Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Origin of the M Shift Knob

Hey Everyone, so I’ve been noticing that a lot of the newer BMW’s (that are offered in manual) have the 6 speed M shift knob. Seems like they got it from the ZHP 6-speed shift knob. Is the ZHP the pioneer of the M 6-speed shift knob? I know the M3 had a 6-speed M shift knob but they are a lot taller than the ZHP’s OEM shift knob. It’s crazy how BMW still uses the shift knob the OEM ZHP had back in the day

I'm not sure, however, the first time I've seen the knob was from a 330 SSG in 2002 in the EU. Instead of the H pattern, it said SSG on the top. Same with the SMG later on. The knob was also lighter. What made the ZHP knob special was the fact that it was weighted IMO. I've had both versions, and the weighted is so much nicer. But if it was not the first, I would say the ZHP is what cemented it's popularity.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I test drove an M2C and it had the same ZHP shift knob as mine, and i heard the new G80 M3 also has the exact same ZHP weighted shift knob.