Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Creaking sound from drivers rear at low speed

Hi friends,

I noticed today that I’m getting a creaking noise from the drivers rear at low speeds. I notice it most when slowing to a stop, say less than 15 mph and immediately after I stop.

A lot of work has been done to the suspension front and rear, but I only have records for the front.

Any thoughts?

I chased this exact issue and never resolved it from changing bushings/spring pads/etc. I am working on reinforcing the RACP now (had a crack in the LR wheel well seam) so hoping it was the movement there making the noise.

I really hope it isn't the subframe cracking...

Quote Originally Posted by 28firefighter View Post
    I really hope it isn't the subframe cracking...
    You could get under there and check, if it's truly the RACP that is creaking then more than likely you have some major cracks. FWIW I had 1 fairly long crack, and a split seam in the LR wheel well and did not have any noise
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

I got under there and did not see anything cracking. For what it's worth, I gave the upper strut mounts, control arms, and some of the bushings I could see a squirt with silicone spray just to see if that helped, and I'd say it reduced the noise by 75% - which leads me to believe that it has something to do with worn out bushings.

Going to take it in next week so someone much more experienced than I can take a look.

The LR wheel well is a good spot to check:

If you don't see cracking along the seam there or next to the LR mount then you're probably fine. That's where the shitstorm starts on non-m cars.

Could the squeaking be from sway bar bushing? I changed my sway bars to other BMW OE bars and I noticed there was a creak/squeak afterwards. The noise was very apparent when my rear seats were folded down, whereas I didn't even notice when the seats were up. This noise was noticeable at low speeds (parking lot speeds), but that may be a function of being drowned out by road noise at higher speeds.

I've been meaning to get under there and spray the mounts /bars with some lube.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    The LR wheel well is a good spot to check:

If you don't see cracking along the seam there or next to the LR mount then you're probably fine. That's where the shitstorm starts on non-m cars.
    Damn, that's a bummer! Not to derail this thread, but what's your plan for the fix besides welding? CMP Bar + plates, VinceBar?, Reddish Plates + a bar? CCE46M3 bolting method?

My running suspicion is what you say or possibly a loose left rear upper shock mount. I’m trying to get it into my Indy later this week to diagnose.

Quote Originally Posted by 28firefighter View Post
    My running suspicion is what you say or possibly a loose left rear upper shock mount. I’m trying to get it into my Indy later this week to diagnose.
    Oh man sorry to scare you when I read your first post I thought you said you had been through all of the bushings and stuff. #1 culprit would be sway a sway bar bushing.

Does it happen on (1) regular dips or (2) off-camber dips where the suspension kind of twists?

If (1), then I'd try to test it by putting a jack under the subframe right in front of the differential (don't jack on the differential!) and lifting to extend/compress everything and trying to track the noise

If (2), then lift on the LR jack pad and try to torque that corner and recreate it

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Damn, that's a bummer! Not to derail this thread, but what's your plan for the fix besides welding? CMP Bar + plates, VinceBar?, Reddish Plates + a bar? CCE46M3 bolting method?
    I thoroughly cleaned and inspected the underside and don't even have any pulled spot welds, so not going to waste my time with plates. I'm hoping to address the root cause from above and bandage the crack in the wheel well with some seam sealer + rivets where the spot welds pulled.

For the front mounts, I'm bolting through like CCE46M3 did. For the rear mounts, I'm making some brackets out of aluminum to tie the subframe mounts to the the chassis rail. Similar to the Vincebar design, but will still allow me to install an X brace.

If I hadn't already cut open the floor and ground/flattened the T area on top of the mounts, then I would just be bolting through the front mounts and installing the x brace for the rear. That way the force that pulls down on the LR mount (and causes all of the cracking to start) will be anchored to the shock tower, which is integrated into the chassis rail. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I'll try to post some pics if I ever finish the damn thing!

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post

I'll try to post some pics if I ever finish the damn thing!
    How long has your car been on stands? I remember the pic you posted of your dropped subframe on E46F in April or May, and assuming that pic of the split seam sealer is recent, man that's quite long downtime.

But, given the current situation now would be the best time to carry out all this car work, especially if WFH
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast