Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Chronic Oil Filter Gasket Problem

Friends - My preventative maintenance has turned to chronic maintenance. Several weeks ago I changed out alternator and the oil filter housing gasket. Later noticed oil on the garage floor. Looked like it was coming from the OFG housing. Took apart, cleaned up and put in new OFG. Took great care to make sure the two faces of the housing were clean and so everything would get seated properly. Now getting more abundant leak. took a good look at the pan gasket and everything seems to be okay there. About to tear down the OFHousing and try again. Must be something I am not considering . . . a special Bavarian chant as I am tightening down the bolts? Any suggestions are appreciated. Best, Dave M.
    2005 Imola Red; Black Leather

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInMD View Post
    Friends - My preventative maintenance has turned to chronic maintenance. Several weeks ago I changed out alternator and the oil filter housing gasket. Later noticed oil on the garage floor. Looked like it was coming from the OFG housing. Took apart, cleaned up and put in new OFG. Took great care to make sure the two faces of the housing were clean and so everything would get seated properly. Now getting more abundant leak. took a good look at the pan gasket and everything seems to be okay there. About to tear down the OFHousing and try again. Must be something I am not considering . . . a special Bavarian chant as I am tightening down the bolts? Any suggestions are appreciated. Best, Dave M.
    Unusual. At the risk of stating obvious, don’t be tempted to tighten it more...if you strip alum threads it’s a problem.

Are you using a good quality gasket not bought on EBay?

I have heard of the OFH warping, but it’s rare. If I were you I would place it on a piece of glass and check it
    I have also heard replacement OFH’s (i.e non original) sometimes have trouble sealing. Is yours original?

Are all the locating dowels still in place ?

The gasket does the sealing. I tighten evenly with a quarter-inch ratchet by hand and usually don’t have a pblm.
    Clean it all well, and give it another go.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot05 View Post
    Unusual. At the risk of stating obvious, don’t be tempted to tighten it more...if you strip alum threads it’s a problem.

Are you using a good quality gasket not bought on EBay?

I have heard of the OFH warping, but it’s rare. If I were you I would place it on a piece of glass and check it
    I have also heard replacement OFH’s (i.e non original) sometimes have trouble sealing. Is yours original?

Are all the locating dowels still in place ?

The gasket does the sealing. I tighten evenly with a quarter-inch ratchet by hand and usually don’t have a pblm.
    Clean it all well, and give it another go.

Just wrapped up but I saw this as I started removing the housing. Good to think of these things and look at some issues with a closer eye. My wife looked at me oddly when I said "Can you go up in the guest room and get that drawing of Paris that used to be in the kids bathroom -- and bring me down the glass -- just the glass."

we'll see how she runs in the next few days. Thanks again. Be well.
    2005 Imola Red; Black Leather

Interested to hear if it's warped! That may have happened with mine too, but the leak has been small enough that I haven't bothered to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInMD View Post
    "Can you go up in the guest room and get that drawing of Paris that used to be in the kids bathroom -- and bring me down the glass -- just the glass."
    So.... what's up with this glass? I wanna be in on this joke, too.

GL and keep us posted

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    So.... what's up with this glass? I wanna be in on this joke, too.
    He's using the piece of flat glass to check that the OFH isn't warped.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Chronic Oil Filter Gasket Problem

Are you using the OE Nitrile buna gasket or the Viton Hi-Temp version? I applied a thin coating of Hi Temp sealant and the installed the gasket. Never leaked afterwards. The Viton version is $30 vs the $8 OE one but worth it in my opinion. Take a look at the heat ratings of the material.

BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    He's using the piece of flat glass to check that the OFH isn't warped.
    Ah! Thanks.

I had this problem once, the issue was tightening down the bolts one at a time. If you tighten them all evenly in small increments to the torque spec, it pulls the housing down gradually and evenly ensuring a good seal.