Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Review of Flow Design's Front Splitter/Lip

This is a review of a lip I recently installed on my ZHP sedan myself. This is my own unbiased review and I am not being compensated in any way by it. It just seemed like a fairly obscure product that didn't have a lot of reviews, so I decided to add mine.

I'd been toying with the idea of getting something to set the front end of my 330i apart just a little bit more for a while. Looked at various AM splitters, didn't really like how they looked or fit that much. Decided a lip might be a better-looking choice. Seems like there's not a whole lot of options for an e46 non-M sedan, and even fewer that fit the Aero/Performance package with the M-Tech II bumper.

However, I liked this one: https://flowdesignsaustralia.com/col...front-splitter. I read one review online that was somewhat unfavorable, but the price was very reasonable even with shipping, so I decided to try it out.

I ordered it directly from Flow Designs on a Friday. The following Monday, they had it shipped. The other review warned about extra customs charges, but I believe it actually was factored into the shipping. At no point did I need to pay anything more than what I paid at checkout. Rather astoundingly, 4 days later it was on my doorstep. I'm still somewhat baffled (but very happy) that it came so quickly.

The instructions were quite simple. They recommend removing your front bumper, and as it's held on with 2 T50 bolts, it's easy to do so. My bumper was actually the perfect candidate, as it was painted very poorly after incurring some damage and warped at the top, so it's on the list to be replaced. The lip is a single piece that bolts directly to the bottom of the bumper cover (with pre-drilled holes that line up for doing so).

Results:

Name:  IMG_6614.JPG
Views: 1407
Size:  1.91 MB

Name:  IMG_6617.JPG
Views: 1259
Size:  1.39 MB

Name:  IMG_6619.JPG
Views: 1354
Size:  1.40 MB

I really like the look of this lip. It gives the car a more aggressive appearance from the front without going overboard. It also stiffens up the bottom of the bumper cover considerably.

A few observations. Firstly, I'm not a big fan of the printed logo on the front (which is quite visible), but for now it's okay. The lip is made from a plastic called high-density polyethylene (HDPE). This material is very strong and it very unlikely to suffer much (or any) damage from tapping a curb. However, an interesting thing to note is that it's rather easy to mar the surface, due to the way they've treated it (seems to be buffed/polished for a satin-y feel). Even with a fingernail, you can leave a fairly easily visible slightly darker like from where the finish is scratched away slightly. It does gouge as well with firmer pressure.

Name:  IMG_6610.JPG
Views: 1225
Size:  1.11 MB

This was also mentioned in the previous review as being one of the bigger negatives. The first thought that came to mind was wrapping it for protection. However, HDPE can be very hard to wrap because conventional vinyl will not adhere to the surface due to the material being very "low energy". My plan is to wrap it with a special high-tack vinyl made exactly for this purpose. Hopefully a clear laminate will further protect it against road debris. As soon as I have the materials, I plan on following up in a subsequent post.
    2005 Jet Black ZHP Sedan "Adriana" || TunedByDaniel || BMW Alarm + Fuel Lock || ORION V4s || Eagle Eyes || 435i Coupe Sport Seats || Perforated Leather X5 M-Sport Wheel || FLOW Designs Lip

Reserved for part 2.
    2005 Jet Black ZHP Sedan "Adriana" || TunedByDaniel || BMW Alarm + Fuel Lock || ORION V4s || Eagle Eyes || 435i Coupe Sport Seats || Perforated Leather X5 M-Sport Wheel || FLOW Designs Lip

Review of Flow Design's Front Splitter/Lip

Interested in how this holds up long term. I have been eyeing this for a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish they offered this in carbon 1x1 or 2x2 weave over their poly material
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Thanks for the review! I'd love a front splitter of some sort, even though it just means I'd scrape even more often.

I've always had eyes for the Hartge front splitter, by they were NLA by the time I learned about them.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Thanks for the review! I'd love a front splitter of some sort, even though it just means I'd scrape even more often.

I've always had eyes for the Hartge front splitter, by they were NLA by the time I learned about them.
    I considered that one too, but wasn't really a fan of the way it curves upward at the end of the bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by usinjin View Post
    I considered that one too, but wasn't really a fan of the way it curves upward at the end of the bumper.
    +1, the curved ends don't really flow with the E46's body lines IMO.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Great review, thanks! I wld consider this.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by usinjin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    +1, the curved ends don't really flow with the E46's body lines IMO.
    Y'all smoking crazy pills, I like that look as long as it is close to the edge of the front bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Y'all smoking crazy pills, I like that look as long as it is close to the edge of the front bumper.
    Haha, to each his own!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast