Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Electric Cars to Replace Your ZHP... Eventually?

With the popularity and viability of electric getting higher, any of you who have been enjoying the e46 for a while decided to electric, and what are your comments if so?

Obviously you need a home where charging is easy and can't be the type to want long road trips regularly, but otherwise so many positives.

The i3 is ridiculously ugly but the i8 is amazing...besides that, many other models and brands here and coming out, with improved range and battery, and the 0-60 like 1.9s from Tesla, that's getting close to fighter jet acceleration... For regular car price.

I personally do enjoy the gas engine noise and shifting etc, but I could easily get over that for other benefits, like that acceleration.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

NEVER... F'ING NEVER...
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    NEVER... F'ING NEVER...
    This.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I'm in the middle of a 24 month lease on a BMW i3 REx with Tera, Tech, and HK that serves as my daily. For our family, it is an ideal around town car - small, maneuverable, and very efficient. It is also incredibly cheap to lease/operate - my lease was $225 at signing and $225/month for 23 more payments including tax, tags, etc thanks to some incredible BMW incentives when I got it last year. It only costs me about $12/month in electricity. I recognize that I will unlikely be able to find another car this cheap to run ever again.

It is nothing like the ZHP (or our Outback) and isn't supposed to be. Looks are...well, it grows on you. It is actually pretty fun to tool around in though, as mentioned, not particularly fast.

When the lease is up I'm seriously considering moving the ZHP to daily driver status since I'll be WFH anyway for the foreseeable future.

I would take and I8 IN ADDITION to me ZHP. No effin way I give up my ZHP until I can't drive it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I'm not giving up on the E46 until you literally can't buy gas anymore. And even then I'd rather try to convert a rotary engine to hydrogen than go electric.

Now if we're talking about an electric car in ADDITION to the ZHP, my first choice would be the Opel Corsa-E. I think it looks really cool and seems like a great compact option for getting around town or to work. It's also got that slowcarfast feel about it that I love. I might also be persuaded to get a Mazda MX-30, IF ONLY for the suicide doors.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

I had similar perspective - BEV? No way! - until I leased myself a 2015 i3 BEV (Giga, Parking + Tech Pkg). With exception of the range (about 75 miles with that battery size at the time) it relegated my e46m3 to the garage, which was fine by me.

Mileage-wise over the 32 months: ~38k miles on the i3, and ~1.5k miles on the m3 (and this included a ~550 mile round trip to Vegas).

The i3 was just a fantastic car, the only downside was the limited range which has improved since I had my '15. It's nice to just hop in a car and go, with all of the latest tech, safety upgrades, and none of the worries about maintenance.

What I liked:
    - Elevated seating position, for looking further down the road and for not having to step up or drop down for ingress / egress (I appreciate the little things, and I'm lazy like that. lol)
    - Fantastic visibility
    - Carbon fiber chassis and the torsional rigidity. I had no shakes/rattles. This is a safer platform than e46, too.
    - Low C.G.
    - Rear weight bias
    - Instant torque, was zippy around town and even getting onto freeway.
    - Spaciousness - I had 4 adults in the car and everyone, including those in backseats, noted how spacious it was
    - Large door aperture for ease of ingress / egress
    - How quiet it was, great for DD.
    - BMW suspension tuning. Fun to drive, familiar handling to other BMWs.
    - Seats are really supportive and surprisingly comfortable, could use slightly more side bolstering but that never was a problem
    - The tech, like radar cruise control (this is great for slow moving traffic)
    - LED headlights (better than the xenons imo)
    - Plastic body panels that didn't get door dings
    - Nothing to maintain (other than brake fluid flush every 2 years; I didn't change tires in 38k miles)
    - Nothing to warm up, just get in and go
    - The crazy subsidized lease by BMW (I was at $257/mo including taxes, $0 down, 15k miles/yr, for 30 months (I extended 2 additional months)), and then I received rebates from CA and then from my electric company... I think it basically dropped my out of pocket to about 180 or so. Really good for a car that had a $48k MSRP.
    - At that time BMW had a program with EVGo for free charging. I was utilizing this for 20-30 min top offs. Charging at work was free. I spent <$250 in charging fees away from home, and probably $5-10 additional on the monthly electric bill, for the duration of the lease. Previously, I was spending $250-400 / month just on gas for the m3 for commuting (~55 miles each way to UCLA, or ~30 miles each way to Long Beach).

What I didn't like:
    - the 64ah (or whatever it was) battery that limited my range to about 75 miles. This has since been improved.
    - I didn't have a 240v outlet at my house - I was too cheap and didn't know if I'd still have BEV after the i3.
    - The snootiness and holier-than-thou attitude of some BEV drivers, reminds me of when the Prius first came out. Although they prob comprise of a small minority of the owners they are insufferable imo.

If I didn't have the i3 as my DD, my m3 would have had 38K more miles along with the associated maintenance, tires, and fuel costs.

It's too bad they look to be discontinuing the i3 BEV, I'd get another to use as a DD and keep my 6mt m3 (or similar) as the occasional fun car. It's a great combo.

Edit: BEV as my only car, I'd learn to live with it and I'd probably be fairly happy. Let's say 95%, but that last 5% is significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I had similar perspective - BEV? No way! - until I leased myself a 2015 i3 BEV (Giga, Parking + Tech Pkg). With exception of the range (about 75 miles with that battery size at the time) it relegated my e46m3 to the garage, which was fine by me.

Mileage-wise over the 32 months: ~38k miles on the i3, and ~1.5k miles on the m3 (and this included a ~550 mile round trip to Vegas).

The i3 was just a fantastic car, the only downside was the limited range which has improved since I had my '15. It's nice to just hop in a car and go, with all of the latest tech, safety upgrades, and none of the worries about maintenance.

What I liked:
    - Elevated seating position, for looking further down the road and for not having to step up or drop down for ingress / egress (I appreciate the little things, and I'm lazy like that. lol)
    - Fantastic visibility
    - Carbon fiber chassis and the torsional rigidity. I had no shakes/rattles. This is a safer platform than e46, too.
    - Low C.G.
    - Rear weight bias
    - Instant torque, was zippy around town and even getting onto freeway.
    - Spaciousness - I had 4 adults in the car and everyone, including those in backseats, noted how spacious it was
    - Large door aperture for ease of ingress / egress
    - How quiet it was, great for DD.
    - BMW suspension tuning. Fun to drive, familiar handling to other BMWs.
    - Seats are really supportive and surprisingly comfortable, could use slightly more side bolstering but that never was a problem
    - The tech, like radar cruise control (this is great for slow moving traffic)
    - LED headlights (better than the xenons imo)
    - Plastic body panels that didn't get door dings
    - Nothing to maintain (other than brake fluid flush every 2 years; I didn't change tires in 38k miles)
    - Nothing to warm up, just get in and go
    - The crazy subsidized lease by BMW (I was at $257/mo including taxes, $0 down, 15k miles/yr, for 30 months (I extended 2 additional months)), and then I received rebates from CA and then from my electric company... I think it basically dropped my out of pocket to about 180 or so. Really good for a car that had a $48k MSRP.
    - At that time BMW had a program with EVGo for free charging. I was utilizing this for 20-30 min top offs. Charging at work was free. I spent <$250 in charging fees away from home, and probably $5-10 additional on the monthly electric bill, for the duration of the lease. Previously, I was spending $250-400 / month just on gas for the m3 for commuting (~55 miles each way to UCLA, or ~30 miles each way to Long Beach).

What I didn't like:
    - the 64ah (or whatever it was) battery that limited my range to about 75 miles. This has since been improved.
    - I didn't have a 240v outlet at my house - I was too cheap and didn't know if I'd still have BEV after the i3.
    - The snootiness and holier-than-thou attitude of some BEV drivers, reminds me of when the Prius first came out. Although they prob comprise of a small minority of the owners they are insufferable imo.

If I didn't have the i3 as my DD, my m3 would have had 38K more miles along with the associated maintenance, tires, and fuel costs.

It's too bad they look to be discontinuing the i3 BEV, I'd get another to use as a DD and keep my 6mt m3 (or similar) as the occasional fun car. It's a great combo.

Edit: BEV as my only car, I'd learn to live with it and I'd probably be fairly happy. Let's say 95%, but that last 5% is significant.
    Well articulated! The extra range on the 2019 is super helpful - I drove mine 180 miles home from the dealer and made it 140 before the range extender kicked on.

Quote Originally Posted by 28firefighter View Post
    Well articulated! The extra range on the 2019 is super helpful - I drove mine 180 miles home from the dealer and made it 140 before the range extender kicked on.
    Thanks! I would have loved the additional range of the larger batteries from later models like yours. At 140 miles, multiple-stop outings would have been possible for my commutes, and I wouldn't have to be concerned whether the interim destinations 1) had a charging station, and 2) it was available when I arrived. Game changer.

Great, now I'm browsing for used i3 BEVs... not that I need another car at the moment.

I don’t know where you are, but...

https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/2019-...55-mo/275233/5

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast