Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    what are we doing here, building airplanes?!
    Lol I actually got a rivet spacing equation from an aircraft design book...I went with the minimum...

...And used massive headed rivets

It's obnoxious, but uhhh pretty strong

Wow!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by 28firefighter View Post
    You nailed it - RTABs are shot and the left side completely fell out, so the rear trail arm is just resting on the chassis accounting for the noise. I'm obviously having them do both sides. They need to order parts, so will be fixed next week.
    Glad the culprit was found, otherwise I'd feel real bad about derailing this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I would have gone with just the x brace if I hadn't already cut open the floor and made some brackets to attach the subframe mounts to the chassis rail (like the vincebar does). I fabricated them weeks ago and finally found a few hours tonight to install them with panel bond and an unnecessary amount of rivets. I also did an aluminum plate tying the floor and rails all together. It was really just a convoluted way to get the same result as the vincebar but will still allow me to install the x brace.

Wow, amazing. What's all that black stuff, POR15? Also, will you be writing it up? I'm fascinated with your approach to this problem. Did you have to do any welding?

I have too many questions. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Wow, amazing. What's all that black stuff, POR15?
    My guess is structural adhesive, this man is building an airplane
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Wow, amazing. What's all that black stuff, POR15? Also, will you be writing it up? I'm fascinated with your approach to this problem. Did you have to do any welding?

I have too many questions. lol

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    My guess is structural adhesive, this man is building an airplane
    Yep, 3M panel bond. That's why I sanded all of the mating surfaces before install - that stuff bonds hard to unprepped surfaces so I'm sure it's in there for good now.

I did no welding. The idea was based on Vince's epoxy kit, with a lot of design and fab on the fly as I went along. I'll try to post all this in my build thread so we can discuss it there instead of continuing the massive hijack here!

Good news: RTABs took care of the creaking. Car rides great.

Bad news: After an alignment, now have a DSC and Yellow Brake light illuminated. Was not on previous and car was never out of alignment. Did the alignment to make sure things were straight after the bushings. Drove it about 20 miles, tried taking the steering wheel lock to lock, nothing. So, back to the shop it’ll go.

Quote Originally Posted by 28firefighter View Post
    Good news: RTABs took care of the creaking. Car rides great.

Bad news: After an alignment, now have a DSC and Yellow Brake light illuminated. Was not on previous and car was never out of alignment. Did the alignment to make sure things were straight after the bushings. Drove it about 20 miles, tried taking the steering wheel lock to lock, nothing. So, back to the shop it’ll go.
    I wonder if it is the steering angle sensor requiring calibration. During my DIY alignment woes, that was something that I came across during my research
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

That was my thought too. I decided to order the Foxwell NT510 from amazon. I figure I need an OBD reader anyway and this will cost only a bit more than taking it to the shop for diagnosis.

And for what must be a first in BMW history, the light turned itself off this morning....go figure.

lol probably the steering angle sensor. The foxwell should be able to pull/clear it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast