Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 106

Thread: Steve's 2006 Imola ZHP Cabrio MT thread

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wellesley, Ma
    Posts
    546

    Steve's 2006 Imola ZHP Cabrio MT thread

    Hi all--
    So I've owned a ZHP before... an 04 sedan that I loved an eventually sold because I tore up my elbow and couldn't drive manual anymore... Flash forward a few years till now--I've got a few cars--a '14 F10 535i MSport (just use it for work, pretty but boring AF to drive), and a '19 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon (love it, drive it all the time)... I just bought my daughter her first car--a 2018 Jeep Wrangler that is a manual--been driving it for a few months and really missed the manual and my elbow didn't hurt, so I decided I'd buy something fun. I'm early 40s now so a red convertible seemed like the proper mid-life crisis move.

    Thanks to members @28firefighter (for finding it) and @BADCLOWN (for doing a PPI for me)... I now own this.
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...900-Cincinnati

    I had it shipped from Ohio directly to my friend's BMW repair shop in Belmont, MA. He's going to replace a bunch of parts on it, then it will be ready for some summer-only use / winter storage... Thinking 3-5k miles/yr

    FYI--the plan for this is to bring it back to stock, with a few minor modifications. I'll post more as it gets worked on...

    Anyhow, here's some "before" pics:

    Name:  00H0H_jpPklvOuVk6_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  251.4 KB

    Name:  01212_bk9kG8wTYpf_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  141.8 KB

    Name:  00E0E_ai2WGuXbnpr_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  246.1 KB

    Name:  00404_8ZIWILzC0dK_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  134.4 KB

    Name:  IMG_6325.JPG
Views: 467
Size:  102.5 KB

    Name:  carrier2.JPG
Views: 485
Size:  217.4 KB

  2. #2
    Thrilled that it worked out for you!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    314
    Welcome back - I remember your SGM ZHP sedan from back in the day (I had the same car but sold it years ago as well). My daughter just started driving too - I actually tried to find a nice ZHP for her but couldn't find anything clean so ended up with a Volvo S60.

    Looking forward to updates on your new ZHP. If it's anything like your previous one, I know you'll have it all dialed in with an OEM+ look.

    Jeff
    E90 M3
    F15 X5 50i M Sport
    Former ZHP owner

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wellesley, Ma
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
    Welcome back - I remember your SGM ZHP sedan from back in the day (I had the same car but sold it years ago as well). My daughter just started driving too - I actually tried to find a nice ZHP for her but couldn't find anything clean so ended up with a Volvo S60.

    Looking forward to updates on your new ZHP. If it's anything like your previous one, I know you'll have it all dialed in with an OEM+ look.
    Thanks! Never thought I'd own another ZHP again, but figured I'd love to keep a convertible at the summer place for years to come, and know/love this car, so...

    Anyhow, here's the parts list. This costs more than the car LOL. My mechanic and I went through the car and I asked him to get back to me with an ideal list of things to replace--given that it is a 14 year old car--and that the car is going to live on Cape Cod--2 hours from his shop (so it won't be going back and forth every month for work etc).

    This is how we've broken things down for replacement (NOTE: some need to be replaced, some we are doing, because we are in there working already)


    Engine / Cooling:
    - engine flush / oil change / oil filter kit
    - thermostat
    - water pump
    - expansion tank
    - radiator hoses
    - spark plugs
    - ignition coils
    - alternator
    - starter
    - crank position sensor, o-ring
    - exhaust cam sensor
    - intake cam sensor

    Suspension:
    - OEM front and rear struts + springs
    - strut mounts
    - front sway bar links
    - control arms
    - M3 rear subframe mounts
    - sway bar bushings
    - M3 trailing arm bushings and limiter kit
    - M3 ball joints
    - undercoat car with POR15

    Shifting / Steering
    - BMW performance SSK + clips and bushings
    - Steering rack (this needed replacing)

    Misc:
    - battery
    - replace Xenon headlight bulbs
    - hood struts
    - trunk struts
    - Dinan strut tower brace
    - black kideny grills
    - OEM sport short roof antenna
    - license plate bracket

    Alignment / Wheels Tires:
    - 4 Michelin Pilot Sport AS/4 for the 135s


    Misc / Interior:
    - ordered new armrest and all the black plastic interior trim pieces (cupholder, coin tray, center console etc)
    - M dead peadal
    - OEM floormats
    - clay and wax entire car..

    - I'm going to replace the radio in a few months... I'll update when I do that. Anything major I'm missing LOL?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    314
    Quite a list! Did the prior owner(s) do little to no maintenance, or you just want to start fresh from square one?

    What about a new steering wheel? I imagine the original is dirty with hardened leather?

    How's the windshield? I usually replace mine when buying used as they're often pitted, or just not mint enough for me

    Jeff
    E90 M3
    F15 X5 50i M Sport
    Former ZHP owner

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wellesley, Ma
    Posts
    546
    The 2 owners were very old--and friends. Great service history for first owner, all dealer work. When he died and his friend took over the car, he ignored a lot of stuff and deferred things... Anyhow, it's 14 years old, and I intend to keep it for some time, so figured start fresh and o from there. We are doing a POR undercoating as well to prevent rust up north...

    Forgot to mention... Adding a Diffsonline 3.38 limited slip differential...

    Also forgot about the steering wheel! I ordered this OEM M3 one with perforated leather and tri-stitching... Also ordered a new leather shift boot ebrake boot.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M5-E39-...72.m2749.l2649

    Will prob do the windshield later--those are only done through glass companies in Massachusetts, so will coordinate later.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,003
    Quote Originally Posted by sna77 View Post

    Forgot to mention... Adding a Diffsonline 3.38 limited slip differential...
    Welcome back, and great car! Do you mind sharing which options you'll choose on the 3.38. Would love to make this upgrade sometime in the future, and I get lost with all of the different types of LSDs and which would suit our cars or my usage the best.
    - Marc

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wellesley, Ma
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by zhpnsnv View Post
    Welcome back, and great car! Do you mind sharing which options you'll choose on the 3.38. Would love to make this upgrade sometime in the future, and I get lost with all of the different types of LSDs and which would suit our cars or my usage the best.
    This is my config (street car only)... I'd call them before and walk through the options. Dan is great over there...

    Name:  DOL.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  57.3 KB

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southington, CT
    Posts
    1,180
    Wow, looks great!

    When I bought my '05 6MT, I immediately flushed the coolant, transmission, differential and changed the brake and power steering fluids just to have a baseline (there was no history of it being done).

    You may also want to lubricate all the moving parts on your convertible top. There was a great thread on this, but that thread is now gone along with the M3forum..... but the gist of it was:

    motor oil on pivital points
    silicon grease on sliding points
    clean "fuzzy" rubber, and gummi fPlege the rubber parts

    and you might want to consider a wind deflector if one didn't come with the car. Great addition for drives with the wife IMHO
    Pete


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wellesley, Ma
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
    Wow, looks great!

    When I bought my '05 6MT, I immediately flushed the coolant, transmission, differential and changed the brake and power steering fluids just to have a baseline (there was no history of it being done).

    You may also want to lubricate all the moving parts on your convertible top. There was a great thread on this, but that thread is now gone along with the M3forum..... but the gist of it was:

    motor oil on pivital points
    silicon grease on sliding points
    clean "fuzzy" rubber, and gummi fPlege the rubber parts

    and you might want to consider a wind deflector if one didn't come with the car. Great addition for drives with the wife IMHO
    Great tip on the convertible top. Thanks!

    Never looked at the wind deflector--it blocks the rear seats, right? Easily removable?

    I have some weird issue where when I hit the top up button and it is supposed to roll all the windows up--the passenger window does not roll up. They are going to update the car software, reinitialize the modules, then troubleshoot from there...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2006 ZHP Cabrio Auto 70k Miles $9988 (Wash. D.C.) Craigslist
    By WALSTIB in forum BMW 330 ZHPs For Sale (vehicles only)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-31-2017, 08:05 PM
  2. 2006 ZHP Cabrio BSM (475)/LB2 (N6HC) Auto 153k Miles $5999 (Charlotte)
    By WALSTIB in forum BMW 330 ZHPs For Sale (vehicles only)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2017, 09:21 AM
  3. For Sale: 2006 BMW 330 ZHP cabrio blue/gray, 6MT, 60k mis, asking $24k, Dallas
    By aurelius in forum BMW 330 ZHPs For Sale (vehicles only)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 11:19 AM
  4. Performance Imports customer appreciation day. Met Steve Dinan
    By Alphatek45 in forum General -- ZHP Related
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 07:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •