting for a winter. Following this thread to see if others have the same symptoms

Edit: I've seen some people saying it's because it's low on refrigerant. But I did get the AC professionally recharged at some point, and it still made that noise
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    I haven't done a whole lot of reading on this, but I've heard of a few cases on our cars. I have the same noise as you, but much quieter and it's on/off. I typically put a half to full small can of R134a in every summer, as I find the AC is a bit weak after sitting for a winter. Following this thread to see if others have the same symptoms

Edit: I've seen some people saying it's because it's low on refrigerant. But I did get the AC professionally recharged at some point, and it still made that noise
    Could it be leaky o-rings in the system (symptom of an aging car)?

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Could it be leaky o-rings in the system (symptom of an aging car)?
    Hmmm yeah possibly, though it seems like only German cars, or at least BMWs have this problem. My parent's cars of equal vintage (2002 and 2003 Toyotas) are still on their original refrigerant.

Perhaps I should throw some dye in there and check those connections? But if it's anything that's too hard to fix, I'll just leave it
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    ...My parent's cars of equal vintage (2002 and 2003 Toyotas) are still on their original refrigerant...
    Ha. Toyotas, in my experience, seem to always have cold AC and solid AM/FM radio reception.