Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VANOS Rebuild Cost

Hi Folks,

Can someone from the PNW give me a sense for what I should expect for cost to get my VANOS rebuilt? It is really the last thing I have on my list in terms of preventative maintenance and I don't have the skills/tools/experience to do it myself (though I'd love to learn). I'd probably have the VCG and VANOS Oil Line done at the same time, because why not?

Or alternatively, is anyone up this way interested in doing it on the side and teaching me along the way?

It's really not bad, just time consuming. It's one of those projects that seems overwhelming at first so it's a big confidence boost when you complete it. Take a look at the detailed instructions from Besian Systems and try to walk through it one step at a time. If you break it down that way, then it really becomes as simple as loosening a bolt. You can loosen a bolt, right? Cool, on to the next step: tighten a bolt.

This 50sKid video really helped me when I did my VANOS.

330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

I say try it yourself. I did my first VCG replacement this year following the 50sKid's video. The man is a legend. It was not has hard as I thought it would be.

If you are in the OKC area I wouldn't mind helping out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

You can also buy a dr.vanos complete assembly and install that.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

VANOS Rebuild Cost

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    You can also buy a dr.vanos complete assembly and install that.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Yep and mine was FREE. Lol

If you do this check the solenoids for sandblasting grit to make sure they move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

All valid points, but I literally have zero experience, so I'm not sure it is something I want to attempt on my first go around. I know paying to have the car worked on is not popular, but it is likely the path that I will go. Thanks, all!

Quote Originally Posted by 28firefighter View Post
    All valid points, but I literally have zero experience, so I'm not sure it is something I want to attempt on my first go around. I know paying to have the car worked on is not popular, but it is likely the path that I will go. Thanks, all!
    Makes sense. But if you are curious, Dr.Vanos does have a great pdf document for this job. Link below

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...87989536423812

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Id guess $1-1.5k from a shop that charges 100-150 per hour. I only rebuilt mine because it was rattling. My original seals weren't terrible so I didn't notice much difference aside from the rattle being gone. I would definitely wait to do it until you feel comfortable doing it yourself. A bad vanos isn't going to blow up your engine so I don't consider it a preventative maintenance priority especially for the money a shop will charge.

It was the first job I did on my car and wasn't bad due to the great documentation and instruction by beisan but I did have some prior mechanical experience. I would look for local bmw facebook groups that could help you out if you cant find anyone here.

That’s really helpful. I’m going to try my hand at the vanos oil line myself and see how I feel doing that. Someone locally has offered to do it with me and teach me for a couple hundred in labor (including the VCG) so I may do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast