Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewiwrangler View Post
    I have seen that the Turner BMW guys sell a chassis reinforcement kit, so I'll likely buy that.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-9...forcement-kit/
    I was about to say the usual "don't use TMS plates" but it seems they have revised them with more coverage, so it's a lot better than before. But it's still not as much as the Redish Motorsport plates which are tried and true, if you can spring for those, you know you're getting something that works.

Just doing plates for a street & light autox/track duty car should be okay, but does not fix the root cause of RACP issues. There's a lot of good info on M3Forum (RIP), but IMO if you plan to do a lot of autox'ing & track, you should think about a topside reinforcement to the chassis rails.
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

welcome from the Northeast! love the color!
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Ewiwrangler View Post
    Interestingly enough, according to the CARFAX service records this care spend the last 2-3 years in Huntsville with service performed at "Century Automotive Group" so maybe you have crossed paths with my new baby! I love the mods you have done and I will be headed the same direction after I get the basic inspection, etc done. Do you have the subframe reinforcement kit done? I've read ALL E46's have this issue and I've read only pre-2001 have this issue so i have no clue who to believe but in my mind it's better to error on the side of safety/dependability since this car will be pushed.
    There was one in the area but, I could never even make facial contact with him. As for the subframe, no I have never had anything done with it and it hasn’t given me any handling or tire ware issues. And I just had an issue with Century forgetting to put the oil in the wife’s M235 vert. Still in the testing stage of the new engine at 0 cost.

For the most part mines been a split of dealer services, mechanical jobs done by myself and NTB for Tirerack installation. Also used nothing but BMW OEM except when better was available (Hawk, Stewart, DINAN). Also still current on the mileage book stArted day one of ownership. Currently down and needing a $500 power steering pump.

Sent from my iPhone Xs using Tapatalk

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Congrats and welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Adolfo

2004 330Ci ZHP Orient Blue Metallic
    2002 ///M Roadster Steel Grey Metallic
    1988 325is Zinnoberrot
    1974 2002 Atlantik Blau
    2015 X5 ///M Sport Black Sapphire Metallic (Sold May 2018)
    1999 323i Alpine White (Sold June 2010)

Welcome to the IR club!

Regarding the subframe reinforcement -- I just went over this with the place where my car is at the moment (eMpower in NJ). The owner is a former BMW service manager and BMW (and E46) enthusiast. He's seen it all.

He has my subframe out and did an inspection. No issues whatsoever. My car is an '05, and I've read that something changed sometime in the E46 run and that the later cars are better. My car has the foam in the floor that BMW recommended as a fix, and he says he's never seen one crack with that foam, and hasn't seen one crack on a later model car. SO long story short, I went without the plates. You may not need them. My car's got 172k miles on it -- if it was going to crack, it would have done so already.

But peace of mind is also a good thing. If you're reinforcing the floor, maybe think about all of the bushings that are easily replaced when the subframe is out.
    - Marc

Awesome! Thanks for the advice, now I will ask the shop doing my first service (all fluids replaced, VANOS, etc.) to look and see if my '04 has the foam in the floor. If so I can spend that money I would have used on the plates elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by zhpnsnv View Post
    Welcome to the IR club!

Regarding the subframe reinforcement -- I just went over this with the place where my car is at the moment (eMpower in NJ). The owner is a former BMW service manager and BMW (and E46) enthusiast. He's seen it all.

He has my subframe out and did an inspection. No issues whatsoever. My car is an '05, and I've read that something changed sometime in the E46 run and that the later cars are better. My car has the foam in the floor that BMW recommended as a fix, and he says he's never seen one crack with that foam, and hasn't seen one crack on a later model car. SO long story short, I went without the plates. You may not need them. My car's got 172k miles on it -- if it was going to crack, it would have done so already.

But peace of mind is also a good thing. If you're reinforcing the floor, maybe think about all of the bushings that are easily replaced when the subframe is out.
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP So far 100% Stock

If you are ever headed to any car shows/cruise ins in N. Alabama, let me know because I would love the opportunity to meet up and chat bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ZHPGUY View Post
    There was one in the area but, I could never even make facial contact with him. As for the subframe, no I have never had anything done with it and it hasn’t given me any handling or tire ware issues. And I just had an issue with Century forgetting to put the oil in the wife’s M235 vert. Still in the testing stage of the new engine at 0 cost.

For the most part mines been a split of dealer services, mechanical jobs done by myself and NTB for Tirerack installation. Also used nothing but BMW OEM except when better was available (Hawk, Stewart, DINAN). Also still current on the mileage book stArted day one of ownership. Currently down and needing a $500 power steering pump.

Sent from my iPhone Xs using Tapatalk
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP So far 100% Stock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12