Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

WTB: Dinan Throttle Body E46 330i

Hi Folks, Wanted to see if anyone had a Dinan Throttle Body for an E46 330i for sale? Good or better condition preferred. New is also ok.

Please message me with what you have. Thanks!
    trancenation's Alpine Weiss ZHP

If you're specifically after the Dinan, then I can't help you there, but if you're after a big bore throttle body, I have some in the garage. I haven't listed them for sale yet because I haven't tested them in my car and don't want to risk shipping bad product.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    If you're specifically after the Dinan, then I can't help you there, but if you're after a big bore throttle body, I have some in the garage. I haven't listed them for sale yet because I haven't tested them in my car and don't want to risk shipping bad product.
    Pizza man is cooking something in his garage and I would love to learn more about those throttle bodies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sounds like Mr. Dremel was involved
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post

Reverse bondo

I might be interested, in for more details.
    trancenation's Alpine Weiss ZHP

Quote Originally Posted by RUS_ZHP View Post
    Pizza man is cooking something in his garage and I would love to learn more about those throttle bodies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Reverse bondo
    Lmao yeah anything that gets fabricated in Pizza's Garage would have too much liability to distribute to the general public -- I assume sole risk of my Frankenstein contraptions turning on me.

Quote Originally Posted by trancenation View Post
    I might be interested, in for more details.
    STORY TIME

First of all, you should know that I AM A SLUT for throttle response. I'll do anything to make the engine react quicker to input (short ram intake gang, shark tune gang). I found a handful of firsthand reviews saying that a big bore throttle body made a noticeable improvement in throttle response and 5-10hp/tq depending on associated mods (intake, headers, exhaust, etc).

So I went looking for a BBTB and found the options on the market uhh less than ideal (see: priced out the wazoo), but I knew that I didn't have the tools or knowledge to make one myself. I do a lot of work with machine shops so I found a guy that had been doing head and throttle body work for years and even had a few happy customers that paid him to make one for their M54B30. The cost for him to set up and machine a single TB was absurd, so we spent a lot of time hashing out a quantity that (1) wouldn't take forever to acquire cores for, (2) would make it worth his time to set up and run on his machines, and (3) would bring the cost low enough that my wife wouldn't leave me after this adventure. I was hoping to to be able to sell them for a reasonable price, with no core charge, and cover my investment + the cost of the one that I keep.

TL,DR: I bought 15 BBTB's hoping I could sell them for like $250-300

**Aside: Is anyone else at the point in life where you've gotten so busy that you have more money for projects than time to work on them? Like, my dumbass went and spent thousands of dollars for a box of parts that I left sitting on a shelf in the garage, only to think of it when I saw this thread. Cripes.

***Edit: I just read that again and it kind of sounds like a douchey flex. No, I don't have piles of money sitting around to blow on a car (see: driving a 15 year old car), but I like to give myself a monthly parts allowance and save up for a bit and buy cool shit so I can put it in the corner of the garage and never install it because I'm always working to make enough money to pay my bills and still buy car parts oh shit it's a cycle. I think this was a big bonus+tax return purchase that I figured I would recoup in a few weeks lol
    Last edited by ZHPizza; 08-06-2020 at 01:36 PM.

I'll post comparison pics later, but here's the only BBTB options for our cars that had me frustrated enough to have 15 made

Stock
    Diameter: 68mm
    - standard butterfly
    - total nerd
    - not even engraved

Dinan
    Diameter: 71mm (9% more area over stock)
    - standard butterfly
    - definitely the prettiest of the bunch -- look at that engraved D!
    - at that price I assume they use a brand new VDO TB
    - if not then holy shit what a robbery
    Pricing: $899.95, free shipping, $65.25 sales tax [for me]
    Total = $965 lmao wtf

Riot Racing
    Diameter: 72mm (12% more area over stock)
    - single sided butterfly bar looks cool
    - flowbead blasted finish (dull gray aluminum)
    Pricing: $400 + $20 shipping + $100 core
    Total = $520/$440 after core exchange (assume $20 to ship your core back)

Pizza's Garage
    Diameter: 72mm (12% more area over stock)
    - standard butterfly (I don't see a real benefit to the single side so it would just add unnecessary cost and potential failure points to the part)
    - used part finish (again don't want to add superfluous cost for a part that is completely hidden)
    - new milled throttle plate! (lol of course it's a new plate they all have new plates)
    - no engraving on the throttle plate (I mean for $15 I can bust out my engraver and scribble something on the throttle plate if you want to feel like you have something special. I'll promise you some sweet logo, but it's gonna be a dick....It's always a dick.)
    - no core charge. I don't want it. Keep your stock TB so you can swap it back when you have a vacuum leak and try to blame it on Pizza's BBTB
    Pricing: I think $250 was my breakeven and $300 was where I actually made a little profit but y'all caught me in a pinch where I don't have my notes in front of me so I gotta dig up my receipts and figure this out (furiously pretending like I have notes rn)
    Total = $lessthantheotherdudes

I was planning to install one this spring after I finished my headers+exhaust build and then get a back-to-back dyno comparing stock/bored so that I could post it on the internet and have a bunch of crotchety dweebs tell me it's fake and BBTB's don't do anything and there must have been a mosquito on the intake in the first one whatever

So since my car is still incapacitated because I can't finish a project, I'll make a deal with anyone that wants to try it out and share their thoughts and feelings (mega-fricken-deal if you do a before/after dyno and have intake+headers+exhaust so it looks real good)

I may be interested! No before dyno... but I am planning on having it dyno tuned at Tuning Tech FS sometime in the nearish future.

Mods:
    CAI down to the bumper with a 6" cone and velocity stack
    Ebay headers
    3" full exhaust with two resonators and a vibrant muffler (all straight through style)
    3.38 diff - soon to be 3.64
    Apex 17x9 with 245/40 (should make a slight dyno difference in tq at least due to less rotating mass and shorter ratio vs stock)

Also full disclosure it is a base 330ci non-ZHP

Shop Advance Auto Parts
    Hmmm Pizzaman, now you have me thinking... maybe I should pick up a junkyard TB to experiment on. I have access to a machine shop on campus, shouldn't be too hard to bore out the TB on the mill. And get a new plate either waterjet, or CNC milled. Only difficult thing would be setting the gap between the plate and the bore such that when it's closed, you have a similar enough pressure drop to stock such that the IACV has no problems maintaining idle
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast